News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Digging the whale avatar. :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Augustus

Saw my first show 20 years ago.
Doesn't feel that long.

mistercharlie

14 years ago I was stomping a mud puddle in the lawn of the Polaris Amphitheatre, during a crazy ass storm that led the band to jam the hell out of Ghost.

10 years ago they layed down my very favorite Sneakin' Sally as I tripped balls on a bag of boomers and clearly remember dancing from the top of the lawn down to the bottom and then back up. I will have to spin this Sally today.

Oh, and 2 years ago today I got married.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

birdman

Quote from: Augustus on July 23, 2013, 08:14:05 AM
Doesn't feel that long.
Sweet blog, n00b.
Paug FTMFW!

antelope19

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 23, 2013, 09:11:02 AM
14 years ago I was stomping a mud puddle in the lawn of the Polaris Amphitheatre, during a crazy ass storm that led the band to jam the hell out of Ghost.

10 years ago they layed down my very favorite Sneakin' Sally as I tripped balls on a bag of boomers and clearly remember dancing from the top of the lawn down to the bottom and then back up. I will have to spin this Sally today.

UncleEb and I were at that deer creek run.......one of the craziest storms I've ever been a part of.....and yes, that Sally is awesome

barnesy305

Quote from: antelope19 on July 23, 2013, 09:35:14 AM

UncleEb and I were at that deer creek run.......one of the craziest storms I've ever been a part of.....and yes, that Sally is awesome

I was at those Deer Creek shows too, some friends selling tshirts decided to go to Woodstock instead. Fail.

mistercharlie

That storm that rolled in late night/early morning was amazing to witness from inside my buddies mini-van while still enjoying my trip! What was even better was that one of my buddies slept through that massive storm and woke up with his tent lying flat over him. I had watched the storm rip it out of the ground and flail it around with him anchoring it down. The look on his face when he climbed out of his wrecked tent was priceless.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

Doesn't feel that long.

That's what she said.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

gah

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on July 23, 2013, 11:26:51 AM
Doesn't feel that long.

That's what she said.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard That's so wong!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

antelope19

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 23, 2013, 10:37:52 AM

That storm that rolled in late night/early morning was amazing to witness from inside my buddies mini-van while still enjoying my trip! What was even better was that one of my buddies slept through that massive storm and woke up with his tent lying flat over him. I had watched the storm rip it out of the ground and flail it around with him anchoring it down. The look on his face when he climbed out of his wrecked tent was priceless.

It rolled through so quick, we didn't have time to get to our car, so we hunkered down in our tents, literally holding on to our tents so they didn't fly away or break.  I have vivd memories of the wind lifting up our shade tarp and then slamming it down, completely bending the poles in half and destroying them.  It was amazing to watch.  Our cooler went flying, we didn't know what to do!   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard  Afterwards, it was eerie.....quiet with people wondering where their stuff had ended up.  Once we got our own stuff back together, we went out and helped our neighbors.  It was crazy.

joeldiesel

Quote from: VA $l!m on July 17, 2013, 07:32:40 PM
Quote from: barnesy305 on July 17, 2013, 04:05:28 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on July 17, 2013, 01:18:17 PM
Today is the 20th anniversary of my 1st Phish show  8-)

Saturday, 07/17/1993
The Filene Center at Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA

Soundcheck: Jump Monk tease, Shaggy Dog, Nellie Kane, Leprechaun, The Mango Song (x2), Funky Bitch (x2), Punch You in the Eye, Blues Jam

Set 1: The Landlady > Runaway Jim, Sample in a Jar, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Stash, Reba[1], Chalk Dust Torture, The Horse[2] > Silent in the Morning > The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony > David Bowie

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Tweezer, The Squirming Coil, It's Ice, Sparkle > Big Ball Jam > Mike's Song > Leprechaun > Weekapaug Groove[3] -> Hold Your Head Up -> Faht[4], Rift, Good Times Bad Times

Encore: Amazing Grace, Daniel Saw the Stone > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Stash teases from Trey.
[2] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[3] Unfinished.
[4] Fishman on acoustic guitar.

Notes: Reba contained Stash teases from Trey. The Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar and Faht featured Fishman on acoustic guitar. Weekapaug was unfinished.

My second show..I was 18...I hopped the fence....it was rad.
:rockout:

yeah, wolftrap had no idea what hit them, lol.
what a kiler scene.

i had just moved to Vienna  a month before, about 2 miles away from the venue, so all my richmond friends came up.
Best part was i was the oldest, just turned 19, and was elected to carry the cooler in since they allowed beer to be brought in! :beerbang:
--dont think ive ever seen a venue do that since.
$15 for tix!
i was actually already pretty into Phish that year since Rift had just released that Spring i believe.
unfortunately i had passed on the 92 Floodzone show in richmond that coulda been my first. :|
but this one was pretty solid good 1st show and has the nice Leprechaun kick down (2nd time played?) i would later appreciate more.
pretty sure i ate a few boomers... but mostly just partied about with the VA crowd that had people i knew from everywhere.
good times. 8-)

Thanks for bringing back the memories!  This one was also my second show. I was two months shy of 19 years old.  I remember everyone thinking this one raged, and Wolf Trap definitely had no idea what hit them.  It was like a hurricane rolled through that place, and the nice mellow venue staff were in shell shock.  I remember seeing multiple groups carrying in coolers so big that they had to be carried by their two strongest people.   It was a wild, one-of-a-kind scene for sure!

Cheers,
JDM

GBL

Phish 7/30/2003

Tweeter Center at the Waterfront, Camden, NJ

Set 1: My Friend, My Friend, Lonesome Cowboy Bill, Scents and Subtle Sounds, You Ain't Goin' Nowhere[1], Spock's Brain > Chalk Dust Torture, On Your Way Down, Fast Enough for You[2] > Taste

Set 2: Twist, Bug, You Enjoy Myself, Walls of the Cave

Encore: Secret Smile

[1] Phish debut.
[2] Bathtub Gin tease from Page.

Notes: Lonesome Cowboy Bill was played for the first time since October 31, 1998 (173 shows). This show marked the Phish debut of You Ain't Goin' Nowhere. On Your Way Down was played for the first time since October 2, 1999 (108 shows). FEFY included a Bathtub Gin tease from Page.     

http://www.phishtracks.com/shows/2003-07-30
If this is love, I'm never going home..

VDB

Quote from: GBL on July 30, 2013, 04:22:24 PM
Phish 7/30/2003

Tweeter Center at the Waterfront, Camden, NJ

Set 1: My Friend, My Friend, Lonesome Cowboy Bill, Scents and Subtle Sounds, You Ain't Goin' Nowhere[1], Spock's Brain > Chalk Dust Torture, On Your Way Down, Fast Enough for You[2] > Taste

Set 2: Twist, Bug, You Enjoy Myself, Walls of the Cave

Encore: Secret Smile

[1] Phish debut.
[2] Bathtub Gin tease from Page.

Notes: Lonesome Cowboy Bill was played for the first time since October 31, 1998 (173 shows). This show marked the Phish debut of You Ain't Goin' Nowhere. On Your Way Down was played for the first time since October 2, 1999 (108 shows). FEFY included a Bathtub Gin tease from Page.     

http://www.phishtracks.com/shows/2003-07-30

Looky there -- a 30-minute jam in the first set, and a Spock's Brain! Oh, the salad days!
Is this still Wombat?

emay

love that scents too.
killer 2nd set.

PIE-GUY

20 years ago tonight I dropped for the first time in my life. It was brilliant. Read all about it here:

http://week4paug.net/index.php?topic=20262.msg675089#msg675089
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul