News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/31 - Red Rocks - Morrison, CO - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, August 01, 2009, 01:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

phg

blatboom

fauxpaxfauxreal

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: blatboom on August 03, 2009, 09:52:42 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on August 03, 2009, 09:48:52 PM
Quote from: blatboom on August 03, 2009, 09:47:17 PM
Quote from: phg on August 03, 2009, 09:46:37 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on August 03, 2009, 09:34:24 PM
I give this show a C.

:|

hmm, you must not have been there for that second set

ignore his grades.

I give this post a C.

see?

I'm glad you stopped using the phrase "lame", blatboom.  That was really "lame" of you to do, when you called that thing "lame".

blatboom

fauxpaxfauxreal

cactusfan

experience-wise, this was my favorite show of the run.

being 4th row center probably helped.
the rain helped too, making the experience of a great set feel that much more earned.

i didn't find the first set 'meh' as some have. it worked for me. despite having to wait through TTE, which wow, that's a long song...
the rain started a little before stealing time, and began to get real during that song. the wind was blowing the boys' hair all over the place, and the cones of light illuminated the angled rain in very cool ways.

the awesome jam in SOAM was all about the rain. you could basically see trey 'playing' the rain, using its growing intensity to inform the jam. at this point people were coming out and putting tarps over amps etc.
rain was all over page's piano. the wind was crazy and the rain in the lights made it appear to raining much harder on stage than it was on us. but the rain was getting intense. i think the quick end to SOAM was required at that point. i was actually surprised they didn't cut it even shorter.

i found some cover during the setbreak. after about a half hour the wind quit and the rain began to taper off. i was worried we wouldn't be getting a second set.

second set was fucking awesome to witness. the band was so pumped at that point. everybody called drowned, but no one predicted that sweet segue into crosseyed. after joy i wondered which direction they were going to take this set. i was happy with their choice.

tweezer was awesome. i still haven't listened to anything since the shows, but it seemed like they were finally taking jams into new territory. they haven't fully arrived at where we all want them to be, but some mighty big steps were taken this run.

as the tweezer jam gets underway (as i recall), trey does his funky riffing for awhile and then breaks into these beautiful strumming chords, at which point page looks over all happy, loving it, and then trey falls back into his riffing, but the rest of the band isn't with him at all (not sure how this sounds on 'tape'), then he goes back to the chords, and then when he drops into the trippy riffing part, everyone's right there with him, and back and forth they go. i loved it!

BDTNL kind of killed my vibe for a bit. too damn happy hippyish for me, but the jam was nice enough.

i loved fluffhead. i though trey was going to just jam the shit out of the ending, did not expect the segue (rough) into piper. piper felt epic. i could have sworn it was twice as long! so it goes when you're there... great fun to watch trey wander around the stage talking to everyone as piper came to a close, and wondering what they're coming up with next. dropping everyone but page and going into day in the life was beautiful.

trey was literally jumping up and down during reprise. he was just so goddamned happy. it was great.

i've got some nice photos from this night i'll put up soon...

whatapiper

this crosseyed really builds to an amazing finish, holy shit, this run has me giddy like a school boy.   

the segue from drowned to crosseyed is great but i think it has more pop as an opener, easily better than alpine, sounds like a different band.   the tweezer starts off a little strange but then business as usual...
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

VA $l!m

i cant see how anybody could hate on TTE. it gives you more than enough time to hit the head and concessions and still get back to your seat b4 the next song starts.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: VA slim on August 04, 2009, 06:05:28 PM
i cant see how anybody could hate on TTE. it gives you more than enough time to hit the head and concessions and still get back to your seat b4 the next song starts.

Haha.

What about when it closes a set tho?

VA $l!m

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on August 05, 2009, 03:49:48 PM
Quote from: VA slim on August 04, 2009, 06:05:28 PM

Haha.

What about when it closes a set tho?

even better. just like alaska on night three, any good late set piss break song allows the pros- ie me-- to get a good jump on the slackers that flood the restroom at setbreak.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Blaise

Only listened to 8/1 before this but that tweezer is real hot. About to listen to the piper now.

Interesting that this was a rain show bc I felt like creek benefited from the rain, musically, even though leaving sucked bc creek lot is the shit at night.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Blaise on August 05, 2009, 05:47:17 PM
Interesting that this was a rain show bc I felt like creek benefited from the rain, musically, even though leaving sucked bc creek lot is the shit at night.
QFMFT

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.