News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Furthur

Started by redrum, August 23, 2009, 05:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Quote from: redrum on December 05, 2010, 11:07:28 AM
keep hating, it gets better by the day.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

McGrupp

As a neutral spectator, you guys are all hilarious  :wink:
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: McGrupp on December 05, 2010, 12:08:37 PM
As a neutral spectator, you guys are all hilarious  :wink:
We're all having a good time as well.  :beers:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

thatfargone

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on December 05, 2010, 10:57:11 AM
I guess we can agree to disagree as some would just rather these senior citizens retire and others would prefer to hear them continue to make music, nostalgic or not.

See thats the thing for me entirely.  I preferred Bobby and Jeff as RatDog.  They brought something new to the Dead material they covered and wrote material that I enjoyed. For my money, Rat Dog, P&F and DSO w/ Fake Jerry were all better uses of the Grateful Dead song catalog and current members of Furthur, it's as simple as that.

I guess I just wish Phil and Bobby made larger careers for themselves, much like Jerry did, outside of the Grateful Dead framework.
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

sophist

Quote from: thatfargone on December 05, 2010, 03:58:30 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on December 05, 2010, 10:57:11 AM
I guess we can agree to disagree as some would just rather these senior citizens retire and others would prefer to hear them continue to make music, nostalgic or not.

See thats the thing for me entirely.  I preferred Bobby and Jeff as RatDog.  They brought something new to the Dead material they covered and wrote material that I enjoyed. For my money, Rat Dog, P&F and DSO w/ Fake Jerry were all better uses of the Grateful Dead song catalog and current members of Furthur, it's as simple as that.

I guess I just wish Phil and Bobby made larger careers for themselves, much like Jerry did, outside of the Grateful Dead framework.
Ratdog fucking sucks.  So do most of the P+F line ups.  Rarely do you have someone that is worthy enough to sing Jerry songs, and sing them correctly.  You get that with JK.  You have a guy that has the modesty and the chops to pull it off.  Your hatred isn't about creativity, otherwise you'd already know that Furthur is playing songs like Terrapin Station in a way that the original dead never played it. That's far more progress than anything Ratdog, P+F, and the "dead" have ever done. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

thatfargone

But JK sang more and by nature was allowed more room in DSO. And none of the "dead" bands ever used exact arrangements. And cool they do the whole suite. Seriously cool. They do HAVE to do something to keep ya going back.  :wink:
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

mbw

every incarnation of the dead is a good incarnation.
we will regret the hate when these guys stop/aren't around anymore.

thatfargone - we get it.  you dont't like furthur or the GD.  move along.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 05, 2010, 05:32:08 PM
we will regret the hate when these guys stop/aren't around anymore.

For sure.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

McGrupp

Compromise?  :wink:

Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Buffalo Budd

mbw

the best phil and friends/ post jerry's death shows ever.
fact.

ph92

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 05, 2010, 08:19:28 PM
fact.
QFT
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

emay

phil

Fwiw, I'm gonna agree with thatfargone in that I enjoy listening to P+F way more than Furthur. Not trying to hate on Bobby but I get tired of him quickly. Phil and Friends has had some really interesting lineups (some significantly better than others) and seeing how those different artists interpret the GD catalog is a big part of what I like about that project as a whole. With Furthur, I feel like they are doing some really cool things, but they don't grab my attention quite as much.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 05, 2010, 08:19:28 PM
fact.

Easily. 
Bring in the dude!