News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Loved that story SF.

Not sure I'd heard it before...
Bring in the dude!

pcr3

Quote from: Superfreakie on September 13, 2016, 06:08:55 PM
Quote from: birdman on September 13, 2016, 01:49:07 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on September 13, 2016, 12:36:11 PM
Surfing around Phish.net and see this:
HAPPY PHISHIVERSARY!
Superfreakie

9-13-1990

Dude! Wetlands with a double encore?
That shit's awesome!
Dude was 14. And out of the country. I barely let my 15yo out of the house.

As the story goes, I had never really heard Phish but was into the GD. Played drums in a band with a bunch of older kids who were 18-21 years of age. They had managed to convince my parents to allow me to see the Dead that Spring '90 tour (Albany, Nassau and Hamilton). They did not tell them that the band was the Grateful Dead, but instead that we were going to see some jazz. We gigged in local bars. I'd get snuck in the back door with the equipment and wear a baseball hat, always looking down so no one would question my age. When I'd get caught, it was often too late to kick me out, as the show would be in progress and the bar managers/owners needed a band.

Anyway, these older kids drove me down to Wetlands for this show, the day before my birthday although by the time the show ended, past-midnight, it was my birthday. It was my first time in NYC and I'm not sure if we paid the door guy extra as it was sold out, or if they paid him extra to get me in (I can't remember if it was an all-ages show). Naturally, I was flying high on some wonderful fluff. Phish came out and played. I had no idea when songs were ending and starting, nor their names (turns out quite a few songs made their debuts on this night, so I wasn't alone). I classed them as a jazz rock band, with some prog. The guitar player was stellar and I liked the drummer. Wasn't super enamored with the bass player and thought the keyboard player could use a real piano. Everyone was dancing and getting the fuck down. Little did I know just how big of a role these weird dudes would play in my life. It was awesome; I used to love seeing live music in intimate clubs like that. Something I rarely do nowadays as I am too busy. 26 years ago.........

Got any pics from that run? Would love to see what a 14 year old Superfreakie looked like on tour.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

anthrax

i can honestly say i enjoy 2000 phish way more now that i did when it was happening.  i was in need of a phish break in the fall of 2000.  a week later we got the announcement (my first couch tour!) and i booked a flight to the bay area for the first weekend of october.

QuotePHISH, SATURDAY 09/23/2000
ALLSTATE ARENA
Rosemont , IL
SET 1: Come On Baby, Let's Go Downtown[1] > The Moma Dance, Frankenstein, Halley's Comet > Fee > Stash

SET 2: Birds of a Feather, Tweezer[2] > NICU > Scent of a Mule, Fast Enough for You, Piper > Character Zero

ENCORE: Sleeping Monkey > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Phish debut.
[2] Featured an ending typical for older Tweezers with a die-down akin to the Picture of Nectar album version.
Come On Baby, Let's Go Downtown made its Phish debut at this show. Trey teased Super Bad in Moma Dance. Tweezer contained Sunshine of Your Love teases from Trey and featured an ending typical for older Tweezers with a die-down akin to the Picture of Nectar album version.

Gundo

HOLY SHIT! Neil Young and CH opener?!?!?! That's just too f'ing sick

Had no idea that existed. Listening now  :rawk:

jam>

No too too many early October shows that I've attended over the years.

A couple days ago marks the anniversary of the beginning of the hiatus. 10/7/00 was a classy way to go out in my opinion.

In a couple days marks the anniversary of a great random one-off show for me. I flew out to Arizona solo to visit Prescott College. Didn't end up going, but that didn't stop me from having a cool little adventure that included catching a solid show: 10/11/95 Compton Terrace show (and both Crossroads ever played at that point):

Chandler , AZ
SET 1: Stash, The Old Home Place > Cavern > Divided Sky, If I Could, The Fog That Surrounds, Acoustic Army, Julius, Sample in a Jar
SET 2: Possum > Bathtub Gin, Mound, Mike's Song -> McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters > Weekapaug Groove -> Llama, Suzy Greenberg -> Crossroads, Hello My Baby, A Day in the Life
ENCORE: Chalk Dust Torture

jam>

And BOOM! My 1000th post. It only took me a little over 11 years. Thanks for a fun ride, everyone!

birdman

Quote from: jam> on October 09, 2016, 11:06:48 AM
And BOOM! My 1000th post. It only took me a little over 11 years. Thanks for a fun ride, everyone!
Thousand posts Huh?
Nice work n00b
Paug FTMFW!

jam>

Quote from: birdman on October 09, 2016, 11:18:58 AM
Quote from: jam> on October 09, 2016, 11:06:48 AM
Thousand posts Huh?
Nice work n00b
Party Time!

rowjimmy

Yesterday was the 22nd anniversary of my first Phish show.

It was cool.

ph92

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 09, 2016, 11:34:02 PM
Yesterday was the 22nd anniversary of my first Phish show.

It was cool.
Such depth and composition in this post. Really getting a Gumbo-esque vibe here.

I miss the days of short and concise haiku RJ
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

PIE-GUY

22 years ago... and the boys are playing Nashville again tonight!!

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

runawayjimbo

Quote from: PGLHAH on October 18, 2016, 07:42:17 AM

One of my favorite shows from one of my favorite tours. Gonna have to go cue this one up today. My #1 Reba overshadows a smoking Stash and Bowie.

Was it you or birdman with the great story about Mike and the Simple hat? Probably both.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 18, 2016, 09:15:14 AM
Quote from: PGLHAH on October 18, 2016, 07:42:17 AM

One of my favorite shows from one of my favorite tours. Gonna have to go cue this one up today. My #1 Reba overshadows a smoking Stash and Bowie.

Was it you or birdman with the great story about Mike and the Simple hat? Probably both.

I'm gonna go with both... lol...

Another great story from this show:

This dude who's name I forget but who lived in my dorm freshman year met Mike before the show and it's a great story.

So, the kid plays bass and spent his high school years geeking out on Phish. Of course, the newsletters are still going to his house outside Boston once he heads to Vandy. His mom sees Phish is playing on campus and writes a letter to the band... totally unbenounced to him... saying he's a huge fan, yada yada yada. Mike responds with a letter (all snail mail, of course) saying, "Tell your son to be on the corner of xxxx and yyyy at 2pm with a red hat on and I will meet him there."

Kid does not own a red hat, so he borrows one from someone and heads to the corner. Sure enough the tour bus pulls up right in front of him and Mike sticks his head out the door and says "get in."

Long story short, Mike doesn't even remember responding to the letter, but he made a note to himself on his daily planner to meet some kid in a red hat... yada yada yada.

He rides with them to venue, Mike shows him around his gear and he gets to hang out and watch the soundcheck.

:clap:  :phish:
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.