News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: Bobafett on July 03, 2012, 01:37:22 PM
so here is the scoop.  The day after my dad's funeral, i decided to get country and western, taking about 10 guns and 1000 rounds of ammo out to the woods with 2 cases of high life with a good friend of mine.  I should not have been driving, but i was. 

On the way to drop my buddy off, i thought that 30mph was about good for a dirt/gravel road.  It was not.  Totaled my dad's truck.  beer, guns, and ammo went everywhere, airbags went off, etc.  Luckily we had our seat belts on.  And luckily my family is from a town of about 500 and my dad was known by everyone in the county.  So the sheriff showed up and didn't even get out of his car!

Needless to say, my Mom was really crushed by this.  I think it was a sign that i needed some introspection and change.  So yesterday was my 3 week anniversary without a drink.  and it has really not been that hard.  I had a feeling of entitlement about having a few beers after work.  And i never saw myself as an alcoholic.  I mean, 3-5 beers a night seemed reasonable.  But it was the times when i would have 10-12 when it was not alright.  and man do i love some Gin and Tonic in the summer!

So, in those three weeks, i have converted to drinking sweet tea and lemonade, and have begun to eat like a horse.  I have weighed 138-145 for about 10 years now.  Well, i weighed in at 149 last night!  Energy level is up, positivity is up, life is good.

Thanks paug.  i like you guys a whole lot!

Congrats on the positive changes. Do you think this is something you want to pursue long term or just taking a break? Either way, solid work on the three weeks.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Bobafett

i think it will be for a long time...i mean i love good beer, but not as much as i love my family, and if i keep up the drinking, i will do something to really fuck up that good thing.  thank god my wreck was not out here going over teton pass!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Bobafett on July 03, 2012, 10:28:28 PM
i think it will be for a long time...i mean i love good beer, but not as much as i love my family, and if i keep up the drinking, i will do something to really fuck up that good thing.  thank god my wreck was not out here going over teton pass!

For sure, best of luck dude.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

MeltMe

Quote from: Bobafett on July 03, 2012, 10:28:28 PM
3 weeks is huge man and glad you're ok from the wreck ...I didn't grasp the whole family thing for a long time and I did fuck all that up.  Luckily I got it back after ALOT of work.  Sometimes an experience like you went through is what it takes to see the bigger picture.   

Congrats JJ & BB!  Keep it up...I haven't had a smoke in 2 years, 3 months, and 7 days....but who's counting??  It does get easier, I promise ;)   The worst part is actually stopping, and I don't want to do that again.
nothing i see can be taken from me...

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

justjezmund

congrats budd

and like i didn't know where all the money for my vinyl was coming from  :roll:

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

kellerb

With the help of Chantix, looks like I'm joining this club

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: kellerb on November 02, 2012, 09:05:56 AM

Awesome man, good luck.  :clap:

gainesvillegreen

Good luck Keller.

18 months free of cigarettes and counting.  :mrgreen:

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: kellerb on November 02, 2012, 09:05:56 AM

make sure you do the full regiment...so I've been told.  I know many people that didn't do the whole thing, including myself and struggled.

Its been about 13 months for me. 
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

sls.stormyrider

strong work by all.

fyi - officially, Chantix is supposed to be a 3 month deal, but some people need if for longer - up to 6 months
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."