News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Furthur

Started by redrum, August 23, 2009, 05:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfreakie

Quote from: sophist on March 05, 2010, 02:43:33 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on March 05, 2010, 12:37:57 PM
I'm pretty sure there was some sarcasm in that Jerry statement....I remember reading that long ago.
I'd have to agree with this.  There are certain aspects of Jerry's playing that reflect the influence of Miles.  The way he holds a note like Miles holds a note. 

On a kind of a related note, there a few interviews with Duane Allman where he cites Miles as a huge influence on his playing.

Of all the jazz players, Ornette Coleman might of had one of the greatest impacts on Jerry's borrowing from jazz. Especially the 1960 album Free Jazz. Birdsong's jam in the later GD era borrowed heavily from Ornette's voice.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sls.stormyrider

I'm pretty sure there was some sarcasm in that Jerry statement....I remember reading that long ago.
yea, that had to be sarcastic

Quote from: Superfreakie on March 05, 2010, 02:56:45 PM
Quote from: sophist on March 05, 2010, 02:43:33 PM
I'd have to agree with this.  There are certain aspects of Jerry's playing that reflect the influence of Miles.  The way he holds a note like Miles holds a note. 

On a kind of a related note, there a few interviews with Duane Allman where he cites Miles as a huge influence on his playing.

Of all the jazz players, Ornette Coleman might of had one of the greatest impacts on Jerry's borrowing from jazz. Especially the 1960 album Free Jazz. Birdsong's jam in the later GD era borrowed heavily from Ornette's voice.
No doubt Ornette, Bird, Miles, and Trane influenced Jerry in a big way. You're right though, I bet the feeling of "timeless" music is probably from Ornette (at least partially)
the fact that Jerry actually played on one of Ornette's albums shows that the respect was mutual

Miles also gave Jerry props in his autobiography
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

guyforget

i dont remember reading it as sarcasm, i just thought he was implying that w/ the midi guitar, he could sound like a great fucking trumpet player.  not that he played an actual trumpet.  i thought i remembered the whole context being around the midi guitar. 
-AD_

Superfreakie

Quote from: guyforget on March 05, 2010, 05:21:07 PM
i dont remember reading it as sarcasm, i just thought he was implying that w/ the midi guitar, he could sound like a great fucking trumpet player.  not that he played an actual trumpet.  i thought i remembered the whole context being around the midi guitar.

The GD were innovators in MIDI's infancy and yes, that is what Jerry was talking seriously about. But I still believe that the statement had sarcasm in it. I sat through some of those MIDI experiments and trust me, it did not sound like great trumpet and I'm pretty sure Jerry wasn't deaf. In fact one of the principal reasons why I dislike the late 80's and 90's is because of those MIDI "experiments". But who knows, detecting sarcasm in print is difficult.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

guyforget

definitely the midi on stage w/ the grateful dead was painful at times

but i bet sitting around doing nothing, it could be pretty fun to try to make yourself sound like some of the great trumpet players, which i dont doubt that jerry could pull off every now and again...

thats not to say that the remark wasnt sarcasm, just saying im sure sometimes jerry surprised even himself
-AD_

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: guyforget on March 05, 2010, 05:31:48 PM
just saying im sure sometimes jerry surprised even himself

he probably did.

based on everything I've ever read about Jerry, every interview I've seen and read, he seemed like a pretty self effacing guy who didn't to take himself or his role in musical culture or history too seriously. I can hear him saying that comment and then laughing after saying it.

Miles, on the other hand...
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

Yeah I remember reading an interview with him where he said he always thought that he was "getting away with something" to have enjoyed the level of popularity that the GD enjoyed.  Of course he may have been just referring to Bobby's guitar playing.   

:opens a whole new can of worms::   :evil:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Hicks on March 05, 2010, 05:49:11 PM
Of course he may have been just referring to Bobby's slide guitar playing.   

fyp :-D

blatboom

yeah I think the whole point of the author (whoever it was--I'm almost positive it was an RS article) mentioning the trumpet player exchange was that Jerry was dead serious.  not that he was being arrogant, but just confident in his MIDI abilities.  I really don't think Miles Davis had anything to do with it...  fuck, now I'm gonna have to find the article

blatboom

okay so we were all sorta right  :-D

page 19 of the Rolling Stone Garcia book, in a chapter written by Mikal Gilmore.  the quote is attributed to John Barlow
"It made me sad to see that, because I wanted him to be able to appreciate, in some detached way, his own marvel," Barlow says .... "About the most he would say for himself was that he was a competent musician.  But he would say that.  I remember one time he started experimenting with MIDI; he was using all these MIDI-sampled trumpet sounds.  And he started playing that on his guitar, and he sounded like Miles Davis, only better.  I went up to him the first time I ever heard him do it, and I said, 'You could have been a great fucking trumpet player.'  And he looked at me and said, 'I am a great fucking trumpet player.' So he knew."

mattstick

Superfreakie

Quote from: blatboom on March 05, 2010, 09:33:34 PM

page 19 of the Rolling Stone Garcia book, in a chapter written by Mikal Gilmore.  the quote is attributed to John Barlow
"It made me sad to see that, because I wanted him to be able to appreciate, in some detached way, his own marvel," Barlow says .... "About the most he would say for himself was that he was a competent musician.  But he would say that.  I remember one time he started experimenting with MIDI; he was using all these MIDI-sampled trumpet sounds.  And he started playing that on his guitar, and he sounded like Miles Davis, only better.  I went up to him the first time I ever heard him do it, and I said, 'You could have been a great fucking trumpet player.'  And he looked at me and said, 'I am a great fucking trumpet player.' So he knew."

roflmao.....

JPhishman

:clap:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: JPhishman on March 06, 2010, 05:04:33 AM

:clap:

lol, leave it to Blatboom --- good work fella!
Bring in the dude!

sophist

Wait, so Mandi and her friends are out partying (drunk at the time of your post, I know this because I got drunk dialed by her) and you're reading old quotes about the fat man?  My man.   :beers:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!