News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph92

Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 20, 2020, 04:01:51 PM
My daughter just got the new MB Air for her birthday a couple of weeks back.  More dough than we would usually spend on a bday but the grandparents all chipped in and we had to make something happen since she is now doing all of her schooling online.  Got $100 off from education program.  Anyway, this thing is bitchin.  My main PC is a 2015 27 retina iMac and I also have a 10 year old MBP but that's barely hanging on.  New MBAir is dope.  Fast and light and a lot of cool features.  I'll get a new laptop at some point, and would normally go MBP, but from what I have seen so far, not sure why I wouldn't go Air for  myself.
My only gripe with the Air and the "Macbook" (12" model) is that they don't have cooling fans, which I've definitely seen a lot of them fry themselves. It's nice they're quiet, but not worth the risk, especially if you do anything more than web browsing and office programs.  Go for the MBP, spend the extra money so hopefully it'll last longer overall.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Caravan2001

Quote from: ph92 on April 22, 2020, 10:26:01 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 20, 2020, 04:01:51 PM
My daughter just got the new MB Air for her birthday a couple of weeks back.  More dough than we would usually spend on a bday but the grandparents all chipped in and we had to make something happen since she is now doing all of her schooling online.  Got $100 off from education program.  Anyway, this thing is bitchin.  My main PC is a 2015 27 retina iMac and I also have a 10 year old MBP but that's barely hanging on.  New MBAir is dope.  Fast and light and a lot of cool features.  I'll get a new laptop at some point, and would normally go MBP, but from what I have seen so far, not sure why I wouldn't go Air for  myself.
My only gripe with the Air and the "Macbook" (12" model) is that they don't have cooling fans, which I've definitely seen a lot of them fry themselves. It's nice they're quiet, but not worth the risk, especially if you do anything more than web browsing and office programs.  Go for the MBP, spend the extra money so hopefully it'll last longer overall.

Good to know though I wish I would have known that before purchasing. She doesn't do any power using but she does use it for 6-8 hours a day for school and movies.

tet

the Air does have a fan these days I believe.  anyway, they are extremely well-designed and will cool naturally unless you are trying to play serious games on them and/or are in Death Valley...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy

Quote from: tet on April 23, 2020, 08:36:00 PM
the Air does have a fan these days I believe.  anyway, they are extremely well-designed and will cool naturally unless you are trying to play serious games on them and/or are in Death Valley...

I also don't recommend sitting them on a pillow.

But yeah, mine is a 2018 and it has a fan and it's the best computer I've ever owned.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 28, 2020, 11:51:56 AM

But yeah, mine is a 2018 and it has a fan and it's the best computer I've ever owned.

I've had both the Pro and the Air.
Currently on my 2nd air (2018) and I concur with RJ.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

tet

agreed about the pillow - i have one of those cushioned lap desks and they're fantastic if you're sitting on the couch.  also won't fry your balls that way  :wtu:
-Phish

ph92

Maybe im mistaken and it is only the MacBook (12") that doesn't have the fan. Those ones suck though haha.
Make America Melt Again!

tet

Quote from: ph92 on April 28, 2020, 09:26:43 PM

Maybe im mistaken and it is only the MacBook (12") that doesn't have the fan. Those ones suck though haha.

the very first Air did not have a fan - that was one of its big selling points if I recall.  they also engineered one of the quietest fans ever made for later Macbook Pros and i think that eventually made it into the Air line so they could ramp up the processor a bit more.  i love my MBP, but the Air is just a stunning design and a perfect computer for 95% of the population that don't need power.
-Phish

Caravan2001

They don't make the regular MacBook any longer.  Now it's just the Air and the MBP. 

ph92

Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 29, 2020, 05:57:30 PM

They don't make the regular MacBook any longer.  Now it's just the Air and the MBP. 
Yeah I knew that. And from what tet said, then I'm not losing my mind ... yet  :crazy:

My shop hardly seems Mac computers anymore, they've really locked down repairs on them. Most of the newer computers need to be calibrated any time any important hardware component is swapped, which means 3rd party shops can't touch them unless it's something simple like a screen or battery and a few other minor repairs. But I will say they've improved quality the overall quality. I haven't seen any of the newer ones with serious "known issues" like the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 GPU issues.

And I will say, I dig the newer designs. But I cannot stand their keyboards. IMO they're trash and they keep getting worse. But that trackpad is so nice, and of course the displays are to die for.
Make America Melt Again!

rowjimmy

I think it's a matter of use and comfort. I am so used to this Mac keyboard I have a hard time with any other.
I have a Dell latitude (Surface clone) here to my left and HATE the keyboard.

VDB

Quote from: ph92 on April 30, 2020, 01:26:45 AM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 29, 2020, 05:57:30 PM

Yeah I knew that. And from what tet said, then I'm not losing my mind ... yet  :crazy:

My shop hardly seems Mac computers anymore, they've really locked down repairs on them. Most of the newer computers need to be calibrated any time any important hardware component is swapped, which means 3rd party shops can't touch them unless it's something simple like a screen or battery and a few other minor repairs. But I will say they've improved quality the overall quality. I haven't seen any of the newer ones with serious "known issues" like the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 GPU issues.

And I will say, I dig the newer designs. But I cannot stand their keyboards. IMO they're trash and they keep getting worse. But that trackpad is so nice, and of course the displays are to die for.

My wife has one of the recent MacBooks with the butterfly keyboard. I hate it—it feels like typing on a countertop. I understand the new MBPs have added back some of the lost key travel but not all of it.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

I have gotten my hands on a MBA with Catalina on it. I quickly noticed that fonts appear faintly blurry and too-light. I did a side by side with a MBA running Yosemite and the difference is there. Apparently this is a known thing; I've toggled the "use font smoothing" pref and it does something in some cases but doesn't heal the problem. Is this OS just plain not designed for non-retina displays? I think I'm going to downgrade that MBA (it's the better machine) in order to comfortably use it.
Is this still Wombat?

ph92

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 30, 2020, 11:30:26 AM
I think it's a matter of use and comfort. I am so used to this Mac keyboard I have a hard time with any other.
I have a Dell latitude (Surface clone) here to my left and HATE the keyboard.
Yeah i am that way but with the IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad keyboards.  Especially cause I use the trackpoint, AKA keyboard nipple, I cannot use any other computer. Mechanical keyboards are king though, I've built a few. And there's nothing is as satisfying to type on.

I did like the 2008-12 MBP unibody keyboards though, they had a real nice feel.
Make America Melt Again!

emay