News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Windows 7

Started by ytowndan, July 07, 2009, 11:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

Anyone using this?  For the last few years the only operating systems I've been on were XP and Ubuntu (linux).  I'm building a new computer right now, and thinking about trying it out. 

I've never had a good enough machine to run a 64 bit OS on, but now that I'm going to, my Windows choices are between that and Vista.  I really don't want Vista because of all the bad things I hear about it, and the 64 bit XP is basically useless since it was short lived and there's only a handful of actual 64 bit stuff written for it.  So, I guess I'm either gonna go back to Ubuntu, or I'll try out Windows 7. 

Any opinions?  Good or bad.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

rowjimmy

I have run some of the betas of windows 7 and found them to be fairly stable and usable; a much better upgrade for XP than Vista.

guyforget

Ive been hardcore on Ubuntu since it began however many years ago.  I was running beta's of Warty Warthog before it was a stable release.  I dont even know how many years ago that was, but its been a lot. 

But we bought an HP laptop this year w/ 64 bit Vista Home Premium on it and I havent quite figured out what all the hate was about.  Maybe I got in at the point where its been cleaned up w/ the service packs and whatnot, Im sure it was more of a headache in the beginning.  But so far, I dont have any real complaints w/ Vista. 

Ive never had any issues w/ crashes and instability in applications, and it actually will run for a few days w/out needing rebooted.  Eventually it learns what I like to run and stops asking for permission for frequently used administrative tasks. 
-AD_

ytowndan

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 08, 2009, 07:40:37 AM
I have run some of the betas of windows 7 and found them to be fairly stable and usable; a much better upgrade for XP than Vista.

Thanks.  Once I finally get my computer put together and running, minus the smoke (see today I hate  :-D), I think I'll run Windows 7 with Ubuntu on a virtual machine to compare the two. 

Quote from: guyforget on July 08, 2009, 11:13:14 AM
Ive been hardcore on Ubuntu since it began however many years ago.  I was running beta's of Warty Warthog before it was a stable release.  I dont even know how many years ago that was, but its been a lot. 

Cool.  What GUI did (or still do) you use?  I was thinking about trying GNOME.  When I was last on Ubuntu I was using a beta of KDE, and it was kind of unstable, but I bet the bugs have been worked out by now.  I'm sure it's just a matter of personal preference, but which one did you like better?
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

guyforget

i used gnome for years when i got started on ubuntu.  eventually i got bored w/ it and switched to kubuntu...  now im bored w/ it.  maybe ill try xubuntu soon.  my linux desktop is getting old anyway, maybe it would benefit from the lighter weight xfce desktop manager. 

kubuntu is very stable now, though.  i dont run the betas anymore, though.  if you stick w/ the stable release, youll never reboot.  unless you want to load the new kernel after an update... 
-AD_

tet

been running the Win7 RC thru VMWare Fusion, it's quite nice. don't have access to the neat Aero stuff but other than that, it's certainly a worthy upgrade to the Windoze side of things...  certainly a step in the right direction, while leaving the other foot clearly stuck in the 25 year-old mud - there's still a registry, there's still indecipherable notifications of changes installers and apps want to make to it (introduced in Vista), and of course a lot of stuff won't work naturally with it unless drivers are updated. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy

* rowjimmy likes the registry

I can work in there just fine.

Declan

I'm running the release content at home right now x86... kinda wish i put x64 on but ill have to work that out when i get the real deal....

going from xp to this is ridiculous.... they actually upped windows media player and running hi def vids, playing music and stuff is really smooth.

im running an AMD Phenom II x3 overclocked to 3.6... with 4 gigs DDR2..... and yeah.... its going great so far.  Direct x 11 will be amazing once they make vid cards compatible for it but right now.... playing the minimal games i do i get way more of a constant frame rate at high resolutions than i did with xp.

tell me your specs and i was kinda kicking myself over not installing 64 bit... although ill have to do the overhaul once i buy the real deal in the fall.

right now I'm posting from a 64 bit ubuntu distribution 9.04 and this is the smoothest ive experienced but hey.... windows finally stepped it up.

guyforget, do you know anything about samba file sharing ?
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

guyforget

yeah, i use samba every day.  simple stuff to set up.  what linux distro?  im sure you could find a guide online, theres so much linux info out there these days.  i can help, though. 
-AD_

Declan

yeah, i have it all set up i was just trying to make a folder share for only users.... and right now it says that it is... but when i try to log in on mac osx it doesnt login with the name im using...

i have another share that allows guest access and i can get into that fine...

so either somethings messed up with the share... or maybe the users?

both users i try to log in with on osx it says the alias "inflownet" (name of my serv) could not be opened because original item could not be found

im on Ubuntu 9.04

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.