News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/04 - Blossom Music Ctr - Cuyahoga Falls, OH - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Undermind, June 04, 2011, 11:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on June 08, 2011, 09:46:55 AM
Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on June 08, 2011, 09:31:29 AM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 07, 2011, 09:57:00 PM
Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on June 07, 2011, 05:18:48 PM
I personally think one of the reason's Trey's playing is not to 1.0 or 2.0 levels is because 3.0 Trey is now a recovering drug addict.

I treat Trey and Phish, the way I treat my younger sister, she might be a 30 year old who can no longer do the simple things she could do as a child, but she and Trey are alive and healthy and I wouldn't trade that for the world.

Absolutely 100% on-the-money.  It can be stated no other way.  I'm 25, a recovering opiate addict, and I tell you...... making sure I have gas in my car, getting up early enough to show and shave, having food in the fridge, money in my wallet, and getting to work on time take up ALL of my fucking energy.  I fucking hate it.  It sucks so badly.  I don't get why, and no matter what I do, it never gets any easier.  Its a struggle just to keep myself in presentable condition, let alone manage the courseload of a Bachelors degree, a full-time internship, getting a full-time job, getting to doctors appointments, doing homework, cleaning the litter box, going shopping.........  its fucking, I don't understand how some people do so much shit. 

Its fucking a challenge for me to get ANYWHERE on time.  Whenever I'm about to leave for somewhere, I always start getting this fucking panicky feeling like I forgot something, and I have to go back and look through the house to make sure I didn't fucking leave the heat on, or left the catfood box open, or left the bathroom light on.  Its SO fucking annoying. 

And it always fucks me up, because I want to be normal, but I can't do it.  I always screw it up.  I just failed college, basically; I'm not graduating.  I'm 5 classes short, but after my grandfather died, my best friend since kindergarten shot himself, then my parents splitting up, then Kyle's dad dying, then having to call the police on my mom, and then having to put my grandmother in a nursing home (which resulted in my mother's side of the family imploding), then having my dad start going out with some woman on the other side of the country, then him spending $27,494.39 in 6 months (i saw his Discover card statement..........) on their vacations and trips and now he's marrying her and moving her out here into our house, the house that my MOM's father built, and have that ALL happening between in less than 6 months is well, ha.  Yeah, my life is in shambles.  I think about killing myself all the time, just because of the result in would achieve in not having to deal with shit anymore.  And losing U-Melt last fall...........  that hurts, a lot.

And yet, we have Phish.  Phish makes me feel good, without drugs.  I pump the 6/23/04 Noblesville jam in my car, and I feel like I just shot up an ounce of meth.  I'm ready, I get the jam-tingle and I fucking FEEL IT.  I have a feeling tomorrow night will be my last show, and I'm hoping the Darien magic rears its head once more, one last time, to continue my great-streak of seeing 3.0 Phish (bustouts galore, kick-downs, epic jams, NO TTE's).

So, I'm not sure what I'm talking about anymore, I'm gonna go try to cool off this apartment while annoying the neighbors with my excessively loud, ghetto-style (open windows with speakers in them) blasting of the 7/4/00 Set II.

WOW Gumbo! Stay strong, that's a lot for anyone to deal with all at once.

{[VIBES]}

x infinity

f'real. Hang in there G, I'm sure better times are around the bend.
Is this still Wombat?

gah

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on June 08, 2011, 10:47:09 AM
Quote from: UncleEbinezer on June 08, 2011, 09:46:55 AM
Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on June 08, 2011, 09:31:29 AM
Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on June 07, 2011, 05:18:48 PM
I personally think one of the reason's Trey's playing is not to 1.0 or 2.0 levels is because 3.0 Trey is now a recovering drug addict.

I treat Trey and Phish, the way I treat my younger sister, she might be a 30 year old who can no longer do the simple things she could do as a child, but she and Trey are alive and healthy and I wouldn't trade that for the world.

Absolutely 100% on-the-money.  It can be stated no other way.  I'm 25, a recovering opiate addict, and I tell you...... making sure I have gas in my car, getting up early enough to show and shave, having food in the fridge, money in my wallet, and getting to work on time take up ALL of my fucking energy.  I fucking hate it.  It sucks so badly.  I don't get why, and no matter what I do, it never gets any easier.  Its a struggle just to keep myself in presentable condition, let alone manage the courseload of a Bachelors degree, a full-time internship, getting a full-time job, getting to doctors appointments, doing homework, cleaning the litter box, going shopping.........  its fucking, I don't understand how some people do so much shit. 

Its fucking a challenge for me to get ANYWHERE on time.  Whenever I'm about to leave for somewhere, I always start getting this fucking panicky feeling like I forgot something, and I have to go back and look through the house to make sure I didn't fucking leave the heat on, or left the catfood box open, or left the bathroom light on.  Its SO fucking annoying. 

And it always fucks me up, because I want to be normal, but I can't do it.  I always screw it up.  I just failed college, basically; I'm not graduating.  I'm 5 classes short, but after my grandfather died, my best friend since kindergarten shot himself, then my parents splitting up, then Kyle's dad dying, then having to call the police on my mom, and then having to put my grandmother in a nursing home (which resulted in my mother's side of the family imploding), then having my dad start going out with some woman on the other side of the country, then him spending $27,494.39 in 6 months (i saw his Discover card statement..........) on their vacations and trips and now he's marrying her and moving her out here into our house, the house that my MOM's father built, and have that ALL happening between in less than 6 months is well, ha.  Yeah, my life is in shambles.  I think about killing myself all the time, just because of the result in would achieve in not having to deal with shit anymore.  And losing U-Melt last fall...........  that hurts, a lot.

And yet, we have Phish.  Phish makes me feel good, without drugs.  I pump the 6/23/04 Noblesville jam in my car, and I feel like I just shot up an ounce of meth.  I'm ready, I get the jam-tingle and I fucking FEEL IT.  I have a feeling tomorrow night will be my last show, and I'm hoping the Darien magic rears its head once more, one last time, to continue my great-streak of seeing 3.0 Phish (bustouts galore, kick-downs, epic jams, NO TTE's).

So, I'm not sure what I'm talking about anymore, I'm gonna go try to cool off this apartment while annoying the neighbors with my excessively loud, ghetto-style (open windows with speakers in them) blasting of the 7/4/00 Set II.

WOW Gumbo! Stay strong, that's a lot for anyone to deal with all at once.

{[VIBES]}

x infinity

f'real. Hang in there G, I'm sure better times are around the bend.

Yeah gumbo, don't try and carry all that around yourself. Life is way to heavy to deal with alone, remember you've always got this community to lean on. Here's to hoping you have a kick ass show tonight!  :beerbang:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

anthrax

And it always fucks me up, because I want to be normal, but I can't do it.  I always screw it up. 

Heavy shit, for sure, but there is good news.  You can "be normal."  The drugs damaged your brain, but the great news is the brain loves to repair itself.  It'll take time, but things will come easier.  There are things that will speed up this healing process too.  I'd recommend researching it...obviously stay away from drugs, and limit booze, cigs, caffeine.  Also there are a ton of things that are great for the brain...water, blueberries, picking up a fine motor skill hobby (like learning guitar.)  It sounds like you've been through a lot, so keep rocking out the Phish and keep moving forward! 

aphineday

First of all Gumbo, I don't know you at all, but you're definitely amongst friends here. Please don't hesitate to shout, even if you just need someone to listen. Stay strong, brotha man.

Secondly, I'm on my 3rd listen here (and I'm probably going to catch some hate for this, but this Antelope is good stuff). Minus the Streets of Cairo tease (which is a little old), I honestly can't see how you don't some goodness here... It's not 1.0, but it's certainly one of my favorite 'Lopes from 3.0.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

spaced

Quote from: aphineday on June 09, 2011, 03:38:39 PM
First of all Gumbo, I don't know you at all, but you're definitely amongst friends here. Please don't hesitate to shout, even if you just need someone to listen. Stay strong, brotha man.

Secondly, I'm on my 3rd listen here (and I'm probably going to catch some hate for this, but this Antelope is good stuff). Minus the Streets of Cairo tease (which is a little old), I honestly can't see how you don't some goodness here... It's not 1.0, but it's certainly one of my favorite 'Lopes from 3.0.

Ditto on both counts. Gumbo, I don't know you either, but as someone who just recently went through a very rough couple of years myself, I just wanted to say keep your head up, things will get better eventually, as trite as that sounds. Even if your problems seem like the sort of thing you can't do anything to solve, eventually life's inertia will often change things for the better if you just keep your head up and try to maintain perspective, as hard as that may be sometimes. Hopefully that didn't sound too motivational-speaker-ish, but it's been true in my experience.

As for the 'lope, I was just listening to this yesterday and thinking the same thing. I haven't been a fan of 3.0 antelopes, but this one gets it done IMO. Anyone else catch the While My Guitar Gently Weeps tease at around 6 minutes or so?

Poster Nutbag

I think this new song is pretty awesome, definitely among the better new tunes of 3.0... It's lyrical sound IMO, it actually has some depth to it...

STEAM:
there is the tower
like a solitary flower
standing in the snow
as the wolves all wait below
and you're walking on the ledge
throwing breadcrusts off the edge
as you sing in voice so clear
and my name I think I hear
concealed within the theme
then it disappears as steam

and I'm standing far below
watching wolves you seem to know
as your voice still carries on
in your never-ending song
and my blood begins to boil
and my bones melt into oil
hissing liquid in the snow
as my body sinks below
and a ripple sends a beam
of sunlight dancing through the steam

my now unfettered soul
has direction I control
to your tower I draw near
but do I see a trace of fear?
the approaching sound of hooves
now scatters all the wolves
you briefly watch the horseman ride
then you quickly run inside
the rider's weapons gleam
while the horse's nostrils steam

there's no time to reflect, who
is this man? I must protect you
in the rider's hand I see
he holds your prison's only key
he glances up and glares
and then he starts to climb the stairs
I can tell you're terrified
so I quickly go inside
but then I hear a fateful scream
and your soul joins mine as steam

we escaped the dreadful night
and as lovers soared in flight
blissful weeks turned into seasons
but one day without a reason
or goodbye you flew below
back to the animals you know
now you forever sing your song
with the wolves where you belong
now quite alone I often dream
I hear you singing through the steam
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

gah

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on June 10, 2011, 07:21:26 PM
I think this new song is pretty awesome, definitely among the better new tunes of 3.0... It's lyrical sound IMO, it actually has some depth to it...

Yeah, I was just coming in here to post, I just started set 2 and this started, and I was like, damn, what's this? Oh yeah the new tune....definitely digging it, and getting better with each listen. Like I said earlier, I'm excited to see this one develop. Such a chill laid back vibe to it....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

ph92

Quote from: goodabouthood on June 11, 2011, 09:44:50 AM
Quote from: Poster Nutbag on June 10, 2011, 07:21:26 PM

Yeah, I was just coming in here to post, I just started set 2 and this started, and I was like, damn, what's this? Oh yeah the new tune....definitely digging it, and getting better with each listen. Like I said earlier, I'm excited to see this one develop. Such a chill laid back vibe to it....
Definitely, I was going crazy cause I didnt know what it was when I was there. But I wanna see where it goes. But it was weird, people were singing along with it in the crowd... ??? Has TAB or another solo project played this before or something?

But out of the 3 midwest shows (Det>cleveland>cinci) This might be the weakest show musically, but it was defininitely one of the best because of the energy and the experience. But my highlights were FYF, Lope, Steam, Lizards, Hood>have Mercy>Hood and Char 0 and Slave as always.

And Gumbo, I know I'm young and shit, but keep your head up, life seems like it has ways of suprising you and it cycles through the high and low points. Also I'm glad I hooked you up with that ticket! I didn't realize that might have been your last. I hope you had alot of fun the other day :beers:
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

aphineday

ph92

Quote from: aphineday on June 11, 2011, 11:17:31 AM
You think it was weaker than Cinci??
In some aspects yes. I'm gonna give them both a relisten soon, cause I'm going off being there and the few songs I snagged for when we were on the road to the next show... I could be totally off though. I just liked cinci alot because of all the songs I hadn't gotten hear such as tweezer+prise, c&p, boogie on, yem, free, reba, mound (one of my absolute favorite composed songs), lawn boy and AC/DC Bag.

But there is a good chance I might be totally wrong cause I do remember there weren't as many highlights for cinci jams wise
Make America Melt Again!

fauxpaxfauxreal

aphineday

Interesting. I'll re listen. Just thinking back to Blossom, I loved the 'lope and possum, which I still have a desire to replay. Nothing from Cinci really stuck out as something I'd be replaying much.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: aphineday on June 11, 2011, 05:10:26 PM
Interesting. I'll re listen. Just thinking back to Blossom, I loved the 'lope and possum, which I still have a desire to replay. Nothing from Cinci really stuck out as something I'd be replaying much.

I deleted this show without ever listening to it again.

I think I listened to Cincy twice and still haven't deleted it yet.  That is my basis for comparison.

zimbra

"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

ph92

Quote from: phishhead92 on June 11, 2011, 11:28:30 AM
Quote from: aphineday on June 11, 2011, 11:17:31 AM
You think it was weaker than Cinci??
In some aspects yes. I'm gonna give them both a relisten soon, cause I'm going off being there and the few songs I snagged for when we were on the road to the next show... I could be totally off though. I just liked cinci alot because of all the songs I hadn't gotten hear such as tweezer+prise, c&p, boogie on, yem, free, reba, mound (one of my absolute favorite composed songs), lawn boy and AC/DC Bag.

But there is a good chance I might be totally wrong cause I do remember there weren't as many highlights for cinci jams wise
K so I re listened. I think the reason I liked cinci more was definitely the setlist. The playing is better for Blossom imo. JAMMMZZZZ
Make America Melt Again!