News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Funny Star Wars Shit

Started by phil, November 10, 2010, 11:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Not funny but didn't know where the else to put this so fuck it.

My 6 yr old is finally becoming a functioning human being (barely) and she's asking for the Star Wars movies for Christmas. She's only seen the asshole version where Greedo shoots first and all the other bullshit that goes along with that. So I was going to just grab the newest release since it is a BR/DVD combo, but then I stumbled upon the original release in DVD which is 3x as much for a used copy as the BR combo (new versions of the original go for $240). And I'm so goddamned tempted...

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B001EN71DG/ref=tmm_dvd_title_5?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Hicks

Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 25, 2014, 10:02:32 PM

My 6 yr old is finally becoming a functioning human being (barely) and she's asking for the Star Wars movies for Christmas. She's only seen the asshole version where Greedo shoots first and all the other bullshit that goes along with that. So I was going to just grab the newest release since it is a BR/DVD combo, but then I stumbled upon the original release in DVD which is 3x as much for a used copy as the BR combo (new versions of the original go for $240). And I'm so goddamned tempted...

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B001EN71DG/ref=tmm_dvd_title_5?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Pretty sure the original versions were never released in a box like that. 

AFAIK the only time the original versions were released, besides on VHS, was in the individual 2 disc DVD sets that also contained the special edition versions. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

blatboom

yep, got those. thought I saw something about an eventual BR untouched original trilogy but that might have been a pipe dream

anyway this is what Hicks is talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two-Disc-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B000FQJAIW/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1416975877&sr=1-2&keywords=star+wars+dvd

blatboom

blatboom

although upon closer inspection while Ep IV can be got new for ~$25 via 3rd party, Eps V & VI are outrageous either through Amazon or 3rd parties. if you're not too proud to go used you can get them all relatively cheap. I mean they are DVDs after all

Hicks

Honestly that Project Blu thing looks like where it's at for now. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

blatboom

Quote from: Hicks on November 26, 2014, 12:30:32 AM
Honestly that Project Blu thing looks like where it's at for now.

had to google it but that's exactly the article I had read! idk though I'll believe it when I see it. in the meantime I think the individual DVD purchases is still plenty valid

mattstick

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on November 25, 2014, 10:17:52 PM

AFAIK the only time the original versions were released, besides on VHS, was in the individual 2 disc DVD sets that also contained the special edition versions.

Here's the Amazon review that appears at the top of every box set sold on Amazon. Now, this guy could be full of shit, but according to him, this set is the real deal.

This is just an alert since there seems to be some confusion about a trilogy release with the original unaltered versions along with the special editions vs a trilogy set that only contains the special editions and no copies of the original unaltered versions.

The reviews for both sets are merged together... that is why you are seeing people claim that it has the original unaltered versions, and people complaining they do not. THIS set that I specifically clicked on to make this comment on is on the 2004 release which DOES NOT CONTAIN THE ORIGINAL UNALTERED VERSIONS. The box image is silver and has Darth Vader's mask on the box. This set ONLY contains the SE along with a 4th bonus disc of making of features and trailers and a sneak peak at episode III. If you want the trilogy set that contains both the SE and the unaltered versions but no bonus features, make sure when purchasing from Amazon, that the picture is a picture of Darth Vader and Luke clashing with light sabers and the box has a lot of blue coloring. It also says IV V VI along the bottom. Scroll down to DVD info and it should say release date: 2008. THAT is the version you are looking for.

If you place an order on the Trilogy with the Silver box with Darth Vaders mask on it, you are going to get the 2004 release of the trilogy and that's probably not the one you want... This review is going to appear on both sets though... So make sure before you buy, that you are on the correct trilogy page. Check the picture. Check the release date.

There are plenty of reviews of the actual product so I'm not going to go into that. Just wanted to clear up some confusion.

anthrax

blatboom

Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 26, 2014, 09:26:48 AM
Here's the Amazon review that appears at the top of every box set sold on Amazon. Now, this guy could be full of shit, but according to him, this set is the real deal.

This is just an alert since there seems to be some confusion about a trilogy release with the original unaltered versions along with the special editions vs a trilogy set that only contains the special editions and no copies of the original unaltered versions.

The reviews for both sets are merged together... that is why you are seeing people claim that it has the original unaltered versions, and people complaining they do not. THIS set that I specifically clicked on to make this comment on is on the 2004 release which DOES NOT CONTAIN THE ORIGINAL UNALTERED VERSIONS. The box image is silver and has Darth Vader's mask on the box. This set ONLY contains the SE along with a 4th bonus disc of making of features and trailers and a sneak peak at episode III. If you want the trilogy set that contains both the SE and the unaltered versions but no bonus features, make sure when purchasing from Amazon, that the picture is a picture of Darth Vader and Luke clashing with light sabers and the box has a lot of blue coloring. It also says IV V VI along the bottom. Scroll down to DVD info and it should say release date: 2008. THAT is the version you are looking for.

If you place an order on the Trilogy with the Silver box with Darth Vaders mask on it, you are going to get the 2004 release of the trilogy and that's probably not the one you want... This review is going to appear on both sets though... So make sure before you buy, that you are on the correct trilogy page. Check the picture. Check the release date.

There are plenty of reviews of the actual product so I'm not going to go into that. Just wanted to clear up some confusion.

caveat emptor. from star wars wiki
QuoteAlthough fan reaction to the announcement of the DVDs was largely positive, upon release many fans felt that they had once again been cheated by George Lucas. The DVDs used non-anamorphic video sourced from the 1993 LaserDisc releases, which was nowhere near the same quality as the remastered versions of the films present in the 2004 boxset.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Original_unaltered_trilogy

although that's probably the case for the individually packaged titles as well. bottom line imo is if you want the originals in all their grainy glory I'd try to get them as cheaply as possible until they get the full blu ray treatment

Hicks

Quote from: Hicks on November 25, 2014, 10:17:52 PM

Ah, I stand corrected looks like they were repackaged for this 2008 box set.   

Still, the despecialized edition is higher quality. 

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: blatboom on November 26, 2014, 10:12:26 AM

caveat emptor. from star wars wiki
QuoteAlthough fan reaction to the announcement of the DVDs was largely positive, upon release many fans felt that they had once again been cheated by George Lucas. The DVDs used non-anamorphic video sourced from the 1993 LaserDisc releases, which was nowhere near the same quality as the remastered versions of the films present in the 2004 boxset.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Original_unaltered_trilogy

although that's probably the case for the individually packaged titles as well. bottom line imo is if you want the originals in all their grainy glory I'd try to get them as cheaply as possible until they get the full blu ray treatment

Thanks. Maybe I'll just grab the LaserDisc version.

For the record, no way am I actually going to pay that much for the set, but the added nonsense in the cantina and with Jabba really are pretty offensive.

Quote from: Bobafett on November 26, 2014, 11:04:51 AM
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2447416?lt_source=external,manual

Holy. Gold. Bikini.

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.