News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Furthur

Started by redrum, August 23, 2009, 05:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Caravan2001

yeah, comparing the night in Portland to the previous show's setlist in Denver is a joke...the Portland setlist just looks so blah...I mean, the show before was chock full of 60's era nuggets (Midnight Hour, Alligator, Dark Star, We Bid You Goodnight) not to mentionBird Song and an After Midnight opener....Still, the Portland show was a lot better than in looks on paper...It was about as good as I expected...fake Jerry was OK, not mind blowing, but pretty good, he was doing his best...On rocking songs like Passenger, and on BTW, he broke out of the Jerry mold and blasted of some machine gun riffs ala Big Red...parts of Passenger had him sounding way more like Fake Trey than Fake Jerry, and the crowd responded too.....Despite the beat songlist, the crowd was pretty pumped...Duprees was good, Mama Tried was good, BTW was good, and honestly, not to sweat Hicks and Phishman, but to me, the highlight of the first set was the jam between Peaceful Valley and Passenger....Second set was more of the same....the Scar->FIre was good and Hell in A Bucket featured a reggae breakdown, which was at least original.....It was kinda cool to hear Phil lay down some reggae lines....Phil sounded GREAT the whole night, and the sound in the Coliseum was the best I have heard it.....other awesome things were:
-Joe Russo is 1,000,000 times better than John Molo.  Sorry, but this guy crushes Molo, who was always a weak link in PLF in my opinion....Russo and the other percussionist pwned....
-Jeff Chimenti is great and I like him better than Barraco, even though he should wear a headband as well.....
-Hicks scored some DOPE seats during the presale, we were in the sweetspot- thanks holmes!
-My favorite part of the show might have been when Hicks yelled out "Yeah, Fake Jerry" after a particularly tasty lick....I was laughing my ass off...

Basically, it's a good time to see these guys...It's GD music, so it's all good...Phil (and Bobby) are not going to be around forever, so it is great to see them and hear them while you can...I actually got sad during BTW because I was all high and had this bad feeling it was the last time I'd see them, but I got over it....The encores were OK...the end of Rider was good after fake jerry got his axe working again...

All in all a great show...more good times with JP and Hicks....def worth the price of admission....scratch some of the 80's tracks with a Viola Lee Blues or an Eleven and they would have blown the roof off, but whatevs, they can't all be bomb drops....

Caravan2001

and the backup singers were good too....

Superfreakie

Quote from: caravan2001 on March 11, 2010, 12:10:35 AM
I actually got sad during BTW because I was all high and had this bad feeling it was the last time I'd see them,

This thought has been in the back of my mind for years and has me really worried that I might not make it in time........god I hope my situation is resolved by this summer. You guys don't realize how fortunate you are.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Superfreakie on March 11, 2010, 12:16:58 AM
I actually got sad during BTW because I was all high and had this bad feeling it was the last time I'd see them,

This thought has been in the back of my mind for years and has me really worried that I might not make it in time........god I hope my situation is resolved by this summer. You guys don't realize how fortunate you are.

my friends drove down from Vancouver Island because they didn't know when they'd have the chance again....

JPhishman

more good times with JP and Hicks....
A fitting 1000th post for yours truly.

Cheers buds, it's been great rockin shows and Blazer games with you guys. No two ways about it. The paug rules!

:beers: :phish: :beers:

(1000 post glory thread to follow)
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

Caravan2001

Quote from: JPhishman on March 11, 2010, 01:15:26 AM
more good times with JP and Hicks....
A fitting 1000th post for yours truly.

Cheers buds, it's been great rockin shows and Blazer games with you guys. No two ways about it. The paug rules!

:beers: :phish: :beers:

(1000 post glory thread to follow)

Nice bro!!! Congrats on FINALLY making it to 1k, it's been a long road  :beers: k+.....we'll have to hook up FOTM again too, for $2 micros, that kicked ass....

burmesepython

Ran into Bill Walton at the Blazer game last night. He was at the Portland show right in front of a few buddies of mine... as he's signing some autographs I yell... "hey Bill, how about that China>Rider last night?"... he comes right back instantly with "oh yeah! and how about that Scarlet>Fire?!?"... he mentions the Knockin, Touch encore and then slaps me five... easily the highlight of the Blazer/Kings game for me.  :-D

I thought they ended the first set really well (BTW, Peaceful Valley > Passenger) and really dug the beginning and end of the second set. West LA was played slower than usual and the Days Between was poor setlist placement imo... but that segued beautifully into China (best segue of the night for me) and I ended up drenched in sweat.

Ran into a ton of friends throughout the night which always kicks the show up a notch... including some setbreak time with Caravan, Hicks and JPhish. All-in-all I had a blast and am so happy to see those two legends still up there rocking it.

gah

^^^^^
Nice review caravan!

^^^^^
Also, cool story burmespython! I would have yelled Throw it down big man! but, that's just me!  :-P
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Caravan2001

Quote from: messick (burmesepython) on March 11, 2010, 05:38:11 AM
Ran into Bill Walton at the Blazer game last night. He was at the Portland show right in front of a few buddies of mine... as he's signing some autographs I yell... "hey Bill, how about that China>Rider last night?"... he comes right back instantly with "oh yeah! and how about that Scarlet>Fire?!?"... he mentions the Knockin, Touch encore and then slaps me five... easily the highlight of the Blazer/Kings game for me.  :-D

I thought they ended the first set really well (BTW, Peaceful Valley > Passenger) and really dug the beginning and end of the second set. West LA was played slower than usual and the Days Between was poor setlist placement imo... but that segued beautifully into China (best segue of the night for me) and I ended up drenched in sweat.

Ran into a ton of friends throughout the night which always kicks the show up a notch... including some setbreak time with Caravan, Hicks and JPhish. All-in-all I had a blast and am so happy to see those two legends still up there rocking it.

Nice!!!  Good hanging with you during setbreak too.....I was kinda irie though, had trouble talking  :smoke:

Undermind

www.gdradio.net just started a marathon of the Winter tour
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

Fee

Furthur and Friends tonight celebrating Phil's 70th!!  Who will be the friends?

Happy early birthday Phil!

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

Caravan2001

tonight's show is streaming here:

furthur\/phil lesh

setbreak now though....