News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jam>

Twas a snowy night in Albany:

Saturday, 12/09/1995   
Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY

Set 1: Maze, Theme From the Bottom > NICU > The Sloth > Rift, Bouncing Around the Room, Free, Billy Breathes, Dog Faced Boy, Chalk Dust Torture

Set 2: Timber (Jerry), Wilson[1] > Gumbo, You Enjoy Myself[2], Lawn Boy, Slave to the Traffic Light > Crossroads, Sweet Adeline
Encore: Loving Cup

[1] Quotes from talking Beavis and Butthead doll.
[2] Silent jam. Vocal jam featured quotes from talking Beavis and Butthead doll.

Teases:Theme from Shaft quote in You Enjoy Myself

mehead

Quote from: jam> on December 09, 2015, 07:43:54 AM

Saturday, 12/09/1995   

Set 1: Maze, Theme From the Bottom > NICU > The Sloth > Rift, Bouncing Around the Room, Free, Billy Breathes, Dog Faced Boy, Chalk Dust Torture

Set 2: Timber (Jerry), Wilson[1] > Gumbo, You Enjoy Myself[2], Lawn Boy, Slave to the Traffic Light > Crossroads, Sweet Adeline

[2] Silent jam. Vocal jam featured quotes from talking Beavis and Butthead doll.

went straight to the YEM as soon as I got up this morning
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

emay

Quote from: mehead on December 09, 2015, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: jam> on December 09, 2015, 07:43:54 AM

Saturday, 12/09/1995   

went straight to the YEM as soon as I got up this morning

did the same right when I got into work this AM
:rawk:

Nedstruzz

Just an absolutely amazing night.

We drove over from Portland, Maine on Saturday morning arriving at Skidmore College mid afternoon.  Drove into Albany and the snow started to fall.  Our crew had an extra and since I was recently miracled into a Dead show that previous summer I thought it fitting to return the favor.  It was beyond a sold out show so the dude was psyched. 

I just remember the place buzzing with energy as we walked in.  The first time I recall hearing hoots and hollers and cheering from the crowd as we made our way through the turnstiles.  You just knew it was going to be a good night.

It seemed everyone was on the same trip.  Or maybe that was just me.

This is one of those nights where I have these snip-its and moments of information burned into my brain that pop up randomly and make me laugh out loud.   

Maze opener just hit us in the face like a freight train.  Bam.  Theme was relatively new so we were dying to hear that.  Sloth is always great being somewhat of a Slothy Italian myself. Free was a treat as that was also fairly new at the time.

The second set is what matters here.  You've all heard it so I won't bore you with the details.  Classic Fall 95 Phish.  Trey banging away on his drum kit. 

Post show we emerge to at least a foot of snow.  Driving back to Skidmore was a team event.  Bridges freeze before roads was our constant reminder.  You literally couldn't see a thing on the roads.  Just the red tail lights from the car in front of you. 

We made it back to Skidmore. Parked the car and enjoyed the rest of our evening.  Next morning we couldn't find the car anywhere.  Eventually we determined that it must have been stolen but alas it was towed.  $100 later we were on our way back to Portland for the show on 12/11. 

Gundo

I love when people people talk about the weather with this show. Just seems like the perfect setting for the monster show  :rawk: :banana: :rockout:

emay

nice review nedstruzz!
tryin to remember any big snow storms I had to go through for phish, C ville 09 was one coming down from MSG and it started dumping snow
oh yeah that DCU Center in woosta to start off the NYE run
prob others I am forgetting, those were ones where I was driving though ha

Nedstruzz

I'll also add that 12/9/95 was my first show with one of my best touring buddy's that I have now seen well over 100 shows with.  It all started in Albany 95 with Benny and we remain like brothers today.    Hoping for a monster YEM on 1/1 or 1/2 at MSG to celebrate with him. 

jam>

Speaking of snowy shows:
I'm two days late for the anniversary of this one. I remember a pretty big snowball fight outside the venue as I was making way to the car.

Saturday, 12/07/1991   
The Music Hall, Portsmouth, NH

Set 1: Wilson > Runaway Jim, Foam, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird > My Sweet One, Stash, The Curtain > Cavern > The Mango Song > Run Like an Antelope
Set 2: Buried Alive > Reba, Chalk Dust Torture, Sparkle, Brother, The Lizards, Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin > Hold Your Head Up, Harpua
Encore: Sweet Adeline, Golgi Apparatus

Teases:
ยท The Christmas Song tease in Buried Alive

Notes: Trey felt so generous during the trampoline giveaway before Sweet Adeline that he decided to give Fish away as well, pushing him into the crowd. He also teased The Christmas Song before and during Buried Alive. Harpua included Dog Log teases from Page and Mike. Sweet Adeline was performed without microphones.

emay

forbins and harpua damn!

I dont think I have seen a snowball fight outside a phish show, maybe I have actually...I probably have.
But I do remember a big one after Snoe.Down in 2007 in Lake Placid, NY. 2nd night of the run and me and my friend walked out faced on mushies and a huge snowball fight errupted outside the Olympic Center

jam>

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on December 09, 2015, 04:12:28 PM
forbins and harpua damn!

Ya. It felt like story time. Trey was awfully talkative.

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on December 09, 2015, 04:12:28 PM
I dont think I have seen a snowball fight outside a phish show, maybe I have actually...even thought I probably have.
But I do remember a big one after Snoe.Down in 2007 in Lake Placid, NY. 2nd night of the run and me and my friend walked out faced on mushies and a huge snowball fight errupted outside the Olympic Center

Similar situation for me. Felt like Empire Strikes Back or something.

Granted I was like 14 years old.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Nedstruzz on December 08, 2015, 10:35:22 PM
Another fun night.  I convinced my parents to fly me up for the shows because I hadn't missed a Maine Phish show since 92.  Quite possibly the nicest thing they've done for me concerning Phish.

My father actually went to the show on 12/7.  12/8 was a bit better of a show IMO.  I think I was snuck into this show through a side door by a friend working the gig. 

Great playing by Fish on this Ya Mar.

Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, ME

Set 1: Limb By Limb, Back on the Train, Down with Disease > Fast Enough for You, Ya Mar, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Run Like an Antelope

Set 2: Sand, Dirt > Piper -> Dog Faced Boy, The Lizards, You Enjoy Myself -> Tweezer Reprise[1]

Encore: Golgi Apparatus > Tweezer Reprise

[1] A cappella.

Noteworthy Jams: Down with Disease, Ya Mar, Sand, Piper, You Enjoy Myself

Notes: The YEM vocal jam segued into an a cappella Tweezer Reprise. Tweezer Reprise was subsequently played in its normal manner to close out the show.

2 of my favorite nights in my Phish career. A buddy of mine went with his dad to these shows as well.
The 7th was sweet but it's all about the 2nd night. It is still so vivid in my memory.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on December 09, 2015, 03:20:07 PM
nice review nedstruzz!
tryin to remember any big snow storms I had to go through for phish, C ville 09 was one coming down from MSG and it started dumping snow
oh yeah that DCU Center in woosta to start off the NYE run
prob others I am forgetting, those were ones where I was driving though ha

That NYC > C'Ville cannonball run was something I'll never forget. JPhishman hooked up the ride and it was really the first time I'd hung with the guy.  I remember being in a complete acid daze from the previous night and SERIOUS snow for most of the drive - spaceship mode - culminating at McGrupps house for one of the first big Paug meet ups!

My other snowstorm phish memory is also Worcester run.  To preface this story, I gotta say, my parents are the shit....

I was home in MN for the holidays and had a flight scheduled to Boston for the Worcester run on the 27th. I knew snow storms were in the forecast so I was watching the weather/flights super closely the night before. Sure enough, I see my afternoon flight gets cancelled.... So I literally end up waking my parents up at 2am in the morning, they bring me to the airport in the middle of the night, and I move my flight to the first flight out of MN>Boston and make it to the show!

Don't remember much musically from that Worcester run other that the Seven Below > WTU  :wtu: but that'll do!
Bring in the dude!

jam>

Let's keep the Cumberland County theme a rollin'. Tomorrow marks the anniversary of:

Monday, 12/11/1995   

Set 1: My Friend, My Friend > Ha Ha Ha, Stash, Prince Caspian, Reba, Dog Log, Llama, Dog Log, Tube, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Julius > Cavern

Set 2: The Curtain > David Bowie, The Mango Song > Taste That Surrounds, Scent of a Mule, Harry Hood, Suspicious Minds > Hold Your Head Up, Funky Bitch*
Encore: While My Guitar Gently Weeps*

*Warren Haynes on guitar.

While 12/30/93 is the real grail show at this venue for me, this one was no slouch. Fun show. Good vibes. Dog Log goodness. I loved hearing Warren and Trey trade licks on WMGGW. I'm getting psyched for MSG!

Nedstruzz

Quote from: jam> on December 10, 2015, 12:23:39 PM
Let's keep the Cumberland County theme a rollin'. Tomorrow marks the anniversary of:

Monday, 12/11/1995   

Set 1: My Friend, My Friend > Ha Ha Ha, Stash, Prince Caspian, Reba, Dog Log, Llama, Dog Log, Tube, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Julius > Cavern

Set 2: The Curtain > David Bowie, The Mango Song > Taste That Surrounds, Scent of a Mule, Harry Hood, Suspicious Minds > Hold Your Head Up, Funky Bitch*

While 12/30/93 is the real grail show at this venue for me, this one was no slouch. Fun show. Good vibes. Dog Log goodness. I loved hearing Warren and Trey trade licks on WMGGW. I'm getting psyched for MSG!

Yep another great show at the CCCC.  Hometown show which were always fun.  We always had a large crew holding down Page side floor dating back to the HORDE 92 show.  I mean like 20-30 of us. 

My Friend was a great way to kick things off and the Stash is out of this world.  Nothing super amazing but Trey does one of those licks that you just can't replicate.  Take a listen. 

The Dog Logs were cool and it is true that Elvis was scheduled to play the Civic Center before he died.  Always a fan of McGrupp.

I always enjoyed set one of this show more than set two but Warren sitting in was a treat. 

mehead

Quote from: Nedstruzz on December 10, 2015, 04:07:49 PM
Quote from: jam> on December 10, 2015, 12:23:39 PM

Monday, 12/11/1995   

Yep another great show at the CCCC.  Hometown show which were always fun.  We always had a large crew holding down Page side floor dating back to the HORDE 92 show.  I mean like 20-30 of us. 

My Friend was a great way to kick things off and the Stash is out of this world.  Nothing super amazing but Trey does one of those licks that you just can't replicate.  Take a listen. 

The Dog Logs were cool and it is true that Elvis was scheduled to play the Civic Center before he died.  Always a fan of McGrupp.

I always enjoyed set one of this show more than set two but Warren sitting in was a treat.

Yeah, great night. CCCC, Dog Log, channeling Elvis, Warren. I was on the floor for set 2, about 10 rows back and I swear half the people around me had no clue who Warren was.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged