News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

AKRON/FAMILY

Started by Gumbo72203, June 16, 2009, 03:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lifeboy

Quote from: Augustus on January 22, 2012, 07:53:36 AM
Quote from: Lifeboy on January 22, 2012, 04:13:17 AM
Quote from: Augustus on January 22, 2012, 02:24:04 AM
I can sum up the show in two words.

Another Sky > Ed is a Portal > Everyone is Guilty

niiice.

What can I say?
This kid *LUV*s bitin' my styles.

It's about time!

Where else could I have gotten it from?  :wink:
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Augustus

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 22, 2012, 07:58:11 AM

Damn. Pretty sure that qualifies as primo sickness.

What'd they do for encore?

Fuji II > Light Emerges ? Or did they play another Blessing Force, too?

I'm curious, as well.

We jet right during that break.
As far as worst venues that I've been to goes, this place is King.
Horrible, death trap.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Augustus on January 22, 2012, 08:32:09 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on January 22, 2012, 07:58:11 AM

Damn. Pretty sure that qualifies as primo sickness.

What'd they do for encore?

Fuji II > Light Emerges ? Or did they play another Blessing Force, too?

I'm curious, as well.

We jet right during that break.
As far as worst venues that I've been to goes, this place is King.
Horrible, death trap.

I know I've read bad things about that place recently. I think nyctaper was hating on it on ts.com... Hopefully ine of those guys was there.

Augustus

I saw two sets clamped to the support beams up close.
We left twice to go back to the bar during the openers.
No air in that place and just PACKED in their with hipsters and mouthbreathers.
Ak went on after 12.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Augustus on January 22, 2012, 09:22:25 AM
I saw two sets clamped to the support beams up close.
We left twice to go back to the bar during the openers.
No air in that place and just PACKED in their with hipsters and mouthbreathers.
Ak went on after 12.

That'll be them. They run two sets of mic into a 4channel rig.

blatboom

nyctaper had it on his agenda.  that sounds like a sick run of songs

Augustus

Quote from: blatboom on January 22, 2012, 11:08:26 AM
nyctaper had it on his agenda.  that sounds like a sick run of songs

Lotta guitar issues last night.
During River, it cut out before the intricate line starts and during Everyone is Guilty.
No guitar for about two minutes and he switched to a much louder one.

mbw

i have to admit i'm not a huge fan of the live arrangement of 'light emerges.'
not that i want or expect it to sound just like the album, but the album version is just so full of life and triumphant, and the live is.......not.

the 'laying out on summer nights' through the end is still incredible live, however.

whatapiper

Can someone point me in the direction of a "must hear" show or string of songs?    Mostly I feel like I am hearing a lot of percussion and.....noise.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Augustus

Quote from: whatapiper on January 22, 2012, 12:28:49 PM
Can someone point me in the direction of a "must hear" show or string of songs?    Mostly I feel like I am hearing a lot of percussion and.....noise.

What albums do you have?

natronzero

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 22, 2012, 12:23:47 PM
not that i want or expect it to sound just like the album, but the album version is just so full of life and triumphant, and the live is.......not.

the 'laying out on summer nights' through the end is still incredible live, however.

Wow, I'm totally the opposite.
When ST II first came out, that was the only song on the album I thought was pretty disappointing, and a little corny. It took hearing live versions, and then especially seeing it live, for that song to really click with me. And now I love it.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

mbw

Quote from: natronzero on January 22, 2012, 12:34:55 PM

Wow, I'm totally the opposite.
When ST II first came out, that was the only song on the album I thought was pretty disappointing, and a little corny. It took hearing live versions, and then especially seeing it live, for that song to really click with me. And now I love it.

yes, very much the opposite.  i dig the 'corny' lyrics too though.  they are blissed out hippie dudes who dig nature, and when i let go of my own ego, thats what i am too.  (whoa)

and the music?  damn.  it some of the best shit to hit my ears in a long time.  its a journey.  i believe this is why they encore with it.  i just wish it were a bit more true to the 'original.'

natronzero

Well, percussion and noise are definitely big elements of their live shows. So I don't think that's going to be completely avoidable if that's what's turning you off.

3/3/2010 has a lot of early versions of newer songs, plus some older ones, and has a lot of little jams that don't really exist on any other recording. I find it a little more exploratory and musical than a lot of shows that came afterwards, after they had sort of solidified their current show pattern.

2/21/2007 is a nice earlier show, different incarnation of the band, and features some tunes they may never play again (RIP Running, Returning  :cry:). Sounds like a really intimate show too.

10-3-2008 is a personal favorite of mine, just a fucking monster, but there's admittedly a shitload of noise and percussion especially after They Will Appear and at the end of the show.

They've done some really interesting live-in-the-studio sets that might fit the bill. I posted a few of those a while back, but I'm sure the links are dead by now. I'll see if I can find those and put em up here.

ETA: I think just about any well-recorded version of River could convert most anybody.

ETA II: Links fixed.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

blatboom

love it

whatapiper

Quote from: Augustus on January 22, 2012, 12:33:57 PM

What albums do you have?

None, attempting to pop my cherry.  I can ignore the hype no more.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong