News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

10/16 - N Charleston Coliseum- N Charleston, SC- Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by mbw, October 16, 2010, 11:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehead

Quote from: LOLRUSHEAD on October 17, 2010, 08:13:56 PM
one of the stranger 2001 I've heard...didn't like it

always up for a good laugh, I just read miner's review of the show..he said this 2001 smokes this year's Camden 2001

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

G. Augusto

DoW

I only read a couple of posts but I couldn't wait to hear this show based on the setlist (well, I guess I could since I haven't yet).
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

blatboom

right.  the 3 shows I saw this year were fun as hell and in the moment I could give a shit about the miscues or whatever, just laugh it off and keep rocking out.  but they sound so bad on these recordings (imo)

McGrupp

Quote from: blatboom on October 17, 2010, 08:34:07 PM
right.  the 3 shows I saw this year were fun as hell and in the moment I could give a shit about the miscues or whatever, just laugh it off and keep rocking out.  but they sound so bad on these recordings (imo)

Still haven't listened to the shows, so i'm just basing everything off of my experience.

Place was rocking. Energy was unreal. Phish had fun, the crowd had fun = good show in my book.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mistercharlie

Quote from: LOLRUSHEAD on October 17, 2010, 08:32:37 PM

always up for a good laugh, I just read miner's review of the show..he said this 2001 smokes this year's Camden 2001

Miner can't even fluff right.  :|
Camden 2001 was the shit, one of the highest points of 3.0 in my opinion.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mehead

Quote from: McGrupp on October 17, 2010, 08:37:41 PM
Quote from: blatboom on October 17, 2010, 08:34:07 PM

Still haven't listened to the shows, so i'm just basing everything off of my experience.

Place was rocking. Energy was unreal. Phish had fun, the crowd had fun = good show in my book.

and quite frankly mcgrupp, that's all that matters...being at the show vs. not being at the show will usually lead to very different reviews

mehead

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 17, 2010, 08:37:54 PM

he obviously wasn't in attendance for Camden...if he was, then he is seriously disturbed in the head...those of us there knew what we were getting was  :crazy:

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

VA $l!m

ha,eh, i came on to see if i could make a guest appearance in a LST, butt alas, it appears south carolina ate the phish
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

justjezmund

Quote from: LOLRUSHEAD on October 17, 2010, 08:42:13 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on October 17, 2010, 08:37:54 PM

he obviously wasn't in attendance for Camden...if he was, then he is seriously disturbed in the head...those of us there knew what we were getting was  :crazy:

Camden is no joke obviously.

But trey brought things to this version that I thought went quite well.  I dig this 2001.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Caravan2001

I really think this show is pretty decent.....i like it better than the other shows this tour at this point...I started it at Sand and have listened to the LP twice and the schoeps once....I think there is some dope shit.....glad I skipped the mango...

sophist

Whew. 

What a fucking weekend.  I know I briefly covered Friday night in the other thread, but I'll post a more detailed review of that show as well.  As for night two, I'm still in shock over it.  I got no sleep on Friday night, not due to partying, but only having a floor to sleep on, and no covers to keep warm with, so as a result  I was kind of lackadaisical until we got the festivities going for the day.   McGrupp met me at my room around 4ish, we had a little knob creek, and enjoyed the warmth of a good bourbon. We headed over to the lot around 4ish, and began pregaming with a bunch of my buddies.  George preceded to hand me a little gift from the dirty RVA, a 42 ounce PBR tall boy (see pic below).  The alcohol gods love me.  Rawsome.  Great way to start the night.  We pregamed until just before seven, and then our group headed into the venue.  ACB, thatfar gone, and his lady joined us shortly before we headed into the venue, and we all snagged seats in section 126. 

Saturday night had a bigger turn out than Friday.  I'm not sure what tickets were going for on the lot, but I saw extra's around.  To me, this had a direct impact, the energy was much higher on Saturday night than on Friday night.  The band started off solid enough, KDF > Guelah Papyrus.  I could of done without another KDF falls opener, but beggers can't be choosers, and it's one of the few gripes I have with this show.  The first set really picks up momentum when they drop into the Curtain (with).  Now ACB and Grupp were with me for this.  All I can really say is, wow.  It just filled my heart with such joy.  I was taken aback, and in a lot of ways it felt full circle for me.  From memory, it was a solid version.  I do remember not liking how Trey started so soft with the jam (I prefer it when he comes in with some voracious lick a la Colorado '88).  I know seeing this and being around all my friends is going to create a bias I can't overcome, it simply made my night, and my weekend.  I knew from then on, I was in for one of the most unique experiences of my life. 

We follow the lines going South....

The set continued to escalate and the energy continued to build.  One thing that I would love to note, and it's something I haven't seen a lot in 3.0 is the how the band fed off the crowd energy on 10/16.  It really birthed new life into them, and I was loving how you could just feel this collective explosion of power throughout the whole show.  Even with horrendous flubs like in Mango Song, it didn't deter from the energy of the band.  Yes, Mango was butchered, but none the less I enjoyed it.   Sand was a monster.  I just remember finally thinking, "you know, Sand's actually not bad."  Who would of thought it, a 3.0 sand changed my perception of a song I usually go to no ends to hate on.  The peak of the jam had the crowd just in a furry, and again, I really loved seeing this sort of interaction from the band and the crowd.  It's something that has been missing from a lot of these 3.0 shows. 

Limb was solid.  Well placed.  I really liked the placement of Sneaking Sally as well, and the vocal jam with it was a nice treat.    Uncle Pen was kind of sloppy, but I dug the variety and the choice to slot it where they did.  Pebbles and Marbles also had a little slop, but I'll take it.  I love seeing this song live, CK5 always has some interesting lights for it.  Cavern was well played, and the crowd was loving it, and finally the set closed with a good David Bowie. 

The end of set one had a buzz about it, where I think we just knew it was going to get even better for set II.  Set II delivered in my opinion.  The Cross Eyed Opener was hot, and I really liked the way Trey led this version.  It ripped a hole in the crowd, and the energy went through the roof.  I turned to George, and asked him, "where the fuck has this band been?"  It became my focus of thought for the night.  I'm not saying the playing was monumentally better than any other 3.0 show, but the energy was so different.  Phish found their ability to finally communicate with the crowd again, and command attention from the crowd.  There were no people standing around talking when it got quite, it was complete focus on the band for the entire second set. 

I really liked the placement of Dirt in slot II, second set.  To me, the lyrics "still waiting" paired with an existential song have very profound meaning, it was as if the band was telling us that we must live in the moment, so that when we finally do reflect on our lives, we have no disappointments.  I thought Dirt was very well played.  The Fluffhead was well received and well played as well. 

While the 2001 was short, it kept the momentum going in my opinion.  I enjoyed it despite some flubs from the band.  The tweezer was very psychedelic to me.  It went to a weird place and then settled into a major key jam before fizzling out to segue into Show of Life.

I like Show of Life a lot, and I liked the placement here a lot.  This is a Dead like tune to me.  The lyrics while mildly cheesy are also a little profound to me.  I also thought that the show would close with this tune, which at the time I considered to be a very ballsy move by the band.  Alas I was wrong. 

YEM was fantastic.  A few flubs in the composition, and a great jam and an outstanding vocal jam.  I think I been around is a decent song, and I liked the placement in the encore.  Quinn got the place rocking, and Tweezprise was an orgasm as always.  We walked out of the show floored and ready to straight rage.  A few post show beers at my buddies car, and then that's when the night gets nuts for me. 

So I'd like to preface, that I had an epic prank set up for McGrupp but it never materialized.  I kept telling him all night that I had a bag of blow for him and he needed to come by and do it.  I built it up, and up.  In reality it was a bag of powdered coffee cream and sugar.  The goal of course was to get Grupp to rail a huge line of sugar.  Like I said, it never happened.  Grupp ended up going poon hunting I think.  We raged the hotel all night.  One of the guys that was in my room plays piano, so we spent most of the night in the hotel lobby listening to him play and partying.  The security guard was ultra chill about it.  At one point we had about 50 people gathered around all drinking, smoking, and singing as loud as possible.  It was a straight rage fest. 

This went on from maybe 2am-3:30am.  I felt Hungry, so my buddy and I trekked it over to the waffle house.  So as we walk into the waffle house, I see this dude in this elaborate outfit that looked like psychedelic puke meets Aladdin.  He also had glitter all over his face.  He asks me about an after party, and in my typical fashion, I tell him I know about a fucking awesome after party, and tell him about our hotel lobby. 

The guy straight snaps on me.  He starts going off about how he's so sick and tired of people saying they know shit when they don't.  My buddy and I get an earful from this dude for like 5 minutes.  Finally he realizes that he just made a huge ass of himself, and instead of apologizing, he sits down and starts to proceed to bitch about the Phish show too.  Needless to say, it was the last thing I wanted to see or hear at 4:30 in the morning with a head full of acid. 

He left, and we straight grubbed down.  Walked back to the hotel, and I find everyone else in my room passed out.  I stayed up chilling and got to watch the sunrise.  I met up with my ride the next morning, and we hit downtown Chuck for food and to do a few tourist things.  Raged some Bloody Mary's at the Noisy Oyster.  Then we hit the road to get back to Atlanta.  We caught horrendous traffic on the way home.  I-26 was pretty grid locked for 20 something miles.   I finally got some sleep last night. 

All in all.  Awesome time.  I loved the run, and it's my favorite experience so far since they came back.  Bring on NYE @ the Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: sophist on October 18, 2010, 09:55:56 AM
Whew. 

One thing that I would love to note, and it's something I haven't seen a lot in 3.0 is the how the band fed off the crowd energy on 10/16.  It really birthed new life into them, and I was loving how you could just feel this collective explosion of power throughout the whole show

This is what made the Greek shows so good for me. The crowd is just on top of the band in that place and the energy was insane for 3 perfect nights!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Nice review Soph, glad you had a good time and the boys actually impressed ya.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.