News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

"Secret" NYC Subway stop....

Started by G. Augusto, November 09, 2010, 06:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_newsroom/20101109/od_yblog_newsroom/a-secret-subway-stop

QuoteHidden deep under New York City, a "secret" subway stop is drawing visitors. The Big Apple's City Hall station, a beautiful structure that opened in 1904, but has been out of use for decades, can be seen by riders ... if they know how to make the journey. Check out these photos below, courtesy of John-Paul Palescandolo.

Jalopnik writes that if you want to check out this long-forgotten station, one of the "most gorgeous gems in the world of mass transit," you'll have to take the 6 train and then stay on board. Jalopnik elaborates, "The 6 train used to make all passengers leave the train at the Brooklyn Bridge stop, but no longer. If you have a little extra time, you can stay on the train and view the City Hall station as the train makes its turnaround."

So why was the station closed so many years ago? Motobullet explains that the station's curved tracks played a part in its closure. When subway cars moved their doors to the center, it "created an dangerous gap between the exit point on the train and the platform." There were plans to make the stop into a transit museum, but security concerns, especially following the events of 9/11/01, put the plan in limbo.

Now, though, folks who take a little extra time amid New York's hustle and bustle can spy the station with their own eyes.

Cool!

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

ph92

Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

rowjimmy

sophist

but does it have homeless people like the rest of NYC? 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

whatapiper

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 09, 2010, 08:06:40 PM
Sweet stuff.

not sure if the lady will be up for checking this stop out but it would make for some nice photography
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

sls.stormyrider

looks cool
need to visit next time in NYC
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

aphineday

Going to have to take a ride during the NYE run. Thanks for the post!
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: aphineday on November 10, 2010, 01:50:46 AM
Going to have to take a ride during the NYE run. Thanks for the post!

After-party on the 6 train  :beers: :smoke: :rawk: :crazy: :music: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the heads up, I pass the Brooklyn Bridge stop everyday on my commute to work. I will definitely make an effort to try and see the "secret" subway station.

StCarl

Missed this first time around.  PFC!
Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.

WillBreathes

That looks like where the Turtles stayed in the 2nd movie.

tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

Blaise

Quote from: WillBreathes on December 30, 2010, 11:30:20 AM
That looks like where the Turtles stayed in the 2nd movie.

that is so amazing

qop24

^^I see another chapter of WTU's epic adventures unfolding....
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

MeltMe

While I was stuck up in jersey for a few days after christmas, I decided to take my gf on a tour of nyc by subway.  Took her to my favorite pizza spot, my old school, she wanted to see rockerfeller center...and remembered this.  We were psyched to see this. 

We got to the last stop, the conductor let us stay on...started going around the turn and before we knew it were at the brooklyn bridge UPTOWN station. 

The tunnel was dark like any other subway tunnel I've ever seen.  There was nothing there.  The pics taken with the station being lit like that were not taken at a normal time.  I really thought we missed something and was kinda bummed but oh well. 

Last night I was googling and found out we weren't alone in what we saw.  Some people said the only way to see it lit up was with a guided tour from being a member of the MTA museum.   

:(
nothing i see can be taken from me...