News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

AKRON/FAMILY

Started by Gumbo72203, June 16, 2009, 03:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfreakie

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 02, 2013, 10:02:30 PM
Also, he should have gone to that show.

This. Regrettably, I had more pressing matters on hand.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Superfreakie on May 03, 2013, 02:20:21 PM

What could be more important than seeing one of the best psych bands touring today?
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on May 03, 2013, 02:30:24 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on May 03, 2013, 02:20:21 PM

What could be more important than seeing one of the best psych bands touring today?

I went to a *censored* with a *censored*.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sophist

and then *censored* all over *censored* 's chest
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

natronzero

Akron/Family is fucking killing it out there right now.

Fuck yeah.

Friday show was awesome.
Identical setlist to Asheville/Durham/Atlanta, plus a really fun and goofy Ed to finish the encore.
I honestly didn't expect When I Was Young to be such a show stopper live. Holy crap...
I'm loving the arena-rockness of the little individual solos they're each doing (MGG after Way Up, Seth's freakout shred before Boredom, Drumz after Boredom, and Miles' bass freakout thing before Samurai). 

Just like the last time I saw them at Red 7, the only thing that sucked about the show was the venue. There were some technical issues with the sound at points (hey, it happens), but the worst thing was that it's a club with indoor and outdoor stages, and they had booked an incredibly obnoxious and LOUD rap-rock band on the outdoor stage and any time someone opened the door between the two areas (often) or Ak played a quiet part, they'd be nearly drowned out by douche-rap bullshit. Shitty, greedy booking, and really disrespectful IMO.
The guys were really cool and really focused though, and even cracked a couple of good natured jokes about the situation (Miles before the encore "We'd like to thank Turquiose Jeep for showing up tonight and helping us out with some backup vocals...(laughs)...I'm just so happy right now!").

Anyway, show ruled, and Red 7 still sux.

I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

PIE-GUY

http://www.discogs.com/AkronFamily-ltbmbzgt/release/2830707

So, I saw this in the sale bin at Waterloo yesterday and picked it up for $10. Figured 2xLP of AKAK for cheap!  Limited edition RSD release from 2011. One side in and my wife is going " turn that shit off"

Not what I expected.  Noise. Noise. Noise. Does it get better on later sides? If not, who wants it?

Nate? I'll trade for a growler fillup.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PG on May 19, 2013, 04:43:22 PM

So, I saw this in the sale bin at Waterloo yesterday and picked it up for $10. Figured 2xLP of AKAK for cheap!  Limited edition RSD release from 2011. One side in and my wife is going " turn that shit off"

Not what I expected.  Noise. Noise. Noise. Does it get better on later sides? If not, who wants it?

I'm down, been putting off grabbing that for awhile now.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Augustus

I dunno, Pie.
If <bmbz> doesn't do it for you, they might not be your cup.
It's most fans undisputed top album of theirs.

rowjimmy

It does change a bit. Some of the latter bits include Phil Cook on piano.

PIE-GUY

See, I really enjoyed the show I saw.  I'm gonna power through the whole album before passing judgement, but the wife wasn't having it. Gonna have to be another time.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

Quote from: Augustus on May 19, 2013, 07:27:58 PM
I dunno, Pie.
If <bmbz> doesn't do it for you, they might not be your cup.
It's most fans undisputed top album of theirs.

:evil:

mbw

pssssst, pie-guy - it's a 'fake' album.

in other akron/family news, well news to me...
i was watching a terrible movie called 'Hall Pass'
these old guys out trying to get laid were at a club, like where douchey people go to dance and buy $30 martini's.
amid other club bangers being spun by the DJ was Everyone is Guilty.
i was all, 'wtf?'

/sb

natronzero

Quote from: PG on May 19, 2013, 04:43:22 PM

Uh oh, you got <bmbz>'d!

So basically the story is this:
A couple months prior to when S/T II:The Cosmic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT was released, the band and some friends started leaking dramatically remixed versions of the album. I think they did it partially as a noise experiment, partially as a comment on the nature of releasing material in the digital age, and mostly to freak out the squares. I believe there are a couple of pages in this very thread of several of us freaking out as the whole thing developed.
<bmbz> is basically a compilation of some of the cooler mixes from that. Kind of a prank that became a product.
If I remember correctly, the first side is the most abrasive part of it, and there are some pretty cool, more spacy remixes later in the album. It's been a while since I've listened to it though. My lady also got pretty irritated when I first played it, and it's not something I'm often in the mood for either.
Hey, if nothing else, Waterloo has a very liberal return policy!
You should come by and get a growler anyway...

Quote from: mbw on May 19, 2013, 09:53:08 PM
in other akron/family news, well news to me...
i was watching a terrible movie called 'Hall Pass'
these old guys out trying to get laid were at a club, like where douchey people go to dance and buy $30 martini's.
amid other club bangers being spun by the DJ was Everyone is Guilty.
i was all, 'wtf?'

:? How weird. I don't know if I want to seek that out or not.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

JPhishman

So I borrowed my friends little Tascam recording device for the AK show in Portland last week. First time recording a show but I think it was a pretty good setup clamped on the balcony in a small 350 capacity room. Hicks and some other friends were on hand to witness the weirdness. They're hard to describe or sell anyone on but damn I do enjoy this band. I'm not familiar enough to track out my recording though so if anyone is capable and willing it would be appreciated.

Here's the dropbox link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21489209/Akron%3AFamily%205-22.zip

5/22/13 - Mississippi Studios - Portland, OR

ETA: Crap I just realized that the last song got split into a new track somehow. There must be some way to join them together....
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

mbw

Quote from: JPhishman on May 31, 2013, 08:31:40 PM
So I borrowed my friends little Tascam recording device for the AK show in Portland last week. First time recording a show but I think it was a pretty good setup clamped on the balcony in a small 350 capacity room. Hicks and some other friends were on hand to witness the weirdness. They're hard to describe or sell anyone on but damn I do enjoy this band. I'm not familiar enough to track out my recording though so if anyone is capable and willing it would be appreciated.

Here's the dropbox link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21489209/Akron%3AFamily%205-22.zip

5/22/13 - Mississippi Studios - Portland, OR

ETA: Crap I just realized that the last song got split into a new track somehow. There must be some way to join them together....

sweet!  no shows have been recorded west of the mississippi thus far i think.  or at least not shared yet.
your link doesn't work, but sweet!  those files can be joined easily.  i can work on it unless someone else wants to.