News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

some thoughts

Started by Gumbo72203, July 05, 2011, 10:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qop24

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on July 06, 2011, 03:54:40 PM
Quote from: batleon on July 06, 2011, 03:44:40 PM
DMB

DMB went to crap once they got too big for Trax...

Terry

:clap:

You from cville or just know the venue?
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

batleon

I should've left DMB out of this.  I understand if I've lost all credibility. Carry on.

aphineday

Wow, reading this has really been eye-opening to me. I'll second all the civility, and stuff, but I honestly hope that's how every thread is. We have no need to bash and personally attack each other, this is an open discussion about a band we love.

As to the points made, I think that WTU and CactusFan are pretty on target with what they are perceiving. I agree with you guys, the band might not be listening to banter as much during songs, etc, but they definitely have a reaction when they play something like TTE, and then hear the reaction (or lack thereof). So now, when they get all rock-peaky without as much exploration on a Zero, and the place still goes bat shit crazy, they have to be thinking *AT LEAST SOMEWHAT* "They love it!".

Speaking to CactusFan's assessment of people walking out for piss breaks/beer/getting bored in 1.0, I definitely get it. I totally remember, and I guess it just seems such more prevalent to me now than it did then. Maybe I'm just a jaded dude that is being way too selfish. (Very good probability).

One of the best things I have read was also from CactusFan about wanting newbs to like Phish. (Sorry, too lazy to quote here, I wanted to get this down while it was fresh). I ABSOLUTELY want as many people as exposed to this as I can. If someone gets their rocks off during a 5 minute Sample, then good for them. I need to adopt this attitude a lot more, and stop being so selfish. Thanks for that, it really brought that to the forefront of my mind.

(B)All things reconsidered, I had an INSANE time this weekend, and I love this band. I don't plan on ceasing to love this band or go to shows. I also don't plan to hate anyone for their view of the band, and love debating all of our feelings.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

rowjimmy

Quote from: batleon on July 06, 2011, 04:06:14 PM
I should've left DMB out of this.  I understand if I've lost all credibility. Carry on.
:clap:

twatts

LOL!  I was just pointing out that its all about "perspective"...  For me, DMB was about Trax, cheap beer, and all the Sorostitutes you could eat...  Once they got "big", DMB lost its appeal, at least to me...  A crap-ton of other people feel entirely different, as evidenced by his sold-out stadium shows...

Quote from: qop24 on July 06, 2011, 03:57:28 PM

I went to UVA from 1990-1994... 

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

G. Augusto

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 06, 2011, 12:28:12 PM
Listen to Peaches. They clearly rehearsed that one for us!!

That surely was nice of them!
A professional live act rehearsing songs?!  :roll:

qop24

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on July 06, 2011, 04:26:24 PM

LOL!  I was just pointing out that its all about "perspective"...  For me, DMB was about Trax, cheap beer, and all the Sorostitutes you could eat...  Once they got "big", DMB lost its appeal, at least to me...  A crap-ton of other people feel entirely different, as evidenced by his sold-out stadium shows...

Quote from: qop24 on July 06, 2011, 03:57:28 PM

I went to UVA from 1990-1994... 

Terry

Sweet

notkuroda

I don't understand why some of you have such a problem that people are enjoying Phish right now. Shit, most of the people I've met in 3.0 are in there 30's, with jobs, families, and real world responsibilities. They're not n00bs, they've been seeing Phish since the early 90's. Sure we talk about the music, sure we like to analyze, but we're still following our favorite band. Not because they are the best thing out there, or they filled a void left by someone else, or because they expect something to happen. They're just along for the ride, because they, like me, get something so deep and meaningful out of Phish shows that everything else just pales in comparison. Even though we go to see some amazing live music, it's just not phish. I mean shit, I went through this whole "they're not my band anymore" thing back in 98. And I'm happy to admit I'm having more fun with Phish right now then any time after that. Part of it is I have a great crew, part of it's the fact that my wife has gotten as obsessed as me, part of it's that I'm at a better place in my life right now then I've ever been. And so are the 4 guys onstage, who have had more influence over my life than anyone short of my parents, my kids, and my lady. I don't ever expect Phish to peak again, or get close to the level they were from 93-97. But I'm fine with that. It's not sustainable. So here we've got a guy who is fighting through the rock star cliche of getting slayed by the dragon.There's a million reasons I love Phish, and probably 90% of it is still there. So what gumbo70whatthefuckever? Is it ok? Are you shaking your head in disappointment again? Because I don't GET IT? Please. There's thousands of people out there who have been deeply touched by this band, for many different reasons, and from many different eras. I love talking to people about Phish, especially hearing where they are coming from and how they got into the band. You might want to talk to some more people and learn something, because this message board represents .000001% of that crowd. Don't fucking tell someone they don't get it because they're into it for different reasons you are. It's MUSIC. It's supposed hit people in different ways, and when it hits, it's supposed to feel ok. Jams are great. So are bluegrass tunes. So are reggae tunes. So are songs that get played the same way everytime, because they're GREAT SONGS. So is dancing. So is rocking. So is enjoying a beautiful Divided Sky on a beautiful day. So are people who travel across the country for the love of music. If all you can concentrate on is what's NOT there, I feel sorry for you. Personally I'll focus on what IS happening. And I like it a lot. If you think that makes me a n00b, or you think I don't know anything about music, then meet me in person and we'll find out how stupid you really are.
And I don't have any idea where their heads are at and why they make the decisions they do. They're fucking geniuses. They've been friends for what, 25+ years? They are musicians who created an amazing thing. And I know for certain they care about that a lot, and are doing what they can to include EVERYBODY in the ride. Because they think it's bigger then them. Sorry if that pisses you off. Boo-hoo

qop24

Quote from: notkuroda on July 06, 2011, 04:38:28 PM
Personally I'll focus on what IS happening.

This is the most important part - much like what WTU said about accepting them as they are - and what I was getting at with my noob-confession of going into shows with a clean slate in '09

rowjimmy

I don't understand why some of you have such a problem that people are enjoying Phish right now.   
(blah snipped)
Sorry if that pisses you off. Boo-hoo

Way to bring down the
Level of discourse in here
Try reading the thread

G. Augusto

Quote from: qop24 on July 06, 2011, 04:45:04 PM
Personally I'll focus on what IS happening.

This is the most important part - much like what WTU said about accepting them as they are - and what I was getting at with my noob-confession of going into shows with a clean slate in '09

I think this is exactly what I don't like about the band right now.

Hicks

I don't understand why some of you have such a problem that people are enjoying Phish right now. Shit, most of the people I've met in 3.0 are in there 30's, with jobs, families, and real world responsibilities. They're not n00bs, they've been seeing Phish since the early 90's. Sure we talk about the music, sure we like to analyze, but we're still following our favorite band. Not because they are the best thing out there, or they filled a void left by someone else, or because they expect something to happen. They're just along for the ride, because they, like me, get something so deep and meaningful out of Phish shows that everything else just pales in comparison. Even though we go to see some amazing live music, it's just not phish. I mean shit, I went through this whole "they're not my band anymore" thing back in 98. And I'm happy to admit I'm having more fun with Phish right now then any time after that. Part of it is I have a great crew, part of it's the fact that my wife has gotten as obsessed as me, part of it's that I'm at a better place in my life right now then I've ever been. And so are the 4 guys onstage, who have had more influence over my life than anyone short of my parents, my kids, and my lady. I don't ever expect Phish to peak again, or get close to the level they were from 93-97. But I'm fine with that. It's not sustainable. So here we've got a guy who is fighting through the rock star cliche of getting slayed by the dragon.There's a million reasons I love Phish, and probably 90% of it is still there. So what gumbo70whatthefuckever? Is it ok? Are you shaking your head in disappointment again? Because I don't GET IT? Please. There's thousands of people out there who have been deeply touched by this band, for many different reasons, and from many different eras. I love talking to people about Phish, especially hearing where they are coming from and how they got into the band. You might want to talk to some more people and learn something, because this message board represents .000001% of that crowd. Don't fucking tell someone they don't get it because they're into it for different reasons you are. It's MUSIC. It's supposed hit people in different ways, and when it hits, it's supposed to feel ok. Jams are great. So are bluegrass tunes. So are reggae tunes. So are songs that get played the same way everytime, because they're GREAT SONGS. So is dancing. So is rocking. So is enjoying a beautiful Divided Sky on a beautiful day. So are people who travel across the country for the love of music. If all you can concentrate on is what's NOT there, I feel sorry for you. Personally I'll focus on what IS happening. And I like it a lot. If you think that makes me a n00b, or you think I don't know anything about music, then meet me in person and we'll find out how stupid you really are.
And I don't have any idea where their heads are at and why they make the decisions they do. They're fucking geniuses. They've been friends for what, 25+ years? They are musicians who created an amazing thing. And I know for certain they care about that a lot, and are doing what they can to include EVERYBODY in the ride. Because they think it's bigger then them. Sorry if that pisses you off. Boo-hoo

I don't understand why you have such a problem with the return key.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

I also don't know what shows you were going to where "most of the people" were in their 30s.

G. Augusto

Quote from: mattstick on July 06, 2011, 04:52:42 PM

I also don't know what shows you were going to where "most of the people" were in their 30s.

It was there 30's.
I wouldn't give him any credit.

aphineday

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 06, 2011, 04:45:49 PM
I don't understand why some of you have such a problem that people are enjoying Phish right now.   
(blah snipped)
Sorry if that pisses you off. Boo-hoo

Way to bring down the
Level of discourse in here
Try reading the thread

Spot on. Gumbo wasn't attacking anyone with this thread. He was making very rational, well crafted arguments. So has everyone else in this thread, even if I don't agree with them on everything. You have some valid points, but there's no need to come in with personal attacks...
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...