News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Furthur

Started by redrum, August 23, 2009, 05:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfreakie

Quotehttp://www.heyreverb.com/2011/02/14/live-review-futhur-1stbank-center-sunday/#2

By Jason Blevins | February 14th, 2011 | View Comments

Furthur is no longer simply sounding like the Grateful Dead. Now two years into a lineup, the band is playing like the Grateful Dead, with cohesive, instinctual, bred-in-the-moment fluidity. The band's three-night stand at Broomfield's 1stBank Center unveiled a tighter-than-ever Furthur, able to subtly tweak 40-year-old tunes with fresh licks that rekindle old vibes lost long ago.

Led by the Grateful Dead's Phil Lesh and Bob Weir, today's Furthur is the best incarnation of a 15-year effort to keep the Dead boat afloat. Drummer Joe Russo, who very likely loses weight every night from his calorie-burning approach to rhythm, has opened doors for everyone in the band, especially bassist Lesh. (There's no way Lesh and Weir haven't realized that if Russo was around 40 years ago, they never would have needed two drummers. Lesh is unquestionably invigorated by Russo's passionate play and the pair seem to be perpetually competing for who can be louder.)

Lead guitarist John Kadlecik has grown into the late Jerry Garcia's role with poise and a confident style that mirrors the Fat Man. Kadlecik's bluesy tone melds well with Weir's sound, as Sunday's first-set syrupy-slow "Sugaree" and twangy "Tennessee Jed" illustrated with the lockstepped duo layering intricate riffs. And Jeff Chimenti on keys adds even more depth, especially when unleashed for a jam. Chimenti's groove on Sunday's "Eyes of the World" had the entire house leaping.

The two grizzled veterans Weir and Lesh have been working hard with their new colleagues and it showed all weekend with graceful, practiced harmonization and many smooth transitions – Lesh's captaining from "Estimated Prophet" into "Eyes of the World" Sunday night was top-notch.

Indeed, Sunday's show capped a strong run for Furthur, with a second-set string that ignited the three-quarter capacity 1stBank. Spinning off the new "Colors of the Rain," growled by the melody-deprived Lesh, the band fired up a stellar-as-ever "Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain>Estimated Prophet>Eyes of the World>The Wheel>Not Fade Away" that ignited the joint like a flamethrower. Those six songs – about an hour of relentless yet surgically precise jamming – can stand up to the Grateful Dead at their best. Add in Kadlecik's gentle touch on "Wharf Rat" and a Beatles-Stones encore that defies the Grateful Dead's long adherence to lifeless send-offs, and Sunday's show is certainly a contender.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sls.stormyrider

I remember in Phil's book he was writing about an especially large number of bass bombs. I need to dig that one up.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

justjezmund

im more pumped than ever for tower

just sayin//
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Superfreakie

Quote from: JustJezmund on February 15, 2011, 01:59:01 AM

just sayin//

I'm losing my shit over here.

just sayin//
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Superfreakie

Quote from: slslbs on February 14, 2011, 10:23:38 PM
I remember in Phil's book he was writing about an especially large number of bass bombs. I need to dig that one up.

what men do to impress a woman. we bring flowers, Phil drops heavies.

justjezmund

whos got my sunday tower?
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Superfreakie on February 15, 2011, 02:02:17 AM
Quote from: JustJezmund on February 15, 2011, 01:59:01 AM

just sayin//

I'm losing my shit over here.

just sayin//
:wtu: :wtu: :wtu:

just sayin//
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

Cool looking business in CO.
I wish I was seeing these guys.

sprobeck

Those are the first CO shows I've missed in a long time. Guess I have a good excuse since I'm no longer living there. I will be seeing 5 shows on Spring Tour however--including the last two at the Tower.
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

Superfreakie

Quote from: sprobeck on February 16, 2011, 12:23:28 AM
I will be seeing 5 shows on Spring Tour however--including the last two at the Tower.

I'm seeing 5 shows too. And will be at the Tower as well, but not on the nights you are. I'm also doing the Orpheum run.  :banana:

danje

As of now I'm in for Sat and Weds for the Tower, but will be trying for Fri or Sun once I figure out my work schedule.

zimbra

If these guys come within reasonable driving distance and you do not go you are ignorant IMO.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Superfreakie

Quote from: danje on February 16, 2011, 12:37:05 AM
As of now I'm in for Sat and Weds for the Tower, but will be trying for Fri or Sun once I figure out my work schedule.

Remember to get all our digits prior to the Paug taking up residency at the Tower. 

SAT
Danje
McGrupp
JJ
SF
Soph
WTU

mattstick

Quote from: zimbra on February 16, 2011, 12:39:04 AM
If these guys come within reasonable driving distance and you do not go you are ignorant IMO.

Ignorant?  Really?

sophist

Quote from: mattstick on February 16, 2011, 08:23:31 AM
Quote from: zimbra on February 16, 2011, 12:39:04 AM

Ignorant?  Really?
I'd say that's a vocab fail. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!