News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by cactusfan, December 07, 2010, 03:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph92

Quote from: emay on April 29, 2019, 11:08:22 AM
epic.
so what we got 2 more set up episodes and then 1 more battle for the throne ep?
You forgot the new season "5 stages of grief" after the last episode.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

VA $l!m

any1 else hear they are thinking of making a prequel series or something like that?
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

birdman

Quote from: VA $l!m on April 29, 2019, 03:34:06 PM
any1 else hear they are thinking of making a prequel series or something like that?
I read yesterday one of the writers said that they called off the prequels.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/one-of-the-game-of-thrones-spinoffs-has-been-cance/1100-6466519/
Paug FTMFW!

mbw

Episode was exciting and cool and whatnot, but I felt the lack of death of main character s pretty unbelievable.  Jaime, Hound, Brienne, etc were all on the front line against this giant horde that overran everything and they are all fine?  They were just fighting these massive swarms  1 on 1?  I dunno.  Also, Bran is the most insufferable character.  "I must go now...." to do absolutely nothing.

Lotta fun tho, whatever.

ETA:

rowjimmy

I loved it.
The greatest fighters in the land against mindless hordes. Their troop become fodder then they themselves mindless hordes.
Amazing.

Great finish.

Someone's gonna have a lot of sweeping up.

tet

just watched it last night - thanks, Trey...

first of all, that was the darkest show I've ever watched, from the standpoint of light.

anyway, if complaining about the lack of deaths here, I don't think people really remember the previous 7 seasons of GOT.  when we get major characters killed off, they happen suddenly and usually out-of-context, NOT usually in major battle scenes, of which we've had several in this show. quite a few were knocked off here: both Mormonts (and both were badass as usual), Edd, Theon...  so, we didn't get off scot-free, and I think most of those could be expected.  I also did expect Grey Worm to die following his retirement talk, and possibly Sansa down in the crypts because that was just the dumbest foreshadowing ever - figured headless-Ned would just eat her, or something - but otherwise, that was about what should have happened. 

hearing that they filmed for 55 straight nights in freezing temps just for this 1 episode is mind-blowing.  kudos to the cast & crew, because that was as epic as anything ever done in the name of entertainment.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mistercharlie

The first people to die in the Battle of Winterfell were the HBO lighting crew.  :mrgreen:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mbw

Quote from: tet on April 30, 2019, 09:24:16 AM
anyway, if complaining about the lack of deaths here, I don't think people really remember the previous 7 seasons of GOT.  when we get major characters killed off, they happen suddenly and usually out-of-context, NOT usually in major battle scenes, of which we've had several in this show. quite a few were knocked off here: both Mormonts (and both were badass as usual), Edd, Theon...  so, we didn't get off scot-free, and I think most of those could be expected.  I also did expect Grey Worm to die following his retirement talk, and possibly Sansa down in the crypts because that was just the dumbest foreshadowing ever - figured headless-Ned would just eat her, or something - but otherwise, that was about what should have happened. 

it's not that i wanted more characters to die, just that it is not believable that they didn't.

VA $l!m

yeah, about the lighting- really was the only downside for me. especially since my hbo app is 1080i and even though i have a 4k tv its not super high end so i have alot of black crush normally with my set.

Obviously overdark mass action scenes are a trick CGI has been using for years to limit the amount of detail needed  to process but in 2019 i thought we were passed that for super high budget productions like this. I mean, they never went this far dark in the past and i guess thats cause they never had to do a 90 minute show with that much action.
It was bearable though, and once the 1080p eps drop on PSN ill be buying this one first and then i think it'll feel better for me personally.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

pcr3

I have a good tv for dark scenes and a lot of this episode was difficult to make out.  My theory is that it saved them a shit-ton of money not having to create the level of detail in those scenes that would have been necessary if it was a daytime battle, especially when the dragons were flying in the dead's airspace.  That was dark, snowy, and windy as fuck.  You had a general idea that shit was happening, but nothing specific.  And it had to be cheaper to produce...
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

ytowndan

Honestly, I really dug the confusion of the darkness.  I think it made sense.  Facing the Night King and his army of the dead in the barely visible conditions of nighttime added to the whole vibe of the episode, which, to me, kinda felt like a horror movie with an epic battle.  And, as mentioned above, it totally saved them money, so that, no doubt, was part of it.  But, setting aside budget issues, it makes more sense from a narrative point of view, IMO.  This was way more of a murky "dead of the night" battle where one can't quite see what the hell is happening than a battle fought in the clarity and brightness of day. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

khalpin

Ask and you shall receive...

pcr3

Quote from: ytowndan on April 30, 2019, 02:37:44 PM
Honestly, I really dug the confusion of the darkness.  I think it made sense.  Facing the Night King and his army of the dead in the barely visible conditions of nighttime added to the whole vibe of the episode, which, to me, kinda felt like a horror movie with an epic battle.  And, as mentioned above, it totally saved them money, so that, no doubt, was part of it.  But, setting aside budget issues, it makes more sense from a narrative point of view, IMO.  This was way more of a murky "dead of the night" battle where one can't quite see what the hell is happening than a battle fought in the clarity and brightness of day.

I was fine with it from the fog of war perspective. I feel like we're conditioned to think of battle as colorful and clear like in the movies, whereas reality is probably far from that. I'm also glad I don't know what it's truly like...
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

mistercharlie

Quote from: khalpin on April 30, 2019, 06:36:04 PM
Ask and you shall receive...

That's insanely better! I want to watch the whole episode like that.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

I looked at a bit of that comparison... My screen at home was dark but not THAT dark.
Good god.