News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Healthcare Content (Protest Instructions) >>>>>

Started by sophist, August 06, 2009, 09:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

why the f*ck do they keep having these town hall meetings and giving these as*holes a venue to scream and yell and make the news.  the majority of the country wants reform and we just voted overwhelmingly as a country for 'change.'  the public doesnt need the convincing.

gah

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 02, 2009, 07:43:09 PM
why the f*ck do they keep having these town hall meetings and giving these as*holes a venue to scream and yell and make the news.  the majority of the country wants reform and we just voted overwhelmingly as a country for 'change.'  the public doesnt need the convincing.

Exactly.

Quote from: slslbs on September 01, 2009, 11:17:13 PM
the only way something worthwhile can happen is if Obama goes to the Hill and kicks some ass. don't think that will happen, and even if it does...
:|
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

guyforget

more of the classiest people in the country heckling disabled people

edited because i found it on youtube instead of that other site, which was pretty comical in itself...
-AD_

okelnard

Fried Butter.  Now available w/ a side of angioplasty at the Texas State Fair.   :shakehead: This could go in the other thread too...

"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?" - Taggart

"We liked number 217."  - Trey

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit."  - Robert Anton Wilson

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sls.stormyrider

insurance companies need to make big profits so they can afford to get their employees health insurance
that shits expensive
:-)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Alumni

Cause I got a degree

sls.stormyrider

if anyone is interested in reading relatively apolitical discussions on health care reform written by people in the field, I believe these are availble w/o a subscription.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/search?excludeflag=TWEEK_element&search_tab=collections&hits=20&fulltext=&COLLECTION_NUM=18

http://search.nejm.org/search?w=health+care+reform

a comment on the Baucus bill is here

http://healthcarereform.nejm.org/?p=1893&query=TOC
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sophist

Quote from: slslbs on September 24, 2009, 08:46:32 AM
if anyone is interested in reading relatively apolitical discussions on health care reform written by people in the field, I believe these are availble w/o a subscription.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/search?excludeflag=TWEEK_element&search_tab=collections&hits=20&fulltext=&COLLECTION_NUM=18
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

So Grassley who, earlier in the summer was in favor of the individual mandate is now against it.

ConservaDem Kent Conrad has just gone off a cliff.
QuoteLet me just conclude for my progressive friends who believe that the only answer to getting costs under control and having universal coverage is by a government-run program. I urge my colleagues to read the book by T.R. Reid, "The Healing of America."

I had the chance to read it this weekend. He looks at the health-care systems around the world. And what he found is in many countries they have universal coverage. They contain costs effectively. They have high-quality outcomes, in fact higher than ours. They're not government-run systems in Germany, in Japan, in Switzerland, in France, in Belgium -- all of them contain costs, have universal coverage, have very high quality care and yet are not government-run systems.

Ezra Klein @ the WashingtonPost comments on this :
QuoteGermany, Japan, Switzerland, France and Belgium have a level of government intrusion in their systems that would make the average tea partier retch. In France, for instance, the government provides all basic insurance coverage directly. In Germany, insurers aren't permitted to make a profit. In Japan, health insurance is publicly provided, and private insurance is available only to ease co-payments or cover services that the government leaves out. This stuff makes the shackled public plan look downright objectivist.

That said, I think France, Germany, and Japan offer excellent models, and their low costs, universal coverage, and impressive outcomes back up that contention. But they're not a rebuke to the progressives in this debate. They are confirmation of the argument that systems with more government-intervention offer lower costs and better outcomes. And either way, my sense is that Kent Conrad stands more firmly between this country and the French health-care system than does Barbara Boxer, but I'd certainly be glad to learn I was wrong on that.

jeez...

sls.stormyrider

seems to me like these guys are probably responding to what they hear from their constituents at home (they want to get re-elected), and their constituents are responding to the propoganda they have heard from the opposition.
I just find it amazing and frustrating what people will do to see someone they don't agree with go down.

Alumni

Is Rachel Maddow's show the most watchable thing on cable news? I think it might be.

(At least that's where I heard about Conrad's latest bout with blatant hypocrisy/ignorance...)
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 24, 2009, 11:05:49 AM
So Grassley who, earlier in the summer was in favor of the individual mandate is now against it.

ConservaDem Kent Conrad has just gone off a cliff.
QuoteLet me just conclude for my progressive friends who believe that the only answer to getting costs under control and having universal coverage is by a government-run program. I urge my colleagues to read the book by T.R. Reid, "The Healing of America."

I had the chance to read it this weekend. He looks at the health-care systems around the world. And what he found is in many countries they have universal coverage. They contain costs effectively. They have high-quality outcomes, in fact higher than ours. They're not government-run systems in Germany, in Japan, in Switzerland, in France, in Belgium -- all of them contain costs, have universal coverage, have very high quality care and yet are not government-run systems.

Ezra Klein @ the WashingtonPost comments on this :
QuoteGermany, Japan, Switzerland, France and Belgium have a level of government intrusion in their systems that would make the average tea partier retch. In France, for instance, the government provides all basic insurance coverage directly. In Germany, insurers aren't permitted to make a profit. In Japan, health insurance is publicly provided, and private insurance is available only to ease co-payments or cover services that the government leaves out. This stuff makes the shackled public plan look downright objectivist.

That said, I think France, Germany, and Japan offer excellent models, and their low costs, universal coverage, and impressive outcomes back up that contention. But they're not a rebuke to the progressives in this debate. They are confirmation of the argument that systems with more government-intervention offer lower costs and better outcomes. And either way, my sense is that Kent Conrad stands more firmly between this country and the French health-care system than does Barbara Boxer, but I'd certainly be glad to learn I was wrong on that.

jeez...
Cause I got a degree

sls.stormyrider

my guess is that nobody saw this, cause nobody watched the CBS evening news. anyway, they did a segment on the overuse of CT and MRI scans, how much it is costing the system, and the potential damage of excess radiation (from ct). I work with one of the guys interviewed (SB) - he told us that during the interview, he blamed fear of malpractice suits as part of the reason for overutilization of imaging and that malpractice reform is necessary. Guess how many times they mentioned the malpractice issue in the piece?

regardless, it's a decent spot.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5337981n&tag=related;photovideo

(if you guessed a number greater than zero, you would be wrong)

fauxpaxfauxreal

John Edwards probably doesn't like the sound of that!