News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/31 - Red Rocks - Morrison, CO - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, August 01, 2009, 01:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roggae

so far i have listened to the first set through TTE and second set through tweezer.  i think it's a solid offering.  i would have been a happy camper with this one.  looking forward to chicago and hanging with the 'paug at mandi's.  who's got my mollie???

LOL :phish: 
Clearly it's all awful.

mbw

Quote from: mistuhfry on August 01, 2009, 03:59:53 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 01, 2009, 01:57:14 PM
Quote from: mistuhfry on August 01, 2009, 11:54:09 AM
Is it just me or are there hints at DEG during the "Arrival" of Fluffhead right before the segue into Piper???

and btw, Happy Jerry Day!

do you just copy a cdirksen tweet?

actually i was unaware of what cdirksen said, did he agree?  thank you for hating on me & my apologies for posting... i thought "paugers" were decent

damn, he took that pretty hard   :roll:

wheres tonights live setlist thread  :?

okelnard

Quote from: mistuhfry on August 01, 2009, 11:54:09 AM
Is it just me or are there hints at DEG during the "Arrival" of Fluffhead right before the segue into Piper???

and btw, Happy Jerry Day!

YES!!!! I was listening earlier today and thought I caught some DEG.... nice, I'm not losing it (or at least not by myself).... thanks for hearing this too!!!

Fluff was only missing the very tail end, not complete certainly, but not as unfinished as might be thought.

"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?" - Taggart

"We liked number 217."  - Trey

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit."  - Robert Anton Wilson

CatchYourBreath

I'll take my chances on being made fun of, but how the heck can I open flac files? Is there a download somewhere to fix Windows' attitude problem?

I'm still new to this whole thing and its making me  :frustrated:

okelnard

Quote from: CatchYourBreath on August 01, 2009, 07:54:11 PM
I'll take my chances on being made fun of, but how the heck can I open flac files? Is there a download somewhere to fix Windows' attitude problem?

no no no... no worries... I use the flac frontend and I have to open as administrator (right click the icon) to get it to work on my Vista powered PC... That or Trader's Little Helper works w/o much attitude... I know there is a help thread somewhere that should have more details... good luck!

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit."  - Robert Anton Wilson

Superfreakie

I am writing you a message and will send it to you with the details all laid out, that way we won't hijack this thread.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

CatchYourBreath

khalpin

Quote from: ytowndan on August 01, 2009, 05:33:18 PM
Jim - Nothing special, but it's always a nice opener.

Chalk - A nice rocker to get the energy going, and that's exactly what it did.  Well played.

Gin - Really nice.  It really feels like they're starting to get comfortable with "getting out there" again.  Even though it didn't really leave the general theme they had some nice full-band jamming going on.  Everyone seemed to be listening to each other, and playing off of each other pretty well.  Nothing ground breaking, yet it was a solid version.

TTE - It sure did.

Lawn Boy - Page crooned.

Water In The Sky - There was.  Fast version.  

Stealing Time - Ocelot is getting up there, but I still think this is my favorite of the new tunes.  It's close though.  Pretty well played.  I'd be happy to get this one in a first set.  

Melt - Very chaotic and kind of cool at times, but it never really built up to anything, IMO.  But, in their defense it was getting wet on the stage, and they had crew members up there tearing down some of the gear, so that could have distracted them.

Drowned - They're quite predictable in a storm, huh? :wink:  The jam starts out with tons of energy, and gets the mood going.  As soon as it slows down a bit they flawlessly segue into ->

C&P - That was an awesome segue!  The jam starts off with some pretty thick funk.  I like what they're doing right around 1:15 in the "Morrison Jam".  They kinda slow it down so they can find their groove.  They take a new direction about 4 min in, and they pick up the pace.  Trey starts tearing it up a couple min later.  Some nice organ work by Page as it slowly melts into...

Joy - Sorry, but I don't care for this tune (even though it's my song too!)  Bad placement.  It reminds me of when they followed Mike's with Albuquerque on 6/28/00.  

Tweezer - Boo ya!  Spacey start to the jam.  Nice effects going on.  I really like what they did in between 6:50 and 7:15.  They were really playing off of each other.  It gets pretty crazy about a min and a half later.  It's nice the way they keep jumping back to the same theme.  It demonstrates focused playing.  They change the direction in the end, and then they slam into...

BDTNL - I like this in the second set.  It gives them kind of a "breather".  Not that it's super short or boring, but it's straight forward, and it doesn't require tons of thinking.  It gives them a chance to clear their heads and just play.  This one got kind of interesting for a min (about half way through the jam).  

Fluff - Awesome! You can tell they're really liking this one.  Fourth time since they've been back, but who would complain about that?  A couple rough spots, but no major flubs or anything like that.  I do kinda hear something that reminds me of DEG right before the segue into Piper.  I might not have noticed it if it wasn't mentioned earlier.  

Piper - Pretty rockin.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  Nice little "Page segue" into...

ADITL - Great way to cap off a great set!  

Suzy/Tweprise - A perfect encore.  

All in all I thought the first set was kinda weak, but the second set had some epic moments in it.  My highlights were: Drowned -> C&P & Tweezer.  

Thanks for the showclub-style reviews, Dan.  I've enjoyed both of them quite a bit.  And I totally agree with you about the Gin.  I was surprised more people haven't mentioned it.  I really enjoyed that bit.  Not top 10 or anything but real, real nice.  And like everyone else has said, the Drowned > C&P segue is probably the best 3.0 segue yet.  And the C&P (or Morrison jam) took me somewhere I haven't been yet in 2009.  Maybe it's the Saturday night buzz, but after hearing the last 2 nights, I think they've improved very noticeably since a month and a half ago.  Getting quite excited for what's in store.

okelnard

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 01, 2009, 07:59:02 PM

I'm still new to this whole thing and its making me  :frustrated:

I am writing you a message and will send it to you with the details all laid out, that way we won't hijack this thread.

you da man superfreakie!  +k for your more detailed follow up and +k to Catch for her patience!

Oh, and nice review ytown... I do hear the DEG / King Crimsonish jam as Fluff heads into Piper for about 2 measures.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: roggae on August 01, 2009, 07:26:01 PM
so far i have listened to the first set through TTE and second set through tweezer.  i think it's a solid offering.  i would have been a happy camper with this one.  looking forward to chicago and hanging with the 'paug at mandi's.  who's got my mollie???

LOL :phish:  

hoorah!!!

you're coming to my house?!?!?!?!
let me know when you get in town, i'll get you here :D

p.s. i'm pooped.
i haven't even gotten to listen to this show yet... the great urban race kicked my ass today.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

ytowndan

Quote from: khalpin on August 01, 2009, 08:09:56 PM
Thanks for the showclub-style reviews, Dan.  I've enjoyed both of them quite a bit.  And I totally agree with you about the Gin.  I was surprised more people haven't mentioned it.  I really enjoyed that bit.  Not top 10 or anything but real, real nice.  And like everyone else has said, the Drowned > C&P segue is probably the best 3.0 segue yet.  And the C&P (or Morrison jam) took me somewhere I haven't been yet in 2009.  Maybe it's the Saturday night buzz, but after hearing the last 2 nights, I think they've improved very noticeably since a month and a half ago.  Getting quite excited for what's in store.

Heh, I've been wondering the same thing as well.  If it's just that I've been in a great mood, or if the shows really are that much better.  I honestly think that they have improved over the last month or so, but I think the biggest thing (in my case) is that for once, I've been able to listen to these shows without uber-high expectations.  I tried really hard not to set my hopes too high with the first leg, but when it came down to it, I just couldn't help it.  But, when I've been listening to these last two shows, I've approached it with a "it is what it is" kind of attitude, and they've been much more enjoyable. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

VDB

Quote from: khalpin on August 01, 2009, 08:09:56 PM

I think you're both right -- I've only listened to it once, but I'll tentatively say this Gin is my favorite of 3.0 so far -- though unfortunately that's only saying so much because I'm a huge Gin fan and this year's Gins have disappointed me. But this particular one is pretty nice and certainly strays further from the mold than what we've heard so far.
Is this still Wombat?

Gumbo72203

holy Chalkdust.  wow.  they spun that one up realllll tight and let it blast off unwinding in a frenzy.

and yay for Stealing Time!!!!!!!!
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Superfreakie

I still can't stomach TTE, no matter how hard I try. What is the over/under on when Trey wakes the fuck up. If he would only remove certain obvious sections (melody ooooh shelter in the darkness) and change a few lyrics here and there, I might be able to digest it for there are a couple parts that have grown on me. I am however overjoyed to see that it has been relegated to first set status. Take that TTE. Now lets see it get wiped off the map a la save the date. C'mon now, save this for your philharmonic forays.

NICE Crosseyed, Mike lays down a wonderful roaming groove.
NICE Torture
Mike was all over the Bathtub NICE
Tweezer is  :-o

Mike ruled this show from start to finish and the aforementioned songs he took out back to the woodshed for a serious can of whoopass.

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mistercharlie

This tweezer fuckin' rules face. It's got a bit of 'Reba-chill' to it, then it fritters into BDTNL. :beerbang:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.