News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jerry Garcia Band

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 19, 2010, 10:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcoholandcoffeebeans

ok, so i've figured out what i'm missing that sophist has, and vice-versa.

i'll make him the root for the vine to send me what i don't have and i'll do the same for him.

then i'll get this going out to whomever wants it... i'm trying to figure out which forum to post an audio-only vine to...
check back here for the link before the day is over :)

*edit*

http://week4paug.net/old-school-traders/reconstruction-audio-vine/msg412797/#msg412797
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

StCarl

re: Reconstruction - their last show was 1979-09-22

October through December 1979 were back to the Jerry Garcia Band
Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: StCarl on March 31, 2010, 01:56:05 PM
re: Reconstruction - their last show was 1979-09-22

October through December 1979 were back to the Jerry Garcia Band

thanks for that note...
i'll take those last two dates off the vine :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

StCarl

StCarl

There was a '1979 project' on bt.etree a couple years ago...  I looked at the db and I was surprised that there were more than a couple of new Reconstruction sources since then, and aside from new sources of circulating shows there have been a couple of entirely new shows to circulation- so this vine has, at least, 4/17/79 aud, 5/30/79 sbd, & 6/13/79 aud which were not included in that 79 project.  So if you got that then, FYI.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: StCarl on March 31, 2010, 02:37:18 PM
I was just saying.  ;)

i like learning new things :)

Quote from: StCarl on March 31, 2010, 02:45:17 PM
There was a '1979 project' on bt.etree a couple years ago...  I looked at the db and I was surprised that there were more than a couple of new Reconstruction sources since then, and aside from new sources of circulating shows there have been a couple of entirely new shows to circulation- so this vine has, at least, 4/17/79 aud, 5/30/79 sbd, & 6/13/79 aud which were not included in that 79 project.  So if you got that then, FYI.

:) thanks, again!

WhatstheUse?

Huge thanks to nab for sending a few flac filled JGB DVD's my way!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Listening to the 09-01-89 Tangled Up in Blue right now!  :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: ROCKIN'!!!!
Bring in the dude!

Superfreakie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 14, 2010, 07:49:23 PM
Huge thanks to nab for sending a few flac filled JGB DVD's my way!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Listening to the 09-01-89 Tangled Up in Blue right now!  :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: ROCKIN'!!!!

wait till you hit a "Don't Let Go" from that period. b :-o :-o :-o
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

WhatstheUse?

bump!

To update you all on my JGB progress -- I've been listening to a all the goodies that you guys hooked up/suggested for the past month or so and loving it all!!!

Of all the shows I've heard though so far..... I keep coming back to 1978-03-18, that show just seems to be bursting at the seams with good vibes!

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions  :-)
Bring in the dude!

Mr Minor

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 30, 2010, 02:13:02 PM
bump!

To update you all on my JGB progress -- I've been listening to a all the goodies that you guys hooked up/suggested for the past month or so and loving it all!!!

Of all the shows I've heard though so far..... I keep coming back to 1978-03-18, that show just seems to be bursting at the seams with good vibes!

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions  :-)

That's the show I literally burned the tape out on back in the day.  The day it broke I was so sad as I couldn't remember where I taped it.

pcr3

zimbra posted about this in the GD Thread, but I thought I'd bring it here for more focused discussion.

http://www.jambase.com/article/jerry-garcia-solo-catalog-coming-soon-to-streaming-services
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

nab

That 03-18-78 is so good.  Another one that I have been listening to since the tape trading days.

The new Garcia Live Volume 7 looks really good too.  76-80 is the sweet spot for me, though I love some 91 as well. 

QuoteVolume Seven showcases the Jerry Garcia Band's November 8th, 1976 performance at Sophie's in Palo Alto, California. Recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson, the original master reels were only recently re-discovered, along with a few other reels dubbed the "Houseboat Tapes", and have been remastered for this release. It was the year of this recording that Donna Jean and Keith Godchaux first joined up with the Jerry Garcia Band. Their addition, along with Ron Tutt on drums and bassist John Kahn, helped form what would be one of the most durable lineups of the Garcia Band. In fact, earlier that year Garcia commented "I haven't been as happy with any little performing group since Old And In The Way in terms of feeling 'this is really harmonious, this is what I want to hear.'"

That harmonious vibe is especially present as well. Throughout the course of the evening, the band deftly melds gospel, rock, soul, and reggae to form their quintessential mid-70's sound. As one astute critic pointed out, "More than any other Garcia band this one allows him room to run through all his guitar styles, often within a single song." From the opening notes of "The Way You Do The Things You Do", the band lock into a relaxed, but confident groove with Kahn & Tutt's deep pocket providing the foundation for Jerry & Keith's melodic exploration rounded out by Donna Jean's soulful harmonies. The Hunter/Garcia penned "Mission in the Rain" and Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" are particularly poignant and soulful while songs like "Midnight Moonlight", "Tore Up Over You" and "Ride Mighty High" provide the sparks bringing balance to the evening. A 22+ minute "Don't Let Go" stands out not only for its length, but for its exercise in dynamics which further showcases Garcia's comfort not only with the band, but the freedom found in playing smaller rooms tailor-made for they type of music he was looking to create.
Item #: JYDD17

Tracklist:

Disc 1:
1.) The Way You Do The Things You Do
2.) Knockin' on Heaven's Door
3.) After Midnight
4.) Who Was John?
5.) Mission in the Rain
6.) Stir It Up

Disc 2:
1.) Midnight Moonlight
2.) Tore Up Over You
3.) Friend of the Devil
4.) Don't Let Go
5.) Strange Man
6.) Stop That Train
7.) Ride Mighty High

Marmar

Music Mountain 6/1982 seems to strike a chord with me.....

There's also an insane show from 1979 with an INTENSE After Midnight.....Jerr just kept hitting peak after peak after peak.....I do believe it also had a sick Elenor Rigby jam stuffd inside of it....yeah...12/21/79....

And then there's the last JGB show I ever saw....http://db.etree.org/shn/97271 .....nothing really "smoking" per say, but a SOLID show. Worth a listen.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

mattstick

GarciaLive 10! 5/20/90 from Hawaii

We are pleased to announce the tenth installment of GarciaLive due for release on February 23rd and available for pre-order at Garcia Family Provisions! GarciaLive Volume Ten documents the Jerry Garcia Band's May 20th, 1990 performance at the Hilo Civic Auditorium in Hawaii. On the heels of a diabetic coma in 1986, Bill Kreutzmann encouraged Jerry to find peace and healing in the pristine blue waters of the Big Island's reef system. What was initially a hobby became a passion for Garcia as he later publicly advocated for the protection of Hawaii's natural areas and directed earnings from this show, held in the modest Hilo Civic Center, to The Ocean Recreation Council of Hawaii.

In this relaxed setting complete with leis on stage, it's no wonder that the music from this show shines so brightly – both in Garcia's strong vocals and guitar playing but also the joie de vivre setlist spanning some of Jerry's favorite corners of popular music – Dylan, Motown, Reggae, and Rock & Roll. Spurred on by the ever steady rhythm section of Dave Kemper and John Kahn, the Garcia band this night seemed to pull out all the stops complete with the celestial sounds of Melvin Seals' organ and the background vocals of Gloria Jones and Jacklyn LaBranch.

The sum of these parts that defined the 1990s Garcia Band sound would make for a magical Sunday night that first kicked off with the Holland-Dozier-Holland favorite "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)" followed by an idyllic "They Love Each Other."  Sprinkled in throughout the night are five Dylan covers including powerfully delivered vocals on versions of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," "Forever Young," and a positively soaring "Tangled Up In Blue" as the encore. Along the way, covers like "Stop That Train," "Waiting For A Miracle," and "Evangeline" ably accent originals like "Deal" and "Run For The Roses."

GarciaLive Volume Ten: May 20th, 1990 Hilo Civic Auditorium is now available for pre-order at Garcia Family Provisions in advance of it's February 23rd release date. The 2-CD set or digital downloads are available on their own or bundled with an exclusive t-shirt and/or a limited edition screen print by Nathaniel Deas signed and numbered by the artist in an edition of 500.

Tracklist:

1.) How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
2.) They Love Each Other
3.) Tough Mama
4.) Like A Road Leading Home
5.) Run For The Roses
6.) The Way You Do The Things You Do
7.) My Sisters And Brothers
8.) Knockin' On Heaven's Door
9.) Deal

Disc Two:

1.) The Harder They Come
2.) Forever Young
3.) Stop That Train