News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Phish 4.0

Started by VA $l!m, January 22, 2010, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

Quote from: mattstick on February 03, 2010, 09:40:17 AM

It seems like a pretty SER post, I didn't get the "joke" vibe at all.

thatfargone

Quote from: mattstick on February 03, 2010, 08:55:52 AM

So is anyone still listening to Miami?

I'm not, nor have I listened to any shows more than once through with the exception of a few tunes that got a repeat.  Maybe I am just bitter I didn't go, but Miami was more of the same exact thing they were doing the last week or so of Fall and I guess after following show by show, listening to everything, I just had my fill.

Right now I have been listening to older stuff and not touching anything 3.0.  The real test is soon to come...is this all we are to expect from the band now, or will they truly take off from here and push the music in new directions?  The question remains: Is Phish now a rock band or still deep down a psychedelic, improvisational band?  Nothing in 2009 answered this either way for me.
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

mattstick

Red Rocks & The Gorge were a good start, imo.

Obviously the overwhelmingly "rock" sound is a result of playing Exile on 10/31.

thatfargone

Quote from: mattstick on February 03, 2010, 11:50:36 AM

Exactly!  I was so excited for Summer Leg 2 after that start...then it never continued and, dare I say, got safer.  Then again after Albany...I was VERY excited for the last week of tour and, well....just got back to being safe again.

Obviously the overwhelmingly "rock" sound is a result of playing Exile on 10/31.

And, nothing scares me more than this fact.  Phish's sound from 1997-2000 was a direct extension of "Remain in Light."  If Phish is going to use "Exile" in a similar fashion and base the foreseeable future on the straight ahead "solo over the chords rawk jams" of 2009...I do not feel good about that.  At all. :|

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

sophist

So is anyone still listening to Miami?

I've been rocking Deer Creek & Camden > IT 03 more than anything lately.
I'm not.  I relistened to the following 09 shows last week Asheville, Knoxville, and Cincy I.  Besides that I have been on a 95 and 99 kick.  In general though, my Phish listening has wanned since the year ended.  I have been listening to a lot of albums (Animal Collective, Flaming Lips, Iron & Wine, Andrew Bird, M. Ward, and Wilco) and Grateful Dead. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Buffalo Budd

I'm still listening to Miami, it's the only full run of shows from '09 I've kept on my player along with a few highlights from Summer and Fall.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Marmar

Quote from: thatfargone on February 03, 2010, 11:58:41 AM

Exactly!  I was so excited for Summer Leg 2 after that start...then it never continued and, dare I say, got safer.  Then again after Albany...I was VERY excited for the last week of tour and, well....just got back to being safe again.

And, nothing scares me more than this fact.  Phish's sound from 1997-2000 was a direct extension of "Remain in Light."  If Phish is going to use "Exile" in a similar fashion and base the foreseeable future on the straight ahead "solo over the chords rawk jams" of 2009...I do not feel good about that.  At all. :|

weaksauce....

If that held true then 1995 should have had gooey 4 part harmonies on quick 4 minute ditties.....and 1996 should have been like Rawk Peak because it should have been based on The Who.....and then 1999 should have been all about the drugged out rawkstar due to Velvet Underground.....

and that entire statement I just put there...except for maybe the last sentence.....is FALSE....BLATENTLY.

Look at it like this.....they can't do what they do without the foundation in rawk.....period, /discussion
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

thatfargone

What exact part of the sauce is weak? 

I am stating a hypothetical concern based on the past and the idea that mattsticks theory is correct and that Exile did influence the straight rock of this past year...not that I am sure Phish will base this era off of Exile like they based the "Cow Funk" off of Remain.  Nor, did I state that Phish bases their playing style after each Halloween album.  There is no debate that the jam style of 1997-2000 was a direct result of the preparation and practice that went into rehearsing Remain.  If they use Exile in a similar fashion I do not expect anything more that what we have been given from 3.0.

rowjimmy

Superfreakie

I'm waiting for Phish 4.5.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

G. Augusto

Camden > IT 03 more than anything lately.

I listened to the two Camden '03 shows last week twice.
Still don't get the hate for the first night and the second night straight SMOKES!

Hicks

Quote from: G. Augusto on February 03, 2010, 05:15:36 PM

Still don't get the hate for the first night and the second night straight SMOKES!

Yup, people who have hate for 7/30/03 are missing the boat.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

G. Augusto

Quote from: Hicks on February 03, 2010, 05:21:48 PM

I know you don't like 07-29, but do you think that 07-30 is a better show?

GBL

Quote from: mattstick on February 03, 2010, 09:40:17 AM
PNC 00, next vid release?

The 28th is one of my favorite shows of all time..
If this is love, I'm never going home..

Hicks

Quote from: G. Augusto on February 03, 2010, 05:23:08 PM
Quote from: Hicks on February 03, 2010, 05:21:48 PM

I know you don't like 07-29, but do you think that 07-30 is a better show?

Than 7/29?  Heck yeah, I love 7/30/03. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.