News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R9/W01: 11-28-2003 Nassau Colliseum, Uniondale, NY

Started by G. Augusto, January 11, 2010, 07:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

Very underrated night with plenty of energy not found in recent shows.

QuotePhish
2003-11-28
Nassau Colliseum - Uniondale, NY

Source: [DFC/OTS] Neumann u89i (caridioid/DIN)>Lunatec v3>Sonic AD2k+>RME Multiface>Vaio>WaveLab>wav @24bit/96kHz
Transfer: wav>WaveLab>UV22HR (Dither to 16bit/44.1kHz)>wav>CDWave>wav>FLAC
Taped & Transfered by: Phil Lucks

Set I 82:20
Disk 1:
1: Bouncing Around the Room
2: Runaway Jim
3: Ghost>
4: What's the Use
5: AC/DC Bag >
6: First Tube
7: Frankie Says

Disk 2:
1: Bathtub Gin >
2: Free

Set II 97:35
3: Waves >
4: Sample in a Jar >
5: Down With Disease
6: Walls of the Cave
7: Two Versions of Me

Disk 3:
1: Crowd Control (1)
2: Mike's Song >
3: I am Hydrogen >
4: Weekapaug Groove
5: crowd
6: Encore: Crimes of the Mind (2)

Comments:
1 First time played
2 with The Dude of Life; not played since 7/10/94

Lossless:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=531462

Lossy:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wytytmtv2ot
http://www.mediafire.com/?mmjmdmwimdm

a

Submitted Reviews:

01 - August
02 - JustJezmund
03 - Khalpin
04 - RJ
05 - Caravan
06 - Pnchundi
07 - Superfreakie
08 - MBW
09 - Susep
10 - EMay

khalpin

I was just kicking myself for not bringing any music into work today.  Solved that problem real quick.  Looking forward to checking this out.

birdman

Fiances first show? You should have her drop her heady review here, too.
Paug FTMFW!

G. Augusto

Quote from: birdman on January 11, 2010, 07:47:17 AM
Fiances first show? You should have her drop her heady review here, too.

Hers?
"Whoa! Lights! Whoooooa....He plays so many notes..."

rowjimmy

mattstick

I fell asleep in the second set to this show - during Two Versions of Steve & Crowd Control.

khalpin

Quote from: mattstick on January 11, 2010, 08:31:56 AM

I fell asleep in the second set to this show - during Two Versions of Steve & Crowd Control.
:tte:

blatboom

Crowd Control works so much better as an opener amirite??

G. Augusto

One of my faves of the year right here...

Bouncing - Woooooosh! There's the energy being sucked out of the place. Hadn't opened a show (for some reason) since 11-10-1995. Guess it's good to get it out of the way, but Bouncing is not an opener.

Jim - The other white opener. Fishman is killin' this all over the place (he's the MVP of this show) with some crazy fills that were not seen in 'o9. Trey is flexin' some muscle, too. The jam had a quick hint at the ending, but they bring it back for one more short peak.

Ghost - Lovin' it in the 3 slot. Plenty of riffage by Trey during the intro. I loved how Trey kept time during the big pause with a nice extended line and how they nailed the return. Jam starts of like a typical Ghost jam and starts to get meaty ~7:15 in. Mellows out ~9:45. Are these dynamics?! I forgot that the band knew how to utilize 'cause it's been so long. Ya heard? Spaces out nicely into >>>

WTU? First since Hampton and last one until Miami. Page is flexin' his space organ.  :-o Again, nice placement.

ACDC - Supra fast! This jam just don't quit and has Fish going off throughout. I really miss his choppage. Love the fakeout ending and the noisy outro into >>>

1st Tube - Sweet how Mike and Trey drop right into together. Great, high energy version and placed very well. Take out that Bouncing and this set is MEAT. Another odd ending with the trippy slow down...

Frankie - Not the biggest fan of the song, but it serves well as a breather.

Gin - Back at it. Great Page intro with him literally playing the grand with his nutsack (Visualize it as you listen to the intro). Jam starts off at a sluggish pace, but quickly picks up steam. Then this shit gets SER cookin'. It does have a similar shuffle feel to most other 'o3 Gins, but is DEF more rockin'. Some more freakout ensues and they find their way into >>>

Free - Nice segue. Wait? This isn't a 4 minute song? I like it as a closer (only used four times as a set closer.) Typical Free for the time, but played well and with great energy.

Waves - I'm a fan of the tune and as a 2nd set opener. Gives you some time to refocus and ease back into being at a show. Waves always gave me a GD vibe. I like this one.

Sample - From the album "Sample: Live at the Dunkin' Donuts Arena"

Disease - Right back in it. Some more sick Fish during the actual tune. Nice tempo on this one, too. Trey is straight shragin' up and down your face like Proactiv®. Some nice accentuation between the guys with an effortless feel to the jam. This jam reminds me a lot of the DWDs from 'o9.

Walls - Bring it back! The crowd still has a ton of energy in them (except Matt) clapping along until a slight timing issue throws them all off.  :lol: Pretty good composed section with a fantastic jam. Man, I really miss this one.

2 Versions - I'm actually a big fan of this one (1st SC appearance!) mostly because the lyrics are so honest. I'm not sure how much Tom had contributed to the lyrics with this, but you can see how much it relates to Trey at this time. Good breather.

Control - Debut. I can give or take this one. Reminds me of the Jennifer Dances debut in that everyone was pumped that they were gonna play a new one and then they launch into a clunker.

Mike's - His song. Niceness. I'm a little apprehensive of Set II Mike's closers, but this one is meaty and the band still has a bunch left in them. Not a groundbreaking version, but solid. They also do a pretty good with the old school ending into >>>

H2 - No big trainwrecks and Trey is a little playful with his lines.

Week - Does what it does and closes out the set nicely.

Crimes - I guess Portland is the new definitive version of this tune. The Dude isn't always my favorite guest... :lol:
"Here's to 20 more years of Phish!" and then they wrote 20 Years Later.

GREAT show for the time and a solid one overall, I give it a beefy A.
a

Caravan2001

Interesting....I was so unimpressed after this show that I have not heard it since attending.  I rated it above Philly, but below the Albany and Boston shows...looking forward to having my opinion changed....

rowjimmy

2003-11-28
Nassau

Set1

Bouncin' - Yep. It's Bouncin'.

Jim - OK version. Feels like the show really starts here.

Ghost - Or maybe it starts HERE. This one jams on-theme for a piece then sorta drifts apart after 8mins or so... Nice groove in the 10-10:30 range then into the spacey thing for a bit

> WTU - Sweet.

Bag - gets up to a decent fever pitch

> First Tube - more of that high energy stuff

Frankie Sez - Cool...

Gin - Nice ver. Nearly gets to rippin' but hold just shy of that and is merely rockin'.  Hints of Simple in the sort of out-there-yet-not-crazy-for-03 jam than leads

> Free - Sweet. Rockin' Free that comes out and kicks the audience's collective ass before leaving them to wander the hallways wondering if set two will ever come. Nothing really too nuts but strong strong rawk.

Set the second:

Waves - hrmm. I hate the look of this opener on paper but it's actually groovy. This song embodies all that is good about Phish 2.0.

> Sample - You've heard Sample, right?

DWD - Trey is all over this one. Seriously. If this were a 12 sided dice his axe would be on 13 sides of it. You heard me... 13. Meaty, upbeat jam.

Walls - I could take or leave this one but, as it's a dozen minutes long, I want it to rip. Really didn't like Trey's solo to build up to silent trees ~7:30. He recovered but really the song would probably only get me to move if I were in the room.

2Vers - pass

CrowdControl -

Mikes - Standard-good version.

Hydrogen - Not bad.

Week - rocks appropriately. Enjoyed this one.

Encore:
Crimes - meh

This show is ok. It's 2003, though so OK is slightly above par!
I dig the first set but the second has some sag in it's midsection.
I'm gonna give this show a B- and it's gonna have to go home to Momma and explain why it's not making the "All A's" list this semester.

Caravan2001

rowjimmy

Mr Minor

Two favorite lines so far:

Quote from: G. Augusto on January 11, 2010, 03:04:40 PM
Gin - Back at it. Great Page intro with him literally playing the grand with his nutsack (Visualize it as you listen to the intro). Jam starts off at a sluggish pace, but quickly picks up steam. Then this shit gets SER cookin'. It does have a similar shuffle feel to most other 'o3 Gins, but is DEF more rockin'. Some more freakout ensues and they find their way into >>>

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 12, 2010, 08:47:39 AM
DWD - Trey is all over this one. Seriously. If this were a 12 sided dice his axe would be on 13 sides of it. You heard me... 13. Meaty, upbeat jam.

:lol:

justjezmund

11-28-03
One of the only shows of 2.0 never checked out for some reason.  Let me see what I think. Ive been drinking and doing this while listening so it could be a little lengthy.

Set 1:
Bouncing opener was pretty standard except for the fact that it's the opener, not used to that.  Jim gets pretty ragin imo.  Some nice energy kick off I'll say.  Trey trillin the shit out of this jim around 6 min is just my cup of tea.  Ghost opens and with the energy trey was dishin out in jim this should be good.   And so far (6min mark) pretty solid and starts to show signs of some real good building.  Theres the stuff; from 9th min on things seem to turn real dark :crazy:  I really dig pages work around 1030 the rhoads+Hammond is always nice.   Nicely done guys, > :wtu:  I don't think could have gone any better.  Nice and dark, not sure what else can be said about :wtu: real cool song imo.  Seems like some real nice energy conglomerating from this mid set bag, me likey.  Wow ending fake out I like even more.  And another awesomely done>first tube, and even more ENEGRY.   Cool, calm, and collected Frankie to give everyone a bit of a brake.  Well so much for a brake, onto gin.  Solid gin intro,  really starts pickin up nice about 9.  REAL NICE!  Everyone is right where they should be I think around 1130 seems to be getting back to some quick darkness before hittin the free. I liked this gin.  Ok this is def one of the smoothest flowing sets of 2.0.  Every segue in this set has been near flawless, and from that pace at the end of gin > free never skipped a beat.  Mike and trey really showin whats up trey in min 8 is some real shred city. :clap:  Awesome first set /statement

Set 2: real nice intro into this waves.  Nice and spacey melodies spewin out of trey. >Sample now, even this short and to the point version still has its moment before >DWD.
Standard into followed but the usual highs from trey.  The drive of this show doesn't seem like its gunna slow down at all now that theres more building happening starting at 9 and mike just starts killin it.  :clap:  fish breaking it down again at around 14 makes me wanna get down in my room.  And they all got this rhythmic jam going on around the 15 mark that scratches me right where I itch.  DWD ends kinda blue ballish if ya get my drift. I was kinda hoping for just a bit more, but I guess I always do.  But still real good.  Walls of the cave nice gives a nice interlude in the intro before getting back on track again.  Liked it, everyone stayed together real nice.  I never really cared for two versions of me, I guess I still don't cause im getting distracted by malcom in the middle.  I am surprised I bit that this version has lasted longer than 5 min.  but they needed a rest as well as everyone else.  First crowd control. I like this song, just not in the second set I guess.  More of a opener I think, but still a nice simple version that's good.  Now time for "his" song (mikes).  Page is the first thing that really makes my ears stand up, just straight nailin everything.  The Hammond giving the vibe the needed "space" :thumbs up:  solid mikes bout to >Hydrogen makes me still upset I haven't seen one since Coventry :frustrated: wow this is a really good H02, def not one you would hear in 3.0 flubville.  Pretty flawless I must say>weekapaug.  Some real cool page work at 3 min is quite refreshing and appreciated as well as complimented by treys riff he has going.  And now this seems its trying to really get down (6min) im dancing in my room again.   Weekapaug did just what I like it to do, be awesome and end the show just as such.  What a show and to end it with crimes of the mind imo is pretty f'n cool.  I really like this song and come on the "DUDE" just great.  And hearing it not they def took parts of this song for "Joy". All in all having never heard this show ever, what was I thinking.  Im pretty sure the drinking didn't have to much sway on my judgement this show rocked on tape.  I am not even sure if I heard any flubs.  Good first week, and im up next week peace.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.