News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'The Hobbit'

Started by mistercharlie, October 17, 2010, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

I knew what you meant. You'll see in the second film, that Jackson doesn't actually think so little of Radagast.

As for Bombadil, I think leaving him out makes total sense when you remember that these films are not just for the folks who read the books.
If you were completely unfamiliar with LOTR and, after learning what a great menace to the world this little ring happens to be, you'd be confused if this jaunty fellow took a hold of it and was completely unfased by its power. I think that's an element that confuses many first-time readers and the medium of the novel is far better suited to explaining what Bombadil is in the world.

barnesy305

I understand the whole being in charge of the animals and plants bit, but being covered in bird shit was for the twelve year olds. Take a fucking bath. Also, it seemed to me that half the dialogue was just slight rewrites of lines from the first trilogy. And I usually love this type of shit.

khalpin

Point taken.  I have to admit, having only read The Hobbit and the LotR trilogy, I didn't know any of that history about the revisions to the story and material drawn from other sources, although I'd heard rumblings about the Necromancer before. 

Also, one other thing that I found out while poking around that I was completely mistaken about was that it was Peter Jackson and crew that decided to stretch it out into three films, saying the need to seize the one opportunity to tell the whole tale.  I had been thinking all along that it was MGM/Newline, etc. requesting a third film to cash in on the obvious goldmine and that PJ and crew had to drum up a bunch of sidestories, like the pale orc and add a bunch of random action sequences to stretch it out.

Hicks

Regardless of the official story, so to speak, I have no doubt that the suits didn't need any convincing to stretch it out.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on December 18, 2013, 09:38:15 PM
Regardless of the official story, so to speak, I have no doubt that the suits didn't need any convincing to stretch it out.

I'm sure that meeting went very well.

Caravan2001

Pen is charged, ganja fudge on deck (with nuts)....watching the first one for the first time tonight.  Gotta turn up my sub....

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on December 20, 2013, 11:12:26 PM
Pen is charged, ganja fudge on deck (with nuts)....watching the first one for the first time tonight.  Gotta turn up my sub....

Lemme know if you want to hit up the new one. . .
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on December 20, 2013, 11:45:03 PM

Lemme know if you want to hit up the new one. . .

for sure....

mistercharlie

Ha! My plan for today after going to my grandpas Xmas breakfast, is to lay on the couch with my new pen and watch the first one.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

antelope19

I look forward to seeing what you all thought about the first movie....
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Caravan2001

Quote from: antelope19 on December 21, 2013, 12:54:36 PM
I really liked it.  I thought it was a bit campier than the LOTR trilogy, but it was shot really well and while I thought it could have been shortened some, it was an enjoyable movie.  I'm not going to attempt to compare it to the book.  In a nutshell, I found it to be somewhat of LOTR "lite" but that's not bad, I enjoyed it and will watch it again.  Also primed to see new one in the theatre now.  Let's hook it up Ikki when I get back from NYC if you can wait that long....

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on December 21, 2013, 01:43:42 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on December 21, 2013, 12:54:36 PM
I really liked it.  I thought it was a bit campier than the LOTR trilogy, but it was shot really well and while I thought it could have been shortened some, it was an enjoyable movie.  I'm not going to attempt to compare it to the book.  In a nutshell, I found it to be somewhat of LOTR "lite" but that's not bad, I enjoyed it and will watch it again.  Also primed to see new one in the theatre now.  Let's hook it up Ikki when I get back from NYC if you can wait that long....

Yeah I can wait, I'd like to see it at Cinetopia since they have the best theaters, but we can work that out.

emay

I thought the first one was a little dragged out.
Still havent seen the 2nd one yet. wanna catch the first again before I go see the second. is it on netflix?

antelope19

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on December 22, 2013, 04:59:14 PM
Still havent seen the 2nd one yet. wanna catch the first again before I go see the second. is it on netflix?

I don't think it's on Netflix.

I'm gonna go see this for a second time tomorrow.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Caravan2001

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on December 22, 2013, 04:59:14 PM

It's on HBO though, so maybe it is on HBO On Demand....I dropped $14 and bought it on itunes so I would own it.  Watched most of it again with my wife last night as she is a huge fan of the book and was jonesed I watched it without her on Friday.  I think I liked it better the second time.  There are parts they really could have shortened, but as my wife reasoned, not only does Peter Jackson want to make more movies (money), he is also probably such a huge fan of all of it that he is just unable to cut anything out.  I would imagine most die-hard fans feel the same way.  Looking forward to seeing the new one.