News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/04 - Blossom Music Ctr - Cuyahoga Falls, OH - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Undermind, June 04, 2011, 11:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

i was cleaning my bathroom while listening to some of set II, so admittedly just about anything would have sounded good, but i put on Steam through Hood and enojoyed the hell out of it.

aphineday

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 05, 2011, 07:18:30 PM
Wow.  That Piper is awesome.  It's so much better than most 3.0 pipers.  Kudos for them not making this one a rocker.  The length is very deceiving.
It's tough to figure out if you're being sarcastic or not. I for one (as I've said a lot) miss the days of the slow, building Piper intros. This actually does not suck towards the end, but had it been slower I would have loved it.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: aphineday on June 05, 2011, 07:33:41 PM
Wow.  That Piper is awesome.  It's so much better than most 3.0 pipers.  Kudos for them not making this one a rocker.  The length is very deceiving.
It's tough to figure out if you're being sarcastic or not. I for one (as I've said a lot) miss the days of the slow, building Piper intros. This actually does not suck towards the end, but had it been slower I would have loved it.

I'm not being sarcastic.  Piper hasn't had a good building up in years.  I agree the opening i not as good as it could be, but this piper is unique and awesome.  The space they find in the jam was enjoyable for me to listen to.  I'm sure I would have enjoyed it at the show.

aphineday

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 05, 2011, 07:35:31 PM
Quote from: aphineday on June 05, 2011, 07:33:41 PM

I'm not being sarcastic.  Piper hasn't had a good building up in years.  I agree the opening i not as good as it could be, but this piper is unique and awesome.  The space they find in the jam was enjoyable for me to listen to.  I'm sure I would have enjoyed it at the show.
Yeah, I really like most of the 2nd set actually. Had I been there, I'd probably be bumping the PHISH IS FUCKING BACK thread ;)
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

fauxpaxfauxreal

I kinda think the Sally jam is worthless.  Kinda cool to see live I'm sure, not worth listening to again, imo.

anthrax

Just got back home from Blossom.  This was a rare one and done for me...no Detroit, no Cincy.  It was a decent amount of effort and money for 1 show, and I have to admit that it was 100% worth it.  The first set was good.  Very 3.0-ish.  FYF, Rocket, and Guyute were fun based purely on song selection that I wanted to hear.  Antelope is always welcomed.

This second set was hot.  I really enjoyed it.  The end of Possum set the tone for dark/odd/unpredictable jams.  It wasn't super tight, but we were digging the unpredictablilty, and that's what made the set one of the best I've seen in awhile.  I thought Hood was going to end it, again the curve ball into Have Mercy was sweet.  I had chills when they dropped back into Hood.

It could be because I was there, but Blossom set 2 gets my vote for the best set of summer so far...by a long shot.  It appears the band is (very) slowly gaining steam (no pun intended.)  Last night was a big step in the right direction, which makes me super excited for my little SE run coming up. 

susep

First set was mostly meh for this listener until the Antelope, smoking version w/ some nice modulations.  Steam is a nice surprise w/ great jam potential, my brief review:
Steam - slight Medeski vibe esp. Page, subway steam, loop/siren nostalgia, lets hope they take this one out.  Ghost of 3.0?  nice Page effect underneath Trey, back into Scofield/MMW esque groove, subterranean Phish/trippy jam into >

Piper - more of Page's trippy effect before he jumps onto the ivories, jam lifts off early, 
nice jam into ambient waters, beautiful improv, very colorful, Trey teasing something? can't place it, he sounds so much better this tour, virtually no whale w/ a creative, dynamic feel, short but beautiful jam into

Lizards - break.

Sally - nice funk groove coming out of the vocal scat, Mike sounds like he's popping balloons w/ his bass tone/effect, jam goes into a heavier vamp, heavy metal love supreme, Tower esque free jam, Page sounding trippy w/ his Leslie, switching back to his now classic 3.0 "the Aliens are coming!" keyboard style, Trey w/ a muddy, industrial loop underneath, into

Hood/rest of set was executed well but didn't feature any music that caught my attention.  overall props goes to Antelope, Steam > Piper and Sally. 

PIE-GUY

Have not listened to the whole show yet... just listened to Steam a couple of times to hear the first new tune in a while... I hate to say this, but I agree with Sophist. Meh at best.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

G. Augusto

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 05, 2011, 10:15:05 PM
Have not listened to the whole show yet... just listened to Steam a couple of times to hear the first new tune in a while... I hate to say this, but I agree with Sophist. Meh at best.

Did you try spinning around and drinking?
Makes it much better.
HEY YO!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: G. Augusto on June 05, 2011, 10:24:54 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 05, 2011, 10:15:05 PM

Did you try spinning around and drinking?
Makes it much better.
HEY YO!

Oops... did I spill beer all over you? Sorry 'bout that. I don't know why you are trying to navigate this isle in the middle of this sick new jam.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Let me add my voice of approval for this Piper. Yes, a nice long intro would have been welcome. Some rage following the lyrics before it wound down, sure, would not have been a bad thing.

But not five minutes into the song they had already developed a rather unique and melodic jam (nice work from Page especially), and the nice slide into Lizards doesn't sound abrupt or like an abortion at all. The jam isn't a 20-minute excursion, but it's interesting nonetheless and after a short while they simply decided to play a new song. One can't really complain, unless it's strictly about the duration. Also, Trey and Mike managed to weave some playful Reba teases in there during minute six (I believe it was, on the LP SBD).
Is this still Wombat?

cactusfan

i listened to set 2 again today, and i like it.
the piper is sadly short, but if you think of it as simply a long weird Lizards intro, it's rather nice.

WillBreathes

tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

VDB

Quote from: cactusfan on June 06, 2011, 10:40:11 PM
i listened to set 2 again today, and i like it.
the piper is sadly short, but if you think of it as simply a long weird Lizards intro, it's rather nice.

Now that's the positive spirit!
Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

Re-listened to set II tonight. I dig the odd Possum; Steam is a good new song, Trey seems a little unsure of the vocals at times and I bet they'll get better as it get's more play; Piper is a little bit better than most other 3.0 pipers; Lizards is a 3.0 lizards; Sally is very fun and enjoyable Hood is sweet and the Have Mercy sandwich is great; even Zero is decent.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.