News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/15 - VWA at Encore Park - Alpharetta, GA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, June 15, 2011, 11:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPhishman

Burmesepython makes a solid appearance on that vid fist-pumping and screaming to the overhead cam.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

spaced

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 17, 2011, 03:06:06 PM
Hopefully, the onslaught of HATE regarding the ATL shows will trickle back to the band and they'll make some choices as to what to do next. Trey took the hint and put the whale to bed (mostly). Maybe he'll do it again... but I'd hate to be in his shoes taking criticism to heart at this point in his career.

PG speaks the truth, as usual.

But I do have to say this: as a certified n00b who's still really dissatisfied with the current state of 3.0, I actually kind of dread this sort of mentality of "well, the fans are complaining about our current style, so lets do what they want."

If they started playing 5-song second sets purely because that's what the people like me want, it's not going to result in real, quality shows. That sort of Phish-by-committee might produce better results than the status quo, but it's not a recipe for long-term artistic health of the band. Sure, I want Phish to jam more, but I want PHISH TO WANT to jam more. I want them to be inspired to play new and interesting music. If the only reason they are jamming things out is because their paying customers complained, well, that's pretty much the definition of "nostalgia act," ain't it?

rowjimmy

Quote from: G. Augusto on June 17, 2011, 05:13:57 PM
Also, you might get an Acoustic Army at almost every show, but you were almost guaranteed something EPIC in that same show.
Now, you just get the same old shit night after night with only EPIC FAILS.

Right.

They played Tweezer on the regs but it was never a regular old Tweezer.

JPhishman

OK so I couldn't help myself and had to listen back to a few tracks from this show on the flight to Denver this evening. and I gotta say, I was really rockin out in my seat during Tweezer>Julius. I realize it is a "standard version", but whatever... those songs are awesome, and well played. Lack of exploration is disappointing in general, but the standard these guys are held to is crazy. Bottom line for me is there's no denying I just fucking love Phish songs and the sound of these guys playing together, standard versions or not. Trey and Mike's lines weaving around each other is something that will always make me happy.

:phish:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

aphineday

Wow, this has been a great thread. It took me a while to read and get caught up, but there have been some great arguments, and some that I disagree with as well.
The repeating of songs does get old for me, but would seemingly be much less stale if it wasn't the exact same shit every night. It's really a creativity issue that I have a problem with (as many have said before in this thread).
Why the hate though? Why can't I just accept 3.0 in their current state, and try to enjoy it as much as I can? Well, I do. For the most part. There have been some good moments with 3.0, but over all it has been a huge let down. I'm getting ready for a big drive to Superball here in a couple weeks. Because it's summer tour, I've been in a Phish mood lately. As I was driving last night, I tossed on some 2.0 from 7.25.03 Charlotte. This Harry Hood is insane. After finishing it, I honestly had to question how much I want to go to Superball, because I know I won't get this.
So yeah, I get a little bent out of shape when Trey refuses night after night to let anything develop.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Undermind

Quote from: aphineday on June 18, 2011, 12:31:21 PM
Wow, this has been a great thread. It took me a while to read and get caught up, but there have been some great arguments, and some that I disagree with as well.
The repeating of songs does get old for me, but would seemingly be much less stale if it wasn't the exact same shit every night. It's really a creativity issue that I have a problem with (as many have said before in this thread).
Why the hate though? Why can't I just accept 3.0 in their current state, and try to enjoy it as much as I can? Well, I do. For the most part. There have been some good moments with 3.0, but over all it has been a huge let down. I'm getting ready for a big drive to Superball here in a couple weeks. Because it's summer tour, I've been in a Phish mood lately. As I was driving last night, I tossed on some 2.0 from 7.25.03 Charlotte. This Harry Hood is insane. After finishing it, I honestly had to question how much I want to go to Superball, because I know I won't get this.
So yeah, I get a little bent out of shape when Trey refuses night after night to let anything develop.
Have you heard last night's RnR and Ghost yet?
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

aphineday

Quote from: Undermind on June 18, 2011, 12:35:45 PM
Negative, on Wolfman's right now. Doing a little house work, and gearing up for a run. Should be through it by the end of my run though. Should I actually be excited?!
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Undermind

Quote from: aphineday on June 18, 2011, 12:41:58 PM
Negative, on Wolfman's right now. Doing a little house work, and gearing up for a run. Should be through it by the end of my run though. Should I actually be excited?!
Yup.  No ripcord action that's for sure.  Very naturally progressing jams imo.
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

G. Augusto

Not really.
Choo choo-type stuff.

Undermind

Quote from: G. Augusto on June 18, 2011, 12:44:32 PM

Not really.
Choo choo-type stuff.
really?  You are the haterest hater of them all Aug! :wink:  Most haters even like them.

bacchist

Some of the stuff is listenable... You're just going to be disappointed if you get excited. Not the worst, but a far cry from even an average show from the pre-hiatus days.
Rebuilding...

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: G. Augusto on June 17, 2011, 05:00:02 PM
So...you're saying you have a problem with Scott?  :wink:
I heard the worse 3.0 show he saw was better than any show from any other band....FACT.

Fact.  Can you please show me a current band who is a better live act?

I mean, if I found one I would be following them around and not Phish.... but I haven't.  And I see a ton of live music....

Radiohead is the only band I have yet to see who I could potentially see being better.  I've seen the majority of other bands people seem to rave about here and am usually left un-amazed... FACT.  Akron/Family is the only recent band I've seen who has blown me away.... but was it as good as a Phish concert? LOL.
Bring in the dude!

G. Augusto

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on June 21, 2011, 03:35:32 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on June 17, 2011, 05:00:02 PM
So...you're saying you have a problem with Scott?  :wink:
I heard the worse 3.0 show he saw was better than any show from any other band....FACT.

Fact.  Can you please show me a current band who is better live act?

I mean, if I found one I would be following them around and not Phish.... but I haven't.  And I see a ton of live music....

Radiohead is the only band I have yet to see who I could potentially see being better.  I've seen the majority of other bands people seem to rave about here and am usually left un-amazed... FACT.  Akron/Family is the only recent band I've seen who blew me away.... but was it as good as a Phish concert? LOL.

But that's the difference.
I've pretty much come to hate the Phish scene now.
Why would I want to see multiple shows and deal with the scene inside and outside the venue?
That is one small part of it, aside from the music not doing it for me.

I've seen three other shows this year (LCD, Akron and Iron & Wine) and I had a much better time at all than I did at any show last year.
I guess it's easier going into these shows without expectations, tho.

rowjimmy

I enjoyed the Akron/Family shows that I saw this Spring more than the Phish show.
Energy was easily as high and the creativity was 10x what Phish brought.

sophist

I thought the Fleet Foxes show I saw this year was way better than anything Phish has done that I've seen in 3.0
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!