News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Purchasing a New HD

Started by zimbra, October 27, 2010, 06:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zimbra

My 500 gb WD just filled up, so I am in the market for a new external hard drive.  I haven't had to buy a HD in a few years so I am just curious about what the market is like now days.  I used to work at staples so I was always in the know but now I am not.  Any good bargains out there, brands not to buy, specs to look for, and so on...

I am looking for a 2TB if they aren't too pricey, a 1TB would do since I already have a 500 gb but why not go all out??

Thanks guys.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

ytowndan

I always go with Western Digital.  You can get a WD 2TB external for ~130 dollars, and ~80 dollars for a 1TB.  Shop around and find the best deal.  Try Newegg, they often have great prices.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Superfreakie

The relatively new 2 TB WD Elements rock. I have a couple now.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

twatts

I have a WD 2tb and 1tb drive, and just bought a 2tb Seagate...  All three work flawlessly...  My 500gb Maxtor is starting to show bad sectors, but its about 5years old...  Its getting DBANed and donated...

If you can, get something with USB3.0...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

zimbra

Yeah I was looking on 'froogle' last night and newegg seemed to be the cheapest. (i've always loved newegg.com)  I was thinking Western Digital to begin with since that's what I already have and have no trouble with it but then I liked the size and look of the new SeaGate....

Thanks for the help guys, probably looks like im going with the WD 2TB off newegg.com.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Caravan2001

Quote from: zimbra on October 27, 2010, 09:40:05 PM
Yeah I was looking on 'froogle' last night and newegg seemed to be the cheapest. (i've always loved newegg.com)  I was thinking Western Digital to begin with since that's what I already have and have no trouble with it but then I liked the size and look of the new SeaGate....

Thanks for the help guys, probably looks like im going with the WD 2TB off newegg.com.

I've been getting the WDMybooks from best buy for $99 for the 1TB, but at this point it seems like the 2TB has gotten cheap enough to bag the 1TB...the website price is cheaper than the store price, so if you go to the store you have to tell them to match the website price...the store will also match the price of any other place, so if you take the new egg price to best buy they will match it....I think best buy sucks ass, but it is by my job so it's convenient for me...and you'll save on time/shipping....

zimbra

Quote from: Caravan2001 on October 27, 2010, 09:50:36 PM
Quote from: zimbra on October 27, 2010, 09:40:05 PM

I've been getting the WDMybooks from best buy for $99 for the 1TB, but at this point it seems like the 2TB has gotten cheap enough to bag the 1TB...the website price is cheaper than the store price, so if you go to the store you have to tell them to match the website price...the store will also match the price of any other place, so if you take the new egg price to best buy they will match it....I think best buy sucks ass, but it is by my job so it's convenient for me...and you'll save on time/shipping....

Newegg.com offers free shipping on it as does amazon i believe... You work by the airport?
- Trey Anastasio

Caravan2001

twatts

I live down the street from what used to be Tiger Direct...  I got my 2TB Seagate there this past weekend for $150+/-... 

I've been looking at NewEgg for a new Desktop, but have been too poor latley to do anything...

Terry

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

VDB

I recently bought this MicroNet Fantome 2TB drive. Decent price and mostly favorable reviews. I got it for $146.49 delivered from Tiger Direct, looks like it's now $10 cheaper. Bastards.

I've only had it for about a month and a half but so far, no complaints.
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

Save your money, buy a Drobo.

ph92

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on October 27, 2010, 09:36:06 PM
I have a WD 2tb and 1tb drive, and just bought a 2tb Seagate...  All three work flawlessly...  My 500gb Maxtor is starting to show bad sectors, but its about 5years old...  Its getting DBANed and donated...

If you can, get something with USB3.0...

Terry

Thats what I did, I got a 2TB internal (WD green i think) and threw it in this case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817439005&cm_re=hornettek-_-17-439-005-_-Product

its a pretty nice case, fan is really quiet and the hard drive is easy to install, only complaint is the light on the front is pretty bright, but i have it turned to the side anyway so it doesnt matter
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

alcoholandcoffeebeans

a 2TB is going on my xmas list... mom's already askin'

so thanks for saving all the footwork with your input, everyone :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

zimbra

Well if i was stationary I would without a doubt but the cheaper internal drive and throw it in my desktop but im in Oregon atm and my tower is in Oklahoma(let my sister use it). 

Drobo would be nice but don't have the $$$
- Trey Anastasio