News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Furthur

Started by redrum, August 23, 2009, 05:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on February 12, 2010, 02:12:46 PM
What kind of cat can't be left alone for a few hours weeks?

FYP, for real.....cats don't give  shit if people are around or not...Leave 5 pounds of food and they're good for a long time....

Superfreakie

back to topic. 70 years young.

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Undermind

I'm thinking about hitting up the Manchester show.  Furthur is sounding a lot better to me on this tour so far.  Here's a review of the 2/6 show.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/21575/Furthur-02.05-and-02.06-Florida/2
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

Superfreakie

Quote from: Undermind on February 13, 2010, 07:58:10 PM
I'm thinking about hitting up the Manchester show.  Furthur is sounding a lot better to me on this tour so far.  Here's a review of the 2/6 show.

Stop thinking!!!! Phil is 70 years old and a rock and roll icon. He's not going to be around forever.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Undermind

Quote from: Superfreakie on February 13, 2010, 08:02:38 PM

Stop thinking!!!! Phil is 70 years old and a rock and roll icon. He's not going to be around forever.

good point
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Superfreakie

Quote from: Undermind on February 13, 2010, 08:03:34 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on February 13, 2010, 08:02:38 PM

good point

I will anxiously await your review.  :wink:

fauxpaxfauxreal

I went to Charlotte.  I thought the music was decent, but the crowd, lights and backdrop all sucked.  Also, fake jerry kinda sucks.

It pales in comparison to the first incarnation of The Other Ones...and is absolutely nothing like going to see The Grateful Dead.  The crowd was young and I'd say 90 percent of the attendants had never seen a "real" dead show.

I was underwhelmed.  However the Maggie's Farm, Come Together-->Caution and Cold Rain and Snow were amazing!

Superfreakie

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on February 13, 2010, 08:15:40 PM
I went to Charlotte.  I thought the music was decent, but the crowd, lights and backdrop all sucked.  Also, fake jerry kinda sucks.

It pales in comparison to the first incarnation of The Other Ones...and is absolutely nothing like going to see The Grateful Dead.  The crowd was young and I'd say 90 percent of the attendants had never seen a "real" dead show.

I was underwhelmed.  However the Maggie's Farm, Come Together-->Caution and Cold Rain and Snow were amazing!

I would of been pretty darn disappointed exiting that Charlotte show just by the set list. Would not of mattered how well they had played. 

Side note: if the music was decent, I'd be happy. I generally don't worry about lights, backdrop or crowd.

sophist

Furthur
2010-02-12
Hampton Coliseum
Hampton, VA

Set 1:
Shakedown Street
I Need A Miracle
Til The Morning Comes
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With Those Memphis Blues Again
Dire Wolf
Picasso Moon
Big Railroad Blues
Two Djinn

Set 2:
Scarlet Begonias
West LA FadeAway
Masons Children
Dark Star
Dear Mr Fantasy
King Solomons Marbles
Days Between
Viola Lee Blues
Going Down The Road Feeling Bad
Donor Rap
Encore: And We Bid You Good Night

What a week.  As you may remember I hit up Atlanta earlier in the week, but due to work I had to miss Asheville.  Honestly, after seeing the Asheville setlist and listening to it, I wasn't too bummed about missing it, and even questioned driving to Hampton.  After seeing the Charlotte setlist, I decided what the hell, they just played 2 mediocre to decent shows back to back, so something big is about to happen at Hampton.   

I leave out of Atlanta on Thursday afternoon and get into Raleigh about 11:30, my buddy and I have a quite night of watching tv, and just catching up.  We leave out of Raleigh around noon and get to the Days Inn around 3:30.  We stock up on beer and have a few drinks and hit shakedown.  Shakedown is pumping at 5pm.  Lots of doses, mollie, and chocolates.  This one dude offers up mescaline, and I quickly spin back around to begin business with this wook.  He has doses on tums, read that again: SKETCH.  I say, no go on that.  What about the mescaline?  He tells me 15 per hit.  I say I'm game.  Pay him 20, and he gives me 3 bucks back, and doesn't have two dollars in change.  Whatever.  As I am walking away I look down and see what looks like one hit of acid.  I know for a fact that mescaline comes in powder form or liquid form (the liquid form requires at least half a cup full to dose). 

I tell my buddies I have to go straighten this out.  I approach the wook again, I call him out and say this isn't mescaline.  He says it is, and tells me they drop a hit on the sheet.  I say a dose of mescaline won't fit on a hit of blotter, it's scientifically impossible.  He goes, "it's 5-meo-AMT mescaline..."

I cut him off, and say those are two different drugs completely.  "5-meo-AMT is a synthetic chemical with very potent psychedelic affects, while mescaline is a naturally occurring substance that is found in multiple substances.  Mescaline is soluble in water, but it takes a 1/2-full cup for a dose, thus it would only fit on a full sheet.  However, 5-meo-AMT is active at 3-7 milligrams.  Thus such a small amount could and would fit on a piece of paper.  So what you have sold me is 5-meo-AMT, which is cool.  I'm just making sure what I have here."

The wook asks me "what I should I call it?"  I respond "it's 5-meo-AMT and sell it as that."  He actually thanks me and gives me the bro five (the hand cup and the semi-hug).  I walk away,  intrigued by what I now had in my possession.  I knew tonight wasn't the night for this substance, I wanted L (already had it so I was just stocking up). 

We get back to our room after shopping on the lot (my buddy got a 5th of mollie).  We pound some brews and do some puffing.  I get a call from Hood and we decide to meet up after my crew circles shakedown one more time.  My buddy goes to get our stash for the show (4 hits of L, a variety of heads, and some DMT) only to discover he left it in Raleigh.  We decide that we can get L on the lot, and split the mollie. 

We circle around shakedown and low and behold I see the same wook.  I ask if he has any doses besides the tums, he says he has paper now, and will do 10 a hit.  I grab two hits from him, and he tells me "it's the fluff, the white on white.  The 5-meo-AMT is better, you should eat that."  I always hear this about fluff , and usually it's quality acid, but this ladies and gentleman was redemption.  This wook delivered.  Some of the best acid I have ever had. 

I meet up with Hood by the fountain, we chat for a bit and decide to meet up at set break.  My crew enters the show, and it's perfect timing.  Shakedown starts as we are walking to our seats.  Shakedown was tight and the jam out of it was solid. I really liked the segue out Shakedown into I need a Miracle.  Dire Wolf and Picasso Moon were set highlights for me. 

Hood found me at set break, and his crew set up shop in our area (we had a ton of room, the venue was just over 70% capacity.  We chatted some (or at least I tried, I was tripping pretty hard by set break). 

The second set for me was simply amazing.  One of my favorite live experiences of all time.  I couldn't of asked for a better second set from them.  I haven't looked at Fairfax yet, but for me, Hampton was the best show of the tour so far.  The Dark Star was money, and the KSM was really hot.  The Scarlet opener was money too, and that segue into west la was just dirty. 

The funniest part of the night came during Days Between when this red neck in jean overalls just yells "Fuck you Bobby" and leaves.  He tells my buddy "we're going home to burn shit and drink liquor."  Classic. 

The closing part of the set was really good to Viola -> GDTRFB was really sick, and the WBYGN was a perfect way to send us off. 

Overall I really enjoyed this show, and thought they played really well.  There was great energy from the crowd, and the crowd was really well behaved. 

After the show we hit shakedown again, and I can remember running into this jack ass that had a laser pointer and yelling "hey Kuroda, do that trippy shit." He acknowledged me the first time but then started ignoring me after that. 

Great fucking road trip, and a wonderful show.  I'd recommend on hearing this one. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Superfreakie on February 13, 2010, 08:59:35 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on February 13, 2010, 08:15:40 PM

I would of been pretty darn disappointed exiting that Charlotte show just by the set list. Would not of mattered how well they had played. 

Side note: if the music was decent, I'd be happy. I generally don't worry about lights, backdrop or crowd.

I normally feel the same way, however the all three factors were especially sucky.  The setlist was pretty shitty too, in my estimation, and the thing that sucked the worst was that I knew that Hampton was coming and they were going to bust out Dark Star at Hampton.

Oh well...

Undermind

Quote from: sophist on February 14, 2010, 09:29:54 AM
The second set for me was simply amazing.  One of my favorite live experiences of all time.  I couldn't of asked for a better second set from them.  I haven't looked at Fairfax yet, but for me, Hampton was the best show of the tour so far.  The Dark Star was money, and the KSM was really hot.  The Scarlet opener was money too, and that segue into west la was just dirty. 

Nice review man!   

Undermind finds Visa and starts looking for Manchester tickets!

thatfargone

Hmm.  Interesting to read over the impressions and Sophists reviews.  I will give you the Marbles they played in SF was a highlight of the 2 nights when I saw them.  It's just weird how it seems like 2 completely different bands to some of us.
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

Superfreakie

Quote from: thatfargone on February 14, 2010, 02:02:55 PM
Hmm.  Interesting to read over the impressions and Sophists reviews.  I will give you the Marbles they played in SF was a highlight of the 2 nights when I saw them.  It's just weird how it seems like 2 completely different bands to some of us.

Or it's the same band that plays better on some nights than others (like the majority of bands who improvise), as well as being in the process of gelling, which need I remind you takes time. That being said, the shows at the end of this tour will most likely pwn the shows of the beginning leg. And those played now are most probably an improvement over those played last fall.

But then again, it could just be personal impressions, although some of us here are well versed in music and the study of it, so one would assume we can be on agreement over whether something was played well or not. For example, I pretty much consider 3.0 Phish to suck complete donkey's balls. But hey, others are tripping on it and you know what, I keep trying.     

postjack

i can't believe they sell 5-meo-amt as a party drug.  i can't imagine that shit would be any fun at a show.  i had gobs of it one semester, cut with some kind of grain alcohol.  consisted of an awful body buzz with absolutely no desire to stand up or move.  lots of giggling and bizarre conversations though.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

thatfargone

LOL!  Good attitude to have.  I do hate to say it but for me it was all nostalgia with these guys.  They didn't play bad when I saw them, but to me they are bringing nothing new to this music.  It just feels there to me.  I feel the 1st run of the Other Ones was the best post-Dead band.  However...if this sticks around for a couple tours (knock on wood) I could be eating my words.  I do hear potential.  Bobby is a weak link, Fake Jerry is well...Fake Jerry and Chimenti should be leading rather than Phil IMO.
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.