News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vibes & More for our friend, WhyWeigh

Started by gah, August 11, 2010, 03:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyforget

an ipad would be more suitable than a laptop, and while still pretty impossible to type, i have seen a dictation app that will type what you say, though im not sure if it will do it in a forums text entry window or just within that specific app.  i suspect its just the app...
-AD_

ph92

Quote from: guyforget on August 17, 2010, 02:15:06 PM
i dont think he's in a position to use a laptop as he's probably pretty much confined to lying flat on his back.   he posted from his iphone on phishposters last night saying it was hard to type laying on his back looking up at his phone, but his laptop did not survive the crash. 

i also dont know how much they allow electronics usage in the icu. 
OH NO! we gotta get him a new laptop then, i thought someone said his camera phone and lappy made it?

i know some people that might be able to get their hands on a cheap laptop (but a good one) and i could set it up for him. we could paypal the dude i know or something. thats if he can get a decent laptop, or i can ask my dad's company's tech guys to see if they have something i could buy for cheap, they get great solid/fast computer i know they all have upgraded RAM and HDs i think

so i could maybe contribute something like that
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

sophist

Quote from: phishhead92 on August 17, 2010, 05:45:26 PM
i dont think he's in a position to use a laptop as he's probably pretty much confined to lying flat on his back.   he posted from his iphone on phishposters last night saying it was hard to type laying on his back looking up at his phone, but his laptop did not survive the crash. 

OH NO! we gotta get him a new laptop then, i thought someone said his camera phone and lappy made it?

i know some people that might be able to get their hands on a cheap laptop (but a good one) and i could set it up for him. we could paypal the dude i know or something. thats if he can get a decent laptop, or i can ask my dad's company's tech guys to see if they have something i could buy for cheap, they get great solid/fast computer i know they all have upgraded RAM and HDs i think

Bob Sacamano'd
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

tet

while generous, I know he's a Mac guy so finding one on the cheap may not be that easy... but that's a nice thought.  i think our money might be better utilized on something more immediate and functional, such as the hearing aides...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

gah

Quote from: tet on August 18, 2010, 10:12:32 AM
while generous, I know he's a Mac guy so finding one on the cheap may not be that easy... but that's a nice thought.  i think our money might be better utilized on something more immediate and functional, such as the hearing aides...

Agreed. Like pie guy said, that's a quality of life issue.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mattstick

Quote from: guyforget on August 17, 2010, 04:12:05 PM
an ipad would be more suitable than a laptop, and while still pretty impossible to type, i have seen a dictation app that will type what you say, though im not sure if it will do it in a forums text entry window or just within that specific app.  i suspect its just the app...

You can copy and paste out of the app though.

PIE-GUY

The thought behind a laptop or ipad is great, but even talking in a way that is recognizable by software may be difficult for ww. Really, hearing aides should be the first priority, imo.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 18, 2010, 10:25:35 AM
The thought behind a laptop or ipad is great, but even talking in a way that is recognizable by software may be difficult for ww. Really, hearing aides should be the first priority, imo.

Agreed.  My thought was so that he would at least have some way to kill time.  Being the IT guy that I am, I sometimes access to old laptops, etc. so that was my thought. 

But on the hearing aid issue, does anyone have any knowledge of this stuff?  Are there certain decibel levels some do?  Are there some basic ones to at least get him started?  No idea on this stuff.  If I get some information or something I can contact HearPO.  AAA has them as a National partner and gives 25% discount to members.  I am not sure if employees could get a deeper discount.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

justjezmund

Quote from: sophist on August 18, 2010, 08:20:33 AM

Bob Sacamano'd

thats a rat hat?

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

StCarl

Quote from: JustJezmund on August 18, 2010, 11:54:28 AM
Quote from: sophist on August 18, 2010, 08:20:33 AM

Bob Sacamano'd

thats a rat hat?

The difference is negligible.
Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.

kellerb

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on August 18, 2010, 11:11:00 AM

Agreed.  My thought was so that he would at least have some way to kill time.  Being the IT guy that I am, I sometimes access to old laptops, etc. so that was my thought. 

But on the hearing aid issue, does anyone have any knowledge of this stuff?  Are there certain decibel levels some do?  Are there some basic ones to at least get him started?  No idea on this stuff.  If I get some information or something I can contact HearPO.  AAA has them as a National partner and gives 25% discount to members.  I am not sure if employees could get a deeper discount.

Hearing aids have a wide variety of prices, from a couple hundred $ to thousands.  Features also vary widely, and most are custom-fit (they take a mold of your ear canal, then create the hearing aid insert from that).  We'd need to find out from WW what special/specific features his hearing aides had, as the features can drastically affect how useful they are.

shoreline99

Wow, late to this thread (was talking about it last night). Hope there is some way to help out and get WW back on his feet sooner rather than later...
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

ph92

Quote from: tet on August 18, 2010, 10:12:32 AM
oh cant help you with macs (personal angst against them) but yeah thats true, hearing aids are pretty necessary.

as far as the computer goes, we could snag a refurbished one from the store... OR, buy one from ebay with a fucked up screen for cheap,  have a screen tyhat i was gonna replace on my sister's but she just got a new one instead, that would be awesome and easy for me. just that white plasic model i think the 13.3" screen. so i think as far as the computer situation goes that could be our best bet, but we should still focus on other stuff first

Quote from: kellerb on August 18, 2010, 12:12:17 PM
Quote from: UncleEbinezer on August 18, 2010, 11:11:00 AM

Hearing aids have a wide variety of prices, from a couple hundred $ to thousands.  Features also vary widely, and most are custom-fit (they take a mold of your ear canal, then create the hearing aid insert from that).  We'd need to find out from WW what special/specific features his hearing aides had, as the features can drastically affect how useful they are.

does he have insurance? cause i would think that would take care of hearing aids? or no? i know my dad has one but i he said our plan covered some of the expense i just dont know how much.

also my dad has one that doesnnt have a custom fit, its just the piece that goes behind your ear, then a thin tube of some sort (clear) and a ear bud type thing that he just sticks in his ear, so he didnt have to get the mold or anythign (ive looked into that appointment myself for headphone molds like IEMs, the appointment its a coupole hundred then the molding is like another 1-2 hundred) so maybe it would be smart to think about that style that my dad has (if it would work for him of course)
Make America Melt Again!

guyforget

wife and i went to visit shawn tonight.  he has been downgraded from the icu and is now in a different room on the same floor.  280, further down the same hall.  he had some energy and was able to talk a while, he said he was feeling better than he was the other day when jamey, jake, and john went to visit.  his mom and dad are still around, too. 

they said that his hearing aids were going to be covered by warranty, so thats a pretty critical piece of his return to normalcy taken care of.  but he's still bored as hell sitting in the hospital bed 24 hours a day, so i think that getting him a laptop or an ipad or something so that he can get online and listen to some shows, etc should be a focus if we are to be putting together a fundraiser.

my vote still goes towards an ipad.  its going to be a while 'til he can deal w/ a laptop.  an ipad covers the immediate needs bases and is also light and easy to handle.  the guy's in a halo w/ 15 screws in his skull.  he has a cast on his right hand.  his pelvis is broken.  he cant put a laptop on his lap and start typing..... 

-AD_

ph92

Quote from: guyforget on August 19, 2010, 02:05:31 AM
wife and i went to visit shawn tonight.  he has been downgraded from the icu and is now in a different room on the same floor.  280, further down the same hall.  he had some energy and was able to talk a while, he said he was feeling better than he was the other day when jamey, jake, and john went to visit.  his mom and dad are still around, too. 

they said that his hearing aids were going to be covered by warranty, so thats a pretty critical piece of his return to normalcy taken care of.  but he's still bored as hell sitting in the hospital bed 24 hours a day, so i think that getting him a laptop or an ipad or something so that he can get online and listen to some shows, etc should be a focus if we are to be putting together a fundraiser.

my vote still goes towards an ipad.  its going to be a while 'til he can deal w/ a laptop.  an ipad covers the immediate needs bases and is also light and easy to handle.  the guy's in a halo w/ 15 screws in his skull.  he has a cast on his right hand.  his pelvis is broken.  he cant put a laptop on his lap and start typing..... 

alright well im glad the hearing aids are taken care of, also im glad he is feeling a lil bit better, i forgot he messed up his wrist but still for later i suggest we check around for macbooks with broken screens as they will probably go for like <500 (i would think) how much are ipads?

also if i help out with a ipad or a laptop i can always put some music on for him :-D got TONS of stuff, we should do some HD vines for hims so he can get some movies and music etc, that would be perfect if we got a portable drive with his laptop
Make America Melt Again!