News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R8/W5 1994-6-30 Classic Ampitheater, Richmond VA

Started by pnchundi, September 27, 2009, 10:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnchundi

06-30-94 Classic Amphitheater, Richmond, VA

1: Down With Disease, Gumbo, Rift, Guelah Papyrus, Split Open and Melt, Glide, Scent of a Mule, Bouncing Around the Room, Frankenstein

2: Wilson, Maze, You Enjoy Myself-> Y-Rushalayim Schel Zahav-> You Enjoy Myself, Sparkle, Axilla [Part II], Harpua*, Run Like an Antelope, HYHU-> Love You-> HYHU, Chalk Dust Torture

E: Sleeping Monkey, Poor Heart

*Narration includes story about Jimmy going to a karaoke bar.  A large fellow named Sean is brought on stage, and does "Phish Karaoke" by singing two-and-a-half verses of "Honky Tonk Woman."

Big thanks to A for hooking a wook up (and you) with both lossy/lossless. I heard this on tape a long time ago, but it has been awhile.

Lossless:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=528480

Lossy:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ak4fkuzxkke
http://www.mediafire.com/?1cqhewmtfjo
http://www.mediafire.com/?8wssgwg0oei

Submitted Reviews:

Khalpin
August
PieGuy
RowJimmy
me
Sophist
Mirthbeatenworker
Blatboom
AntelopeFreeway
Poster Nutbag

rowjimmy

The "Large Fellow" was Sean Hoppe; then guitar player and singer of Richmond band "Headstone Circus". I believe that he still plays in a local Dead cover band, King Solomon's Marbles.

AntelopeFreeway

1: Down With Disease - Nice opener, gets us going with good energy.  Decent jam section, sounds like Trey is in a good mood.
Gumbo - Slows things down to a slow boil, but still cookin'.  Page takes us through a bit of a New Orleans stroll.

Rift - smokin' version

Guelah Papyrus - Man do I miss this tune. Nice groove, well played.

Split Open and Melt - This is one tight band.  Especially like the ending around 11:00, something I can only describe as a "strobe light in sound"

Glide - These guys just don't give you much room to breathe do they?  I like the vocal segue thingy into SOAM, shows the band's humor

Scent of a Mule - They get pretty playful about halfway through this one.  This period of shows is certainly not lacking in imagination.

Bouncing Around the Room - This show has a nice tension and release flow to it that allows for a nice energy level to be sustained throughout the set.

Frankenstein - Seems strange to hear as a first set closer.  But a nice way to close a great set.

First set gets an A.  Well-played throughout, with insane energy levels.  Not much jamming, but a lot of imagination shown through the set.

khalpin

First time hearing this one....  Going in blind on this.

DwD: Not wasting any time here as they kick things off with a jam vehicle, although it's a short little jam.  It's still got good energy.

Gumbo: Trey starts out in the wrong key.  Good job on the vocal harmonies for this one.  Page gets to show off a bit here.

Rift: And right back with the high energy.  Not the tightest version, but good stuff nonetheless.

Geulah: A nice loose feel to the song followed by the tightness of the Asse Festival portion.  Well done.

SOaM: This is a welcomed gem anywhere.  The jam section starts out pretty frantic.  Later it gets to a percussive-based jam that subtly generates tension over the next couple minutes.  Nice crazy little breakdown section there.  Followed by another very cool build up.  Will need to revisit this one.

Glide: Solid version, although pale in comparison to what they would attain later in mid-August of 2004.

SOaM: Phish style bluegrass.

Bouncing: Does it's thing.

Frankenstein: Picking back up the energy to close out the set.

Wilson: Pre-chant.  Pretty Long intro.  Standard set opener.

Maze: Works well here.  Nice injection of energy.  They rock it out.  Featuring some screaming, which always spices things up a bit.

YEM: Here we go!  Well placed Yerushalayim Shel Zahav.  Last week, it's Vibration of Life, this week it's this.  A little out of sync coming out of the nirvana segment, but otherwise a tight composed section.  More screaming and a "Sheeeeiiit" from Fishman.  ~10:00 it sounded like they were just about to totally rock out and Trey just stopped and they go into almost a B&D segment, but with Trey throwing in random riffs.  Page totally disappears (maybe he had to take a dump or something).  Thought Mike was going to bust into Foam for a second.  WOW!  BIG bombs from Mike.  Do I hear the circling megaphone?  I think this one is one that should be seen.  Wonder if there's a vid of it.  Onstage antics ensue.  And into the vocal jam.   I must admit, halfway through this YEM, I thought it was gonna be a stinker, but it got pretty damn cool.  Redrum!

Sparkle: More redrum!  The band is starting to loosen up and have some fun, it seems.

Axilla: Again, with a heavy rocker.  With screams from Mike(I see a theme here).

Harpua: Nice!  Haven't heard one of these in a while.  Kung ensues.  Karaoke!  WTF?  Glad they didn't pick me, I wouldn't have known what the hell song they were playing, nor would I have known the lyrics.  Then some nice playing by Page.  Always fun.

Antelope: Abound with Harpua teases to start off.  Nice tension building for the first couple minutes, then Trey kicks out some sweet sh!t around the 6:00 mark.  Then back to the dissonance and tension.  Nice rippin' version.

HYHU>Love You: With Harpua teases.  Fishman ensues.

Chalkdust: More straight-up rock 'n roll.  Is Trey teasing something at 3:20?  Closes out the set.

Sleeping Monkey: My mixed distaste for this one is no secret.  Fishman's singing actually sounds really good.  Never thought I'd say that.

Poor Heart: F'real?  1 of 5 times this has closed a show.  That's 5 more times than I would've guessed.

This show grew on me through the second set.  It kind of had the makings of a show without a real highlight, but that second set, you could tell they were just having fun.  It really started to grow on me.  I think if I gave it another listen, which I will probably do now, I'd like it even more.  It certainly had solid playing, but there wasn't any one moment that really Wow'd me.  I'll give it a B for now.

pnchundi

dwd- intense version and trey lets you know he is in charge early on
gumbo- nice funky transition
rift- back into the intense high energy.  page and trey sound great
guelah- i too miss this song. 
Split- this is what i call the "split open" defense.  no officer, i had no idea how fast i was going, see, this song came on and i lost track of things...  Opening is fast and then things get furious.  Trey just winds things up before letting loose.  Neat slow down before the final
glide- i am digging this rock/funk pairing here in the first set.  I am glad glad glad
Scent- several Mules in a row.  This is a solid version with a good duel
Bouncing- not funk but still blissful phishy goodness
Funkenstein- more in your face rawk

wilson- high energy. very chaotic
maze- wow.  this is a great maze.  page sounds good early on but then trey lets go and its time to grab the oh-shit bar
yem>Yerushalayim>yem- yem starts up nicely and is welcomed with yerushalayim.  mike sounds as pure as the driven snow...  The rest of yem is delicious.  Right combo of taking chances with solid playing. The tramp section is fun. Mike sounds amazing, lots of teases. REDRUM REDRUM REDRUM
sparkle- this is how sparkles are supposed to be. 
axilla- not normally a fan but this works for me
harpua>kung>harpua>honky tonk>harpua- Fucking awesome! Been awhile since I have heard any harpuas and this is welcome. Appreciate the slight narration on Kung, and the karaoke segment is just the boys having fun. 
antelope- raging lope with everyone still kicking in high gear
hyhu>love you- silly fishman. he really hates that song you know
chalkdust- straight ahead rock but at this point who cares...

sleeping monkey- fish already had his joke song but they are still having fun
poor heart- weak close but ok version

I havent heard this in years so its a good one to go back and revisit.  my sister was there for this and i know why she likes this one.  First set is great, lots of energy and very danceable. Split Open is a keeper.  Bouncing is the only slow down but its the definition of phish so i cant complain.  Second set rips; the maze rages and the yem combo is great.  Harpuas are a sign that the band is having fun and this version is pretty cool.  I dont know how they managed that much energy for the antelope cause its blisteringly hot.  They do fall apart after this though...
B+

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 27, 2009, 06:33:17 PM
The "Large Fellow" was Sean Hoppe; then guitar player and singer of Richmond band "Headstone Circus". I believe that he still plays in a local Dead cover band, King Solomon's Marbles.

Nice!  I didn't know that.  I've def. seen him play with King Solomon's Marbles. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

fauxpaxfauxreal

I actually had the fortune (or misfortune, depending on how you look at it) of seeing "The Headstone Circus" or "THC" at the Cary street cafe in Richmond, Va.  I remember absolutely nothing about it.

G. Augusto

I'm biased since this has been my favorite from June '94 for quite some time...

Disease - Only 2nd time used as a show opener and not again until 06-14-1997. Holy FAST, Batman! Like...REALLY FAST! Trey and Mike link up briefly in the jam and then Trey goes OFF! I like the older version with the vocal reprise. Killer way to bang stuff out.

Gumbo - Intro was screwy...Still fresh off the 06-16-1994 revival. Actually, a really great outro jam! Short with the Page fade out.

Rift - From the album Rift.

Guelah - Well played.

Split - They waste zero time getting meaty on this one. DISGUSTING! There is some fantastic accentuation going on during this one and some vocal mimicry by Trey toward the end. AWESOME + NOISY outro section. Truly an A+ Split.

Glide - I remember this song!

Scent -
Quote from: G. Augusto on September 26, 2009, 05:42:12 PM
Enough Scent in the Show Club!

Bouncing - From the album A Live One.

Frank - Fresh off the 06-11-1994 kickdown. Bring back the pitch bends, Page. They killed this one.

Wilson - Pre-chant. Long intro and middle section as to coerce the few trying to start the chant.

Maze - Trey and Page both smash their solos. Works well in this slot.

YEM - OK composed sections. Yerushalayim in the Nirvana section. Really great post-tramps section with Page on the Grand. Odd DnB with megaphone feedback and Fishman yelling "Redrum (or Messengerbird)" during the vocal jam.

Sparkle - Fish is possessed. He won't stop.

Axilla - From the album Live Phish Volume 16

Harpua - OK composed sections. A really quick Kung kicks off the narration. More eviler....A classic version here with Jimmy, karaoke, Honky Tonk and Bag. Pua. How often do they play the end of the song correctly? Not much.

Antelope - 1-2! Harpua teases throughout the intro. Love the sudden, frantic turn ~6:50 in. This one just grans you and freaks you out the entire time. Relentless! Another A+ version.

Love You - Some more Harpua teases by Mike during the HYHU. Extended HYHU 'cause Fish loves it so much.

Chalk - Work well here with proper shreddage.

Monkey - Of the train variety.

Heart - Odd closer, but Trey smashes his solo only to be upstaged by Page's! Killer stuff.

Like I said, this is my June '94 jam.
Great pick, Alex.
I give it an A+.
a

rowjimmy

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on September 30, 2009, 04:38:36 PM

I actually had the fortune (or misfortune, depending on how you look at it) of seeing "The Headstone Circus" or "THC" at the Cary street cafe in Richmond, Va.  I remember absolutely nothing about it.

I saw them a bunch of times in that there decade.
Never in Richmond, actually.

redrum

Quote from: G. Augusto on September 30, 2009, 04:43:43 PM
Odd DnB with megaphone feedback and Fishman yelling "Redrum (or Messengerbird)" during the vocal jam.

:::pokes head in thread & waves hello:::
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

sophist

Phish
1994/06/30

Set I

DWD- I always liked this as an opener.  This version delivers.  Nice solo by Trey.  It starts to take off but ends too soon in my opinion.  I know it is '94 and the longer diseases weren't prevalent yet, but I like for them to soar a little longer.  This solo does a few insane runs by Trey where he straight shreds this shit. 

Gumbo- Ain't no time..........nice placement here.   I like how the disease slams into the Gumbo groove.  Good page solo.  Good Trey solo.  Kind of odd, feels like they cut it short, they just straight teased 3.0 in 94.  ;) 

Rift- tight.  Great version. 

GP- tight.  Good placement. 

Melt- tight version, and they straight rip the jam.  Face = melted.  Highlight of Set I for me. 

Glide- solid. 

Scent of a Mule- standard. 

Bouncin'- standard and always a treat. 

Frankenstein- good choice for set closer.  Tight version. 

Overall this first set is pretty tight and flows well in my opinion.  The Melt is off the fucking charts.  Like straight crazy and intense good.   Top 5 SOAM?  I'd argue so. I give this first set a solid B.  Great diversity, great playing. 

/set break
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

1994?
I <3 1994!
Here Goes!

1994-06-30 Classic Amp. Richmond, VA

Totally should have been at this shit but I wasn't meant to see Phish for a few more months. Oh well.

Set 1:

DWD - Roaring out of the gate- fast and nasty. Little jam there with Trey just hosing down the front rows Everybody is rockin' it though Page is riding the organ in a more support role for a bit then, As Trey is going ballistic with his runs, Page begins following him up and down on the organ which makes for a nutty effect until BANG back to the riff. Album style vox on the ending.

Gumbo - Stash it! What? No time? Right. That's because we don't fuck around with the classic Gumbo. Short Trey solo before Page owns the breakdown on the piano. Really nice.

Rift - Screams.

Guelah - Sweet Asse Festival! This shit is tracked oddly. Whatev. Nice version.

Split - Lets just talk about this jam... Trey keeps it tight as Page gets down on his piano. but tight doesn't mean "normal" tension builds and things get squirrely quick. FIYAH! woah... dialed back but Trey is AMPED. Odd vocalization over his power chord chooglin' which he keeps doing right up to the outro. outro = nail'd

Glide - Phish relaxes and plays an easy number... Oh wait.

Scent - I've run out of nice things to say about this song.

Bouncin' - Yep

Frankenstein - balls to the wall rock & roll.

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

Quote from: Sophist on October 01, 2009, 09:45:49 AM
Phish
1994/06/30

Set I

DWD- I always liked this as an opener.  This version delivers.  Nice solo by Trey.  It starts to take off but ends too soon in my opinion.  I know it is '94 and the longer diseases weren't prevalent yet, but I like for them to soar a little longer.  This solo does a few insane runs by Trey where he straight shreds this shit. 

Gumbo- Ain't no time..........nice placement here.   I like how the disease slams into the Gumbo groove.  Good page solo.  Good Trey solo.  Kind of odd, feels like they cut it short, they just straight teased 3.0 in 94.  ;) 

Rift- tight.  Great version. 

GP- tight.  Good placement. 

Melt- tight version, and they straight rip the jam.  Face = melted.  Highlight of Set I for me. 

Glide- solid. 

Scent of a Mule- standard. 

Bouncin'- standard and always a treat. 

Frankenstein- good choice for set closer.  Tight version. 

Overall this first set is pretty tight and flows well in my opinion.  The Melt is off the fucking charts.  Like straight crazy and intense good.   Top 5 SOAM?  I'd argue so. I give this first set a solid B.  Great diversity, great playing. 

/set break
Set II

Wilson- extended intro, I like the build up here.  Sick version.

Maze- segue into Maze, oh double dizzle for rizzle.  These bloaks aren't fucking around today.  First section after the chorus slams into a chaotic peak, and that's how I like, thank you sirs, I want another.  Wait, ......., building again, it's coming, you feel tension building, and building.  Ladies and Gentlemen Page McConnell is leading the way, build it, build and they will melt -> Trey enters, it's coming, wait for it....YES!!!!!!!!!!!
Trey straight shreds at the peak of this.  NICE.  Sick version. 

YEM -> YSZ -> YEM- YEM to follow that?  God damn.  Really tight composed section.  Page is on with his piano solo.  Jam picks up steam quickly, I like Trey's use of the Wah, and Gordon accenting some interesting beats and tones.  This jam almost churns like a piston at times.  LOL @ Redrum chants.  Classic.  Solid version of YEM. 

Sparkle-  piss break. 

Axilla (part II)- sweetness.  Tight version, and this tune is always a treat to me.  Great placement. 

Harpua- sick.  Hilarious version imo.  A+.

Antelope-  Rager.  Solid peak. 

HYHU – Love You – HYHU- hilarious.  Dug the vacuum solo. 

Chalkdust- closer?  Didn't see that coming.  Good version.  Nice solo by Trey. 

Encore:

Sleeping monkey- standard.  Meh. 

Poor Heart- standard. 

Second set is a straight smoker.  Good mix of psychedelic rock with humor.  The encore is a little weak to me, but beggers can't be choosers.  I give the second set and encore a solid A. 

Overall this show gets a grade of B+/A- in my book, great pick.   

AntelopeFreeway

1: Down With Disease - Nice opener, gets us going with good energy.  Decent jam section, sounds like Trey is in a good mood.
Gumbo - Slows things down to a slow boil, but still cookin'.  Page takes us through a bit of a New Orleans stroll.

Rift - smokin' version

Guelah Papyrus - Man do I miss this tune. Nice groove, well played.

Split Open and Melt - This is one tight band.  Especially like the ending around 11:00, something I can only describe as a "strobe light in sound"

Glide - These guys just don't give you much room to breathe do they?  I like the vocal segue thingy into SOAM, shows the band's humor

Scent of a Mule - They get pretty playful about halfway through this one.  This period of shows is certainly not lacking in imagination.

Bouncing Around the Room - This show has a nice tension and release flow to it that allows for a nice energy level to be sustained throughout the set.

Frankenstein - Seems strange to hear as a first set closer.  But a nice way to close a great set.

First set gets an A.  Well-played throughout, with insane energy levels.  Not much jamming, but a lot of imagination shown through the set.

2: Wilson - Always a good set two opener. Good energy, nice segue to Maze.

Maze - One of my favorite tunes, good placement early in the set.  Page takes a nice organ solo.  I dig this version. 

You Enjoy Myself ->Y-Rushalayim Schel Zahav->You Enjoy Myself - I'm really liking this set so far.  Nice harmonies in Yerushalayim.  Page is really having a great night, some nice piano work.
Mike does some nice poppin' and lockin' also.  Some nice type 1.5 jammin'.  Should we call this "The Shining meets the City of Gold" version?

Sparkle - Very mellow intro.

Axilla [Part II] - standard

Harpua - Nice Honky Tonk Women. 

Run Like an Antelope - Some ragin' goin' on here!

HYHU-> Love You-> HYHU

Chalk Dust Torture - Not bad as a show closer.  Good way to wrap things up.

E: Sleeping Monkey - The monkey is a friend of mine.

Poor Heart - Take it home boys!  Nice way to end the show.

Second set has some very nice stuff in it.  Didn't quite grab me the way set 1 did, so I give the show an A/B.  Nice pick, enjoyed the listen.