News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Healthcare Content (Protest Instructions) >>>>>

Started by sophist, August 06, 2009, 09:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyforget

The most greedy people are often the most wealthy.

I dont see how ending poverty will end greed, they are mutually exclusive.  IMHO. 
-AD_

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: guyforget on October 07, 2009, 12:00:21 PM

I dont see how ending poverty will end greed, they are mutually exclusive.  IMHO.

I disagree with the first statement.  I think the said could be said about the impoverished as well.

I've met plenty from both sides of the coin in my day, and I think when all is said and done, people are people... they have the same emotions, trappings and shortcomings regardless of what your economic status is.  I've met some nasty greedy homeless people, and I've met people with obscene amounts of money who were absolute Saints.  I totally can relate to your perspective on that, however, because I have totally often felt the same way.  I believe differently, however.

guyforget

That might be one of the most naive things Ive ever read. 

I guess your faith in humanity might be noble...

But I think its incredibly naive. 

If you think that the most greedy people in this country are not also those with the most wealth and power, have you been paying attention for the past 2 years through this financial meltdown?  Have you been paying attention to the basis of this entire healthcare debate?

Hell, have you been paying attention to the history of nearly every society ever instilled upon this earth?

Im not talking about your rich neighbor, the guy who may donate a significant portion of his extra income to his church or whatever.  Im talking about the people who hold the keys to the economy of the country, and the world.  The people who keep the rich getting rich and the poor getting poor. 

Its not even worth the debate because what you said above is entirely nonsensical. 
-AD_

fauxpaxfauxreal

I disagree.  I've seen the homeless act entirely greedy and selfish when dealing with others.  Perhaps they don't have the mechanism or ability to fully activate that greed, but they do possess the greed itself.  Just because you are greedy, doesn't mean you actually possess much materially, it just means you are a greedy, selfish person. 

Also, Guy, the nobility can be just as Philanthropic as they are Greedy.  Just because someone is in control of resources, does not automatically make them corrupt.

It takes as much Faith in humanity to believe someone to be inherently bad as it does to believe them to be inherently good.  I think that assuming one extreme is as naive as assuming the other extreme.  I don't believe all impoverished people are greedy, just like I hope you don't believe all of those in control of large corporations are either.

guyforget

I never put all of my eggs in one basket. 

OFTEN

Youre missing my point.  I never said that impoverished people cant also be "greedy."

What I said was: Ending poverty will not end greed.  Plain and simple.  To argue otherwise is not only baseless, but its also naive. 

I really dont see how, or even why, anyone would dispute that, besides that maybe they just like to be contrary in certain discussions. 
-AD_

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: guyforget on October 07, 2009, 06:41:08 PM
I never put all of my eggs in one basket. 

OFTEN

Youre missing my point.  I never said that impoverished people cant also be "greedy."

What I said was: Ending poverty will not end greed.  Plain and simple.  To argue otherwise is not only baseless, but its also naive. 

I really dont see how, or even why, anyone would dispute that, besides that maybe they just like to be contrary in certain discussions.

I stand corrected, I thought you meant 'The majority of greedy people are the most wealthy"  I misread.  That statement is what I was disagreeing with.  The way I read what you wrote was that "Out of all of the people who are greedy in the world, most of them are wealthy". 

rowjimmy

Keith Olbermann last night dedicated his entire program to a special comment on Health Care.
It's pretty impressive.
Here is the audio podcast:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b1nluw

video, here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/vp/33217642#33217642

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Alumni

Infant denied coverage due to pre-existing condition.
http://www.nbc11news.com/localnews/headlines/63813127.html

Say wha?

edit:

I guess it's not technically a pre-existing condition. But what else do you call a baby that's growing too big too fast? Just stupid.
Cause I got a degree

rowjimmy

What is most shocking is how they insurance guy lies and says that the industry is leaning towards reform.

Hicks

Well they are leaning toward reform.

The type of "reform" where everyone is required to buy a piece of shit policy. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 12, 2009, 08:32:45 PM
What is most shocking is how they insurance guy lies and says that the industry is leaning towards reform.
shocking?
not really
other adjectives apply

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Yeah. I guess I'm not shocked by the spin...
Disgusted?
Yep.

Alumni

As a coda to that story I linked, apparently the CEO of Rocky Mtn Health made a press release stating that they were changing their underwriting rules to cover all healthy infants, regardless of statistical black magic re: size/weight/age charts.

It took a viral "Rocky Mtn Baby Killerz" internet campaign to get their attention, so I'm not sure they get full credit for it. But I suppose that even "CYA" change is better than callous indifference.
Cause I got a degree

Alumni

Latest development, per Politico:

Snowe (R-ME) announces support for some version or other of Baucus Bill. MEaning the Senate Finance Cmmte, finally, will belch out something health related and the whole sorry process will move on to the Senate floor.

In all seriousness, this is probably good news for everyone except progressives who want single-payer or nothing and their unlikely hard-right allies, who just want nothing.
Cause I got a degree