News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Trey and Mike

Started by redrum, June 28, 2010, 01:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrum

need each other.

and we need this thread.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

disco

shoulda pushed for the haiku rr, just a few more syllables
regardless you are correct
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

Superfreakie

it was once one

then they were four then three

will again be four
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

redrum

:clap:

still workin on mine..
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

mistercharlie

Where's the sweet poll?

But anyway Trey needs Mike more than Mike needs Trey. I would probably pay the $50 to watch mike on stage alone with his bass for 3 hours, I couldn't stomach 3 hours of Trey whaling on stage by himself.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Gumbo72203

What he said. 

The sad thing is that Trey CAN still play.  He CAN and has shredded in 2010.  Granted, he is not in 1994-shape, but he is back to a better place than he was even last year, I think. 

And not only that, his melodic sense is still in tact.  It just continues to be gunked up by he aquatic tendencies and bendy pedal.  That was the first thing that jumped out from the Chicago show: He was crafting lines, not just noodling.  Because, honestly, 99% of all last year was just noodling.  The Camden Sand/Tweezer, RR Boogie On, Albany Seven Below/Ghost, and...  I can't think of anything else where there was a legit JAM that had intent and focus and resulted in licks and melodies and jam sections that I can still remember note-for-note.  That only happens with the greatest of great jams, like the 7/22/03 Gumbo, the 7/10/99 Chalkdust, 12/30/93 Mike's Song, 12/31/98 Mike's Song (post tramps), 10/31/98 Mike's Song, 12/16/99 Tweezer, 12/7/99 Halley's Comet, 11/22/97 Halley's Comet, 12/30/95 Harry Hood, 8/10/04 ACDC Bag, etc etc.

But right now I'm listening to the Chalkdust Torture from Camden, and when Trey finally decides to stop fiddling around with his toys and gives up on trying to pull a Go-Go-Gadget 3P1c J@M, at 13:51, the jam fucking settles into a REAL Phish jam.  Like, a pH Phish jam.  A Phish jam. 

And then the last like, 2 minutes, are simply fucking great.  Mike's all over the place, and Trey is playing guitar.  The thematic playing isn't there, but the vibe is concise and directional.  And at 15:46, Trey even begins to lead a Type II turnaround with Fishman, oh but then the whammy pedal comes back.  This shit sounded like it was right about to fucking soar 7/10/99 style around 16:28....  but it fizzled instead. 

I'm almost wondering if this is a result of too much TAB during the hiatus.  Trey played with horns all the time, so thats what he got used to hearing onstage, and what his brain got used to hearing when it would think of music and imagine jams and songs 'n whatnot.

So, maybe that horn sensibility is so ingrained into his mind now, that he's trying to replicate what would be done with a sax on his guitar, because the more I listen to the whale, the more I become convinced that Trey is trying to sound like a sax/horn player, with his whammy pedal simulating the overblown notes and sqwonky-ness of a sax.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

aphineday

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 28, 2010, 10:14:35 AM
So, maybe that horn sensibility is so ingrained into his mind now, that he's trying to replicate what would be done with a sax on his guitar, because the more I listen to the whale, the more I become convinced that Trey is trying to sound like a sax/horn player, with his whammy pedal simulating the overblown notes and sqwonky-ness of a sax.
Interesting. I very much agree that he could have gotten used to hearing those horns. That being said, I'm still not completely convinced that he's actually looking for replication of that sound. He may hear that in his head, or perhaps that is just the easiest translation for him to make from his head to a Whaler. Either way, I still think that it's kind of a cop out, hide behind.

Whatever it is, it's definitely a crutch he's using that is kind of allowing him to cheat by without accessing all of that creativity. The point has been made in the WC thread that this could be due to his sobriety, etc. I agree. He hasn't had to access this stuff without some serious narcotic aid for quite a while, and it just takes time.

Where I disagree with a lot of people on the board right now is to say that I believe that they are playing extremely well right now. It might not be '94, but I think they are headed there. There have definitely been some moments this summer so far that I wouldn't have even thought they would get close to when listening to them a year ago.

Maybe Trey is nervous, blocked, whatever you want to call it, but the fact remains that he has shown MANY more moments of clarity (phrasings and melodically) this year, and I for one love where this is headed.

In terms of Mike, to say that "Mike Gordon is Phish" is not that far off. Mike has always been (and will continue to be) the rock. Mike killed it from the first note of Fluffhead at Hampton in '09, and has just been solid as solid gets. Page was pretty close from his first outing, but got completely comfortable really quick. Fishman was pretty loosey goosey last year, but has really hit a stride (and I believe ACTUALLY PRACTICED) this summer. Trey is not at that mind-blowing level that we all chase, but I'm okay with it. I'm totally in to letting him find his way back, and I hope collectively we can see this for what it really is, and can well become again.

The best quote I've read here in a long time has to be right here: "Epic shit on the horizon". Yes, and I can't fucking wait. That being said, I'm sure enjoying the ride.

EDIT: The quote was RJ and I believe it was "Epic shit on the radar". Either way, yes.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

rowjimmy

two axe-wielding bros
stand again united yet
sometimes so distant

jasonsobel

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 28, 2010, 08:55:44 AM
Where's the sweet poll?

But anyway Trey needs Mike more than Mike needs Trey. I would probably pay the $50 to watch mike on stage alone with his bass for 3 hours, I couldn't stomach 3 hours of Trey whaling on stage by himself.

I only saw Mike on-stage alone, solo, once.  at the 10/28/05 show with Leo Kottke, Leo left the stage for one song.  And Mike was awesome.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9beuj6
recorded from the second row :)
sing me back home before I die

Superfreakie

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 28, 2010, 12:23:03 PM
two axe-wielding bros
stand again united yet
sometimes so distant

:clap:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

cactusfan

stuck to a cactus
the mighty orca struggles
why not swim away?

Superfreakie

Quote from: cactusfan on June 28, 2010, 04:26:35 PM
stuck to a cactus
the mighty orca struggles
why not swim away?

AMAZING.

::just in case some have not caught into the thread's gist. We're all adept at babbling and rambling. Let's try to keep this haiku style.::  

mistercharlie

Quote from: jasonsobel on June 28, 2010, 12:47:48 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on June 28, 2010, 08:55:44 AM
Where's the sweet poll?

I only saw Mike on-stage alone, solo, once.  at the 10/28/05 show with Leo Kottke, Leo left the stage for one song.  And Mike was awesome.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9beuj6
recorded from the second row :)

Thanks Jason!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

MiamiPhish

Do we need this thread?
Oh no, I've fallen for it
Why stop now, I guess.

mistercharlie

Trey goes hunting whale
Dodging many heavy Gordo Bombs
then pow, Horse forcing