News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: Mr. Natural on December 21, 2015, 11:24:15 PM
Quote from: anthrax on December 17, 2015, 06:24:37 PM
Quote12/17/1999
Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA
Set 1: Piper, Meat > Sparkle > Gotta Jibboo > Punch You In the Eye, When the Circus Comes, Water in the Sky, Twist
Set 2: Birds of a Feather, The Moma Dance > Jam > Bug, Jennifer Dances, Split Open and Melt, Character Zero
Encore: The Old Home Place, The Squirming Coil > Loving Cup
Teases:
· Birds of a Feather tease in The Moma Dance
Notes: Moma included Birds teases.

this being the 5th year in a row and after the 97 and 98 monster runs, hampton was officially a legendary phish venue.  so much so that i HAD to make the trip down from illinois.  it wasn't even an option. 

(i had tickets for the 98 run, but just couldn't make it.)

decent shows, but they just didn't live up to the hype i had built up in my mind.  i remember coming out of the show and the car we had driven was towed.  also, the section we were in for night one had terrible vibes.  we were right near the roped off vip section and i swear it was filled with a crew of trey's seedy suppliers.  for me in the 90s were 110% about the music, and this weekend it became clear to me just how much the drugs had taken things over.   

so glad 09 washed that bad taste out of my mouth for good.  hampton is indeed legendary!   

You too, eh?
Picked mine up a little late from the tow lot the next morning. Wanting to get back on the road as fast as I could, I left my stash in my pants pocket. Got pulled over 10 miles from my house. Didn't flex my rights because, like an idiot, I thought the cop 'might be cool.'  :shakehead:

Didn't you say with us that night?

Mr. Natural

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 22, 2015, 03:03:08 AM
Quote from: Mr. Natural on December 21, 2015, 11:24:15 PM
Quote from: anthrax on December 17, 2015, 06:24:37 PM
Quote12/17/1999
Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA
Set 1: Piper, Meat > Sparkle > Gotta Jibboo > Punch You In the Eye, When the Circus Comes, Water in the Sky, Twist
Set 2: Birds of a Feather, The Moma Dance > Jam > Bug, Jennifer Dances, Split Open and Melt, Character Zero
Encore: The Old Home Place, The Squirming Coil > Loving Cup
Teases:
· Birds of a Feather tease in The Moma Dance
Notes: Moma included Birds teases.

this being the 5th year in a row and after the 97 and 98 monster runs, hampton was officially a legendary phish venue.  so much so that i HAD to make the trip down from illinois.  it wasn't even an option. 

(i had tickets for the 98 run, but just couldn't make it.)

decent shows, but they just didn't live up to the hype i had built up in my mind.  i remember coming out of the show and the car we had driven was towed.  also, the section we were in for night one had terrible vibes.  we were right near the roped off vip section and i swear it was filled with a crew of trey's seedy suppliers.  for me in the 90s were 110% about the music, and this weekend it became clear to me just how much the drugs had taken things over.   

so glad 09 washed that bad taste out of my mouth for good.  hampton is indeed legendary!   

You too, eh?
Picked mine up a little late from the tow lot the next morning. Wanting to get back on the road as fast as I could, I left my stash in my pants pocket. Got pulled over 10 miles from my house. Didn't flex my rights because, like an idiot, I thought the cop 'might be cool.'  :shakehead:

Didn't you say with us that night?

Yes, sir. I also parked in your hotel's parking lot. Since I didn't technically have a room, I didn't have a sticker (or whatever) to put in my car's window to indicate I was a paying guest; hence, the tow.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

August

Always loved 12-28-96 II.
I always remember the strobes during Maze going on for WAY too long.
It was awesome.
Also, this 10min Split is sick!

antelope19

Hey antelope19,

According to what you entered at Phish.net, today is the 18th anniversary of your first Phish show! To help you reminisce about the 18 long years since walking into USAir Arena in 1997, we invite you to visit http://phi.sh/971228 for the setlist and download links.

18 years ago! Half my life!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Nedstruzz

22 years ago tonight was probably the best show ever played by Phish in the state of Maine.

I think I was a sophomore in high school and boy did I get spun. The floor was actually moving as Trey did his Forbins narration.  Trey also says we are in Bath, Maine during the narration which always seems odd to me.  Did he just not remember where we were?   

This is definitely the first time I really "got it!" 

12/30/1993   
Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, ME

Soundcheck: Dog Log (x2), Funky Bitch

Set 1: David Bowie, Weigh > The Curtain > Sample in a Jar, Paul and Silas, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird > Rift > Bathtub Gin, Free Bird

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Mike's Song -> The Horse[1] > Silent in the Morning > Punch You In the Eye > McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters > Weekapaug Groove[2] > Purple Rain > Hold Your Head Up, Slave to the Traffic Light

Encore: Rocky Top > Good Times Bad Times

[1] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[2] Vocal jam; unfinished.

Teases:
· Dream On and Dave's Energy Guide jams in David Bowie
· Call to the Post tease in Punch You In the Eye

Noteworthy Jams: Bathtub Gin, Mike's Song (highly recommended), Weekapaug Groove, Slave to the Traffic Light (highly recommended)

Notes: Dream On and Dave's Energy Guide were both jammed during Bowie. The Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar. Trey teased Call to the Post at the end of PYITE. Weekapaug contained a vocal jam and was unfinished. Slave was played in response to a chant from the front row.

jam>

Quote from: Nedstruzz on December 30, 2015, 11:43:58 AM
22 years ago tonight was probably the best show ever played by Phish in the state of Maine.

I think I was a sophomore in high school and boy did I get spun. The floor was actually moving as Trey did his Forbins narration.  Trey also says we are in Bath, Maine during the narration which always seems odd to me.  Did he just not remember where we were?   

This is definitely the first time I really "got it!" 

12/30/1993   
Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, ME

Soundcheck: Dog Log (x2), Funky Bitch

Set 1: David Bowie, Weigh > The Curtain > Sample in a Jar, Paul and Silas, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird > Rift > Bathtub Gin, Free Bird

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Mike's Song -> The Horse[1] > Silent in the Morning > Punch You In the Eye > McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters > Weekapaug Groove[2] > Purple Rain > Hold Your Head Up, Slave to the Traffic Light

Encore: Rocky Top > Good Times Bad Times

[1] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[2] Vocal jam; unfinished.

Teases:
· Dream On and Dave's Energy Guide jams in David Bowie
· Call to the Post tease in Punch You In the Eye

Noteworthy Jams: Bathtub Gin, Mike's Song (highly recommended), Weekapaug Groove, Slave to the Traffic Light (highly recommended)

Notes: Dream On and Dave's Energy Guide were both jammed during Bowie. The Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar. Trey teased Call to the Post at the end of PYITE. Weekapaug contained a vocal jam and was unfinished. Slave was played in response to a chant from the front row.

This will always be my favorite 12/30 (97, 99, and 92 be damned)

PIE-GUY

12/30/93 was not my first show by a long shot but it's the night I became a Phan for life.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PGLHAH on December 30, 2015, 01:41:17 PM
12/30/93 was not my first show by a long shot but it's the night I became a Phan for life.

NOOB!!!
:-P
Have fun tonight!!!
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VA $l!m

5 years since my last show. further (otherones) @ the Beacon.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Odd timing.

Five years ago tonight, Blat, Igbo, Barnesy and I were in NYC for akron/family at the Bowery. Aug and the missus came in to town to hang too.  Pretty epic hotel room. Great show, too.

Not as good as the night before in Philly (where we saw JJ too.)

A while later, Miles (bass player) asked me about why I'd preferred Philly. The answer was easy. The Blockley had the intimacy that the Bowery lacked.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 05, 2016, 11:47:25 AM
Odd timing.

Five years ago tonight, Blat, Igbo, Barnesy and I were in NYC for akron/family at the Bowery. Aug and the missus came in to town to hang too.  Pretty epic hotel room. Great show, too.

A while later, Miles (bass player) asked me about why I'd preferred Philly. The answer was easy. The Blockley had the intimacy that the Bowery lacked.
dam, didnt recall that. shoulda coulda been a meetup.

... trying to look up the exact date now i think i might be off a bit. thought it was Beacon too but from what i could search online it mighta been Radio city, lol.
Lost the ticket stub unfortunately...pretty sure its here burried somehwere though.
was a great show. not a huge Elvis costelo fan but he totally killed it.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Speaking of meet ups, seven years ago we had a pretty good one.

justjezmund

of all the cool shows I've seen I'm still bummed that i missed these shows.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Superfreakie

Quote from: VA $l!m on March 05, 2016, 02:16:41 PM
Odd timing.

dam, didnt recall that. shoulda coulda been a meetup.

... trying to look up the exact date now i think i might be off a bit. thought it was Beacon too but from what i could search online it mighta been Radio city, lol.
Lost the ticket stub unfortunately...pretty sure its here burried somehwere though.
was a great show. not a huge Elvis costelo fan but he totally killed it.

It was Radio City.......I nearly corrected you.  :wink: Elvis Costello and Diana Krall. What's Become of the Baby!
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

justjezmund

Odd timing.

Yeah RIP Blockley.  That place was great.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.