News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/07 - Greek Theatre - Berkeley, CA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by blatboom, August 08, 2010, 01:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfreakie

Quote from: Marmar on August 08, 2010, 06:43:10 PM
not everyone can make you forget you are standing on a hunk of rock circling a star speeding thru intergalactic space at over 25,000mph while your emotions are going on a ride just as fast...like  :phish: can...all because of sound.

love it.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Caravan2001

Have to agree with Pie, the Greek is a great venue,  I have seen about 10 shows there, but not since the Comes A Time tribute with Trey in 2005 I think, so it has been a while.  I was at the '93 Phish show, and things have come a long way since then.  I have to say, it is an epic venue.   Better than Red Rocks or the Gorge?  Soundwise, 100000%, but the others really have their merits, as does MSG and to a smaller extent Hampton.  Still, I was really impressed with the venue this time around, almost more than any other time.  I saw Primus there which was actually pretty sick too.  Hicks and Messick caught two nights of Radiohead, which must have been dope.

Anyway, listened to this show on the drive into Tride, most of it anyway.  The Sueprise is sick and so is the Theme and Light jam.....

Pretty fired up for the venue I'm at right now...I am in Mountain Village and there are heads everywhere, and all the golf club set is fleeing town...This shit is going to destroy!!!!  :samurai:

Marmar

Foam...they're listening to each other again......

Reba....listening even more......

Poor Heart....Trey's pickin a lil bit more than usual ;)

Light.....I can see it.....it starts at 9 minutes 5 seconds in.....IT comes out and says a lil to those who are listening......

Hood......thank you mr. miner....then float away.......beautiful......

Also Sprach Zarathrusta......illmatic goodness......

Slave.....delicate......they are really listening to each other again.......

1st Tube is sounding nasty these days....

They are listening....which is good....real good
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

redrum

got the greatest voicemail from :wtu: last night right after the show.
he sounded very pleased with the band's performance.  :-D
it was awesome.

i'm psyched for ya buddy!!  :wtu:
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Marmar on August 08, 2010, 08:09:35 PM
Foam...they're listening to each other again......

Reba....listening even more......

Poor Heart....Trey's pickin a lil bit more than usual ;)

Light.....I can see it.....it starts at 9 minutes 5 seconds in.....IT comes out and says a lil to those who are listening......

Hood......thank you mr. miner....then float away.......beautiful......

Also Sprach Zarathrusta......illmatic goodness......

Slave.....delicate......they are really listening to each other again.......

1st Tube is sounding nasty these days....

They are listening....which is good....real good

I was coming here to post something along the same lines, suffice it to say.......ditto.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Gumbo72203

I think by "magic", he was meaning something along the lines of something like..... oh, The Curtain With -> My Left Toe -> What's The Use?*& -> Dark Star* -> Wolfman's Brother* -> Bertha**& -> Greatest Story Ever Told** -> My Left Toe** -> TMWSIY > Avenu Malkenu > TMWSIY -> The Curtain With

* with Phil
** with Phil and Bobby
& Phil bombs cause Berkeley earthquake sirens to go off (they took off the Philter after Jerry died)
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

no matter what y'all think.....for me, Phish has ALWAYS been about the music....shit went downhill when it became the "experience" over the music......

and hands down, Phish has ALWAYS been better when it is about the music

rant:
anyone can party, not everyone can make you forget you are standing on a hunk of rock circling a star speeding thru intergalactic space at over 25,000mph while your emotions are going on a ride just as fast...like  :phish: can...all because of sound.

/rant

I think you got it backwards........  Phish is the ONLY band that can make you REALIZE you are actually globs of individual atoms and molecules combined together standing on a hunk of rock hurtling through intergalactic space around a giant glob of gas and plasma which actually HAS emotions that are going on equally similar a ride.

And you are half-correct; the music WAS the experience.  You went to experience THAT music, which you could get nowhere else.

The Dead died, and the hordes of pestilence descended upon the secret, imparting a party identity that at first rivaled the musical experience, and then unfortunately overtook the musical experience and BECAME the focal experience, where the music was only a FRACTION of the whole event, and not the main focus; a mere added bonus. 

Hence the ubiquitous "Amazing EXPERIENCE" gushing on the comment section of every PH show on LP, and on into 3.0.  Wow Page is killing the piano during the WUDMTF shit!!!!!!!!  Go man!!!!!
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

nab

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 08, 2010, 09:52:43 PM
no matter what y'all think.....for me, Phish has ALWAYS been about the music....shit went downhill when it became the "experience" over the music......

and hands down, Phish has ALWAYS been better when it is about the music

rant:
anyone can party, not everyone can make you forget you are standing on a hunk of rock circling a star speeding thru intergalactic space at over 25,000mph while your emotions are going on a ride just as fast...like  :phish: can...all because of sound.

/rant

I think you got it backwards........  Phish is the ONLY band that can make you REALIZE you are actually globs of individual atoms and molecules combined together standing on a hunk of rock hurtling through intergalactic space around a giant glob of gas and plasma which actually HAS emotions that are going on equally similar a ride.

And you are half-correct; the music WAS the experience.  You went to experience THAT music, which you could get nowhere else.

The Dead died, and the hordes of pestilence descended upon the secret, imparting a party identity that at first rivaled the musical experience, and then unfortunately overtook the musical experience and BECAME the focal experience, where the music was only a FRACTION of the whole event, and not the main focus; a mere added bonus. 

Hence the ubiquitous "Amazing EXPERIENCE" gushing on the comment section of every PH show on LP, and on into 3.0.  Wow Page is killing the piano during the WUDMTF shit!!!!!!!!  Go man!!!!!

Because no one ever partied at a Phish show before Jerry died.   :roll:

Sounds like the bitter words of someone much older than you speaking there. 

Poster Nutbag

Just got back from the shows... Thought they were completely off the hook!! Haven't had a chance to give them a re-listen, but already agree with with Marmar's review... 2001 > Suzy was absolutely fantastic, so was the Light jam from this show... Also met up with Whats the Use and Pie Guy very briefly, very cool people!! awesome shows and awesome atmosphere... 
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

hansokolow

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 08, 2010, 04:23:55 PM
Quote from: hansokolow on August 08, 2010, 03:01:00 PM
I have plenty to say about you misguided whale-haters, but for another time.  So I'll simply ask, if you hate blowjobs so much, why do you keep showing up at the blowjob store?

I will argue you to the edges of the universe about the whale. I assure you, I'm far from being misguided. That being said, I thoroughly enjoy a rippin' blowjob. You have given me my new sig:

Well that tickles me pink, pie guy.  I'm sure I would enjoy that argument.  And I'm now extremely proud to say I've seen both the Grateful Dead and Phish at the best venue on this giant spinning rock full of emotion.  Just once, my first Dead show and their last one at the Greek.

Superfreakie

Quote from: hansokolow on August 08, 2010, 11:43:51 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on August 08, 2010, 04:23:55 PM
Quote from: hansokolow on August 08, 2010, 03:01:00 PM
I have plenty to say about you misguided whale-haters, but for another time.  So I'll simply ask, if you hate blowjobs so much, why do you keep showing up at the blowjob store?

I will argue you to the edges of the universe about the whale. I assure you, I'm far from being misguided. That being said, I thoroughly enjoy a rippin' blowjob. You have given me my new sig:

Well that tickles me pink, pie guy.  I'm sure I would enjoy that argument.  And I'm now extremely proud to say I've seen both the Grateful Dead and Phish at the best venue on this giant spinning rock full of emotion.  Just once, my first Dead show and their last one at the Greek.

I'm Superfreakie not Pie-Guy, he's about 30 pounds heavier.  :wink:

PIE-GUY

SF needs to eat more pie. In fact, most of you fcukers need to eat more pie.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Superfreakie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 09, 2010, 12:55:05 AM
SF needs to eat more pie. In fact, most of you fcukers need to eat more pie.

Shit, I eat a lot of pie, maybe I've been eating the wrong pie.  :roll: