News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'The Hobbit'

Started by mistercharlie, October 17, 2010, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 31, 2012, 10:01:07 PM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 31, 2012, 03:57:58 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 31, 2012, 03:36:53 PM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 31, 2012, 03:18:20 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 31, 2012, 01:23:13 PM
May as well dip into the back of LOTR, too.
All those times when Gandalf leaves the travelers is going to be covered too.

So those scenes will fast-forward in time or the continuity will be adjusted for these films?

They happen more or less concurrently.

The story was revealed in the appendices to LOTR as well as other writings, and only lightly touched upon in The Hobbit.

Ah, you meant the travelers in The Hobbit, not those times when Gandalf peaced out on the LOTR travelers.

His absences were well accounted for in those films...

Didn't know if there was more to the story; not a huge Tolkien scholar. I misread your sentences.
Is this still Wombat?

barnesy305

If he George Lucas' this trilogy, he's gonna get a lightsaber in the dark side.

rowjimmy

There is some precedent here.

The Lord Of The Rings was one book that Tolkien's publisher suggested be carved into three...

mistercharlie

Not really "Hobbit" related, but it is in perpetration for the release of The Hobbit.

My wife, the librarian, has sadly never read nor watched any of the Lord of the Rings books/movies. She asked me last night what I wanted to do for my birthday on Wednesday, my reply was "I want to watch nine and a half hours worth of movies". She agreed to it! This will be the first time I watch all three movies in a single sitting. I am toying with digging out my old VCR from the garage and popping in my tape of The Hobbit cartoon as a cap to the night, but I probably won't end up doing that (the VCR might not even work anymore at this point).
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

gah

Quote from: mistercharlie on August 13, 2012, 07:42:23 AM
Not really "Hobbit" related, but it is in perpetration for the release of The Hobbit.

My wife, the librarian, has sadly never read nor watched any of the Lord of the Rings books/movies. She asked me last night what I wanted to do for my birthday on Wednesday, my reply was "I want to watch nine and a half hours worth of movies". She agreed to it! This will be the first time I watch all three movies in a single sitting. I am toying with digging out my old VCR from the garage and popping in my tape of The Hobbit cartoon as a cap to the night, but I probably won't end up doing that (the VCR might not even work anymore at this point).

HA! I had that cartoon vhs too!

Way to fool your wife into being so bored she'll WANT to have birthday sex with you just to end it already!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on August 13, 2012, 07:42:23 AM

I watched all three movies (extended editions of course) in a single day once.

I don't recommend it.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

antelope19

Yeah, I love the LOTR series as much as anyone else, but man, ADD wins every time.  There's no way I could do that.  I've watched the first two back to back, but it just wasn't gonna happen. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mistercharlie

Taking the above comments into consideration we decided to watch Fellowship tonight and then watch Two Towers and Return of the King tomorrow.

* mistercharlie goes to work and bides time until his trip to Middle-Earth.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

khalpin

khalpin

Somewhat related....a Middle Earth-themed flight safety video:

VA $l!m

im really hoping i can avoid spoilers and 'hated/loved' it posts til i getg a chance to see this. gonna be tough to avoid...

anyway, something i heard mentioned a month or so ago-- i heard they were splitting this thing up into 3 films or something?!??

maybe someone on tv mispoke, but i swear i heard an interview concerning the Hobbit/ peter jackson's new TRILOGY.

bueller?
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mistercharlie

Quote from: VA $l!m on December 14, 2012, 08:52:15 PM
im really hoping i can avoid spoilers and 'hated/loved' it posts til i getg a chance to see this. gonna be tough to avoid...

anyway, something i heard mentioned a month or so ago-- i heard they were splitting this thing up into 3 films or something?!??

maybe someone on tv mispoke, but i swear i heard an interview concerning the Hobbit/ peter jackson's new TRILOGY.

bueller?

It is indeed a trilogy. He's fleshing out the story with stuff from the various appendixes of the different middle earth books.

cactusfan

saw The Hobbit.

do yourself a favor and DO NOT see this thing projected at the high frame rate of 48fps. it looks shockingly awful. peter jackson has gone insane if he things this looks good.

as for the movie, it also sucks, but i know you'll see it anyway. i hope you like endless CGI battles straight out of video games, because that's about all you get for three hours.

and if you really want to know how i feel:
http://www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2012/12/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-disaster/

VA $l!m

Quote from: mistercharlie on December 14, 2012, 09:00:25 PM

bueller?

It is indeed a trilogy. He's fleshing out the story with stuff from the various appendixes of the different middle earth books.

wow... uber marketing ploy. not impressed.
so we are going to get a bunch of random crap thrown in?
3 films for the friggin hobbit? ugh. so... in other words this story is going to drag like a mutha. not sure i'm goin to bother seein this in the theatre now.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

emay

Quote from: VA $l!m on December 15, 2012, 06:52:07 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on December 14, 2012, 09:00:25 PM

bueller?

wow... uber marketing ploy. not impressed.
so we are going to get a bunch of random crap thrown in?
3 films for the friggin hobbit? ugh. so... in other words this story is going to drag like a mutha. not sure i'm goin to bother seein this in the theatre now.

agreed. No need for 3 movies outta the Hobbit.