News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Healthcare Content (Protest Instructions) >>>>>

Started by sophist, August 06, 2009, 09:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

that is good news.'
I have a lot of respect for Olympia Snow - not just 'cause of this.

the Baucus bill is clearly flawed, but is a good starting point, imo

the big challenge is how to realistically reduce costs, or at least prevent them from rising as fast as they are.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

I'd prefer Single-payer but I feel a public option is a must.
These "exchanges" are bullshit and have not worked on the state level in the past.

Alumni

For folks with 11:00 to spare, and don't feel like listening to a 3.0 Possum, may I suggest John Stewart's utter evisceration  :samurai: of CNN. Of course, it's healthcare related:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-october-12-2009/cnn-leaves-it-there
Cause I got a degree

rowjimmy

sls.stormyrider

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 13, 2009, 02:18:36 PM
I'd prefer Single-payer but I feel a public option is a must.
These "exchanges" are bullshit and have not worked on the state level in the past.

QFT
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Alumni on October 13, 2009, 02:26:26 PM
For folks with 11:00 to spare, and don't feel like listening to a 3.0 Possum, may I suggest John Stewart's utter evisceration  :samurai: of CNN. Of course, it's healthcare related:

that was awesome

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: slslbs on October 13, 2009, 09:17:48 PM

that was awesome
Yes!! absolute quality stuff... and now in more important matters... Just how many woman did David Letterman sleep with?? fact check please...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

gah

Quote from: slslbs on October 13, 2009, 09:17:48 PM

that was awesome

Finally watched this. Good work as usual.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

fauxpaxfauxreal

I just wanted to let Sophist know that the other day there was a doctor talking about the supply of doctors and how it differs in rural and urban areas and how that effects the economics of the different health care systems in those areas...and I thought it was enlightening.

Apparently Supply only truly effects the health care economy when it is in short supply, however when supply outweighs demand...the doctors just order more tests and procedures to make up for it.  I found that take interesting.

sophist

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on October 15, 2009, 07:55:51 PM
I just wanted to let Sophist know that the other day there was a doctor talking about the supply of doctors and how it differs in rural and urban areas and how that effects the economics of the different health care systems in those areas...and I thought it was enlightening.

Apparently Supply only truly effects the health care economy when it is in short supply, however when supply outweighs demand...the doctors just order more tests and procedures to make up for it.  I found that take interesting.
Thanks.  That is interesting. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

Quote from: Sophist on October 16, 2009, 08:15:07 AM

This American Life'd

sls.stormyrider

Apparently Supply only truly effects the health care economy when it is in short supply, however when supply outweighs demand...the doctors just order more tests and procedures to make up for it. I found that take interesting.

that is probably true for some, but to paint all doctors with that brush is unfair and inappropriate.

I have no doubt that there is over-utilization done in the name of billing. Much of the over-utilization that I see is done by well meaning doctors who don't profit at all from the unnecessary tests that they order, for example a primary care doc ordering unnecessary CAT scans or stress tests. He / she doesn't profit at all from those tests.

regardless of motive, we need to decrease over-utilization. reducing reimbursement rates won't do it, and, in many circumstances, is penalizing the wrong party. we need to educate docs about when and what to order (efforts have been underway for several years - it's a long process). Part of insurance companies asking for prior approval is aimed at this. It's a pain in the ass, but the efforts are, in many cases, not inappropriate. And, we need to stop the abuses that faux mentioned.

Some approaches to fix it are innapropriate, imo. For instance, CMS (the gov't agency that runs Medicare) and the Baucus committee looked at the 2 most costly areas - oncology and cardiology. They decided that we need to reduce spending in those areas and chopped reimbursement. The 2 most common causes of death in the US are -
you guessed it- cancer and heart disease. There is a reason those are the 2 most costly areas of health care. Doesn't make much sense to me, or the WSJ editorial, to make blanket cuts there. What they're doing is kinda like what a HS student does to fudge chem lab - it knows the answer it wants and does something simple and mindless to get there.
(disclaimer - conflict of interest)

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 16, 2009, 08:43:17 AM
Quote from: Sophist on October 16, 2009, 08:15:07 AM

This American Life'd

Thanks RJ.  That is exactly where I heard it.  I knew it was on NPR, and I didn't properly cite it in my poorly worded post.

sls.stormyrider

I think this is the single best thing I've read about realistically fixing the health care system. Patients get good care, people get well paid, and the incentives are in the right place.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1930501,00.html