News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: kellerb on November 02, 2012, 09:05:56 AM
With the help of Chantix, looks like I'm joining this club

What's the password? You have to be nominated by a current member. You realize we have monthly dues too right? Have you signed up for the listserv? Also, if you attach a penny to a postcard, you'll get 12 free cd's, as long as you promise to buy 5 more at regular club prices within a year. Someone will be by to show you the secret handshake. You should be receiving your membership card shortly, please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Have you met Betsy, she's the head of the new members welcoming committee? She'll get you all registered. Just fill out the paper work as best as you can. When was the date of your last tetanus shot? Have you donated blood or been with any prostitutes in the last 3 years? We're going to need a urine sample, as well. Is it ok to contact your previous employer? I'm also going to need some mail or bills as proof of residence.

I think that covers it. Welcome!  :-D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

fastfingers12

Congrats everyone! I made it all summer tobacco free. Not one dip. Then I move back to school, move in with Zimbra, and started right back up! Thanks Zimbra! +k  :frustrated:
That's a hundred nineteen to you and me

Lifeboy

Quote from: fastfingers12 on November 08, 2012, 03:32:01 PM
Congrats everyone! I made it all summer tobacco free. Not one dip. Then I move back to school, move in with Zimbra, and started right back up! Thanks Zimbra! +k  :frustrated:

Yeah, I dip a can of Copenhagen a day...

:shakehead:
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

fastfingers12

Quote from: Lifeboy on November 08, 2012, 07:45:39 PM

DAMN fool!!! You got me beat.
That's a hundred nineteen to you and me

gah

Quote from: fastfingers12 on November 08, 2012, 08:03:31 PM

Do you guys do this while hunting squirrels, making moonshine, watching nascar, chanting USA USA USA, lamenting the fall of our nation due to it having a black president, or some combination of the aforementioned?

kellerb

Quote from: goodabouthood on November 14, 2012, 05:02:28 PM
Quote from: fastfingers12 on November 08, 2012, 08:03:31 PM

Do you guys do this while hunting squirrels, making moonshine, watching nascar, chanting USA USA USA, lamenting the fall of our nation due to it having a black president, or some combination of the aforementioned?

...."So what's the bad news, doc?"
"The other ring is chewin' tobacco"

In more ironic news, Marlboro sent me my birthday present.  Somehow I doubt Chantix will do that a year from now, but you never know.

/queue ZZ Top Song

mbw

just got my Safe Cig electronic cigarette last night.  its pretty cool.
i think the quit date is tomorrow, or at least giving it a shot this way.
let us know how that chantix works keller.
either way, i think i am dedicated to quitting one way or the other now, i can literally feel it killing me, not to mention the cost here is ridiculous and is going up in 2013

gah

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on November 30, 2012, 09:13:57 AM
either way, i think i am dedicated to quitting one way or the other now, i can literally feel it killing me, not to mention the cost here is ridiculous and is going up in 2013

:clap:

Congrats on this decision to possibly extend your life expectancy. I think you'll enjoy those additional years even if you can't wipe your own ass.

Seriously, good luck, it's not easy, but well worth it.

VA $l!m

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on November 30, 2012, 09:13:57 AM

good luk bro. you can do it.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

kellerb

Chantix is still working, and I'm officially at one month smoke-free. 
The 1st week on it, you ramp up the dose but keep smoking.  I couldn't really *feel* less cravings during that week, but I noticed by the end of the week, I had subconsciously begun taking really big hits, like I was smoking an ultra-light.  I assume this is because my brain was not getting the immediate nicotine hit it was used to.

The 2nd week, you quit cold-turkey.  It's good that it's set up where you set the quit date, and you start taking the drug one week early.  It's kind of like "Well, I'm all-in now.  I spent $100 and I've been taking this drug for a week, let's do this." I had timed my last pack out almost perfectly, so I had one last cigarette on the way to work on my quit date.  ALMOST perfectly.  I had one spare cigarette, which I threw in the freezer as like an "emergency smoke."  Don't bother doing this - I smoked it as soon as I got home from work.  That was the last one.

Cravings still happened (and continue to, a bit) but they are VERY mild compared to normal.  If you know the feeling where you run out of cigarettes and you head to the store immediately to get a fresh pack - that feeling does not exist.

Surprisingly, drinking doesn't seem to affect cravings.  I'm somewhat surprised.

The main side effect is that it gives me an upset stomach.  This is lessened if I drink a bunch of water and take it on a full stomach (which are the directions anyway).

I sleep pretty soundly, so I haven't really been affected by the dreams that some people mention.  But, I've been waking up every morning with like Superman morning wood, so if anything, the dreams must be good. 

sls.stormyrider

awesome, keep it up.

and better yet, hope you find something  / someone worthile to occupy your morning
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VA $l!m

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2012, 11:24:38 AM
Chantix is still working, and I'm officially at one month smoke-free. 
The 1st week on it, you ramp up the dose but keep smoking.  I couldn't really *feel* less cravings during that week, but I noticed by the end of the week, I had subconsciously begun taking really big hits, like I was smoking an ultra-light.  I assume this is because my brain was not getting the immediate nicotine hit it was used to.

The 2nd week, you quit cold-turkey.  It's good that it's set up where you set the quit date, and you start taking the drug one week early.  It's kind of like "Well, I'm all-in now.  I spent $100 and I've been taking this drug for a week, let's do this." I had timed my last pack out almost perfectly, so I had one last cigarette on the way to work on my quit date.  ALMOST perfectly.  I had one spare cigarette, which I threw in the freezer as like an "emergency smoke."  Don't bother doing this - I smoked it as soon as I got home from work.  That was the last one.

Cravings still happened (and continue to, a bit) but they are VERY mild compared to normal.  If you know the feeling where you run out of cigarettes and you head to the store immediately to get a fresh pack - that feeling does not exist.

Surprisingly, drinking doesn't seem to affect cravings.  I'm somewhat surprised.

The main side effect is that it gives me an upset stomach.  This is lessened if I drink a bunch of water and take it on a full stomach (which are the directions anyway).

I sleep pretty soundly, so I haven't really been affected by the dreams that some people mention.  But, I've been waking up every morning with like Superman morning wood, so if anything, the dreams must be good.
i lol'd.
probably due to increased circulation i would guess.
smoking really can screw with that.
its one of the main reasons i need to quit.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

PIE-GUY

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2012, 11:24:38 AM
I've been waking up every morning with like Superman morning wood, so if anything, the dreams must be good.

Quote from: slslbs on November 30, 2012, 12:07:19 PM
awesome, keep it up.

lulz
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

UncleEbinezer

My cravings comes at very strange times.  Drinking is not an issue as I do that every night. 

The worst one I had recently was when I went out golfing. 

Keep up the good work.  It gets easier.   
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

kellerb

Quote from: VA $l!m on November 30, 2012, 12:14:58 PM
probably due to increased circulation i would guess.
smoking really can screw with that.
its one of the main reasons i need to quit.

I don't think my circulation improved that quickly, nor that specifically.  But, I'm not a doctor.  It could be that its just making me have to pee more.