News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

20 years ago today, my first.
Damn, time flies. Total game changer for me as I was a serious noob as far as Phish went. Heard ALO and maybe Billy Breathes before this. Took my then GF, now wife on our first adventure/roadtrip to this. She saw all the naked people walking around on the 2nd day and decided she might as well go topless. I was in love at that point  :mrgreen: She definitely liked the scene more than the music although she enjoyed the funk and of course the fireworks. Cities was my IT moment and I knew that I would be seeing this band til they hung it up. Looking back now, that Harpua moment was the coolest, too bad I had no clue what was going on at the time. Did this entire weekend sober although a guy in the crowd shared some fungus with me but I didn't notice it at all.

08/16/1997 (Sat) The Great Went - Loring Air Force Base - Limestone, ME
Set 1: Makisupa Policeman > Harpua*, Chalk Dust Torture, Theme From the Bottom, Punch You in the Eye, Ghost, Ginseng Sullivan, You Enjoy Myself, Train Song, Character Zero, The Squirming Coil
Set 2: Wolfman's Brother > Simple** > My Soul, Slave to the Traffic Light***, Rocky Top, Julius
Set 3: Halley's Comet > Cities > Llama > Lawn Boy, Limb By Limb, Funky Bitch##
E: Contact, Loving Cup
Comments: * - Started with the theme and Jimmy story, picking up where the song stopped last year at the Clifford Ball.
** - Theme from the 'Odd Couple' tease.
*** - Included instrumental intro.
## - Major fireworks display behind the stage as Funky Bitch ends.  We made our way to the back of the venue to watch the fireworks.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mehead

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 16, 2017, 07:57:41 AM
20 years ago today, my first.
Damn, time flies. Total game changer for me as I was a serious noob as far as Phish went. Heard ALO and maybe Billy Breathes before this. Took my then GF, now wife on our first adventure/roadtrip to this. She saw all the naked people walking around on the 2nd day and decided she might as well go topless. I was in love at that point  :mrgreen: She definitely liked the scene more than the music although she enjoyed the funk and of course the fireworks. Cities was my IT moment and I knew that I would be seeing this band til they hung it up. Looking back now, that Harpua moment was the coolest, too bad I had no clue what was going on at the time. Did this entire weekend sober although a guy in the crowd shared some fungus with me but I didn't notice it at all.

08/16/1997 (Sat) The Great Went - Loring Air Force Base - Limestone, ME
Set 1: Makisupa Policeman > Harpua*, Chalk Dust Torture, Theme From the Bottom, Punch You in the Eye, Ghost, Ginseng Sullivan, You Enjoy Myself, Train Song, Character Zero, The Squirming Coil
Set 2: Wolfman's Brother > Simple** > My Soul, Slave to the Traffic Light***, Rocky Top, Julius
Set 3: Halley's Comet > Cities > Llama > Lawn Boy, Limb By Limb, Funky Bitch##
E: Contact, Loving Cup
Comments: * - Started with the theme and Jimmy story, picking up where the song stopped last year at the Clifford Ball.
** - Theme from the 'Odd Couple' tease.
*** - Included instrumental intro.
## - Major fireworks display behind the stage as Funky Bitch ends.  We made our way to the back of the venue to watch the fireworks.

Shit was sooooo awesome. This was when I discovered putting up your tent while dosed to the gills sucks ass.

Then, a year later, we had day 2 of Lemonwheel............

08/16/98 (Sun)  Loring Air Force Base - Limestone, ME
Set 1: Ginseng Sullivan, Bathtub Gin, Rift, Punch You In The Eye, Lawn Boy, Ya Mar, AC/DC Bag, Relax, Birds of a Feather, Guyute, Possum

Set 2: Down With Disease > Piper, Story of the Ghost, Fluffhead, When the Circus Comes, Wading in a Velvet Sea, Hold Your Head Up > Sexual Healing > Hold Your Head Up, Run Like an Antelope

Set 3: Sabotage, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Wilson, The Mango Song, Character Zero, Bittersweet Motel, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, E: Harry Hood, The Baby Elephant Walk
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

khalpin

Quote from: mehead on August 16, 2017, 08:16:00 AM

This was when I discovered putting up your tent while dosed to the gills sucks ass.

In the rain too.  That first night sucked.  Ended up sleeping in the minivan that we rented for the rest of the weekend.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: khalpin on August 16, 2017, 09:48:58 AM

This was when I discovered putting up your tent while dosed to the gills sucks ass.

In the rain too.  That first night sucked.  Ended up sleeping in the minivan that we rented for the rest of the weekend.

Woke up in a puddle and spent the next afternoon at the laundromat.
It was cool though since we got to meet a bunch of heads there and hear their stories from tour.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mehead

Oh yeah. Half of our crew was in a huge army tent. Got totally flooded out that first night.

mattstick

Clifford Ball was my 2nd and 3rd shows.  The daytime/afternoon set on the 17th is still one of my favourite Phish experiences...

mbw

Took my then GF, now wife on our first adventure/roadtrip to this. She saw all the naked people walking around on the 2nd day and decided she might as well go topless. I was in love at that point  :mrgreen:

Rule #1

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mbw on August 16, 2017, 11:54:07 AM
Took my then GF, now wife on our first adventure/roadtrip to this. She saw all the naked people walking around on the 2nd day and decided she might as well go topless. I was in love at that point  :mrgreen:

Rule #1

I'll go through all the old pics from that weekend but she wouldn't have let me snap one. Back in those days, we printed our pics at a photolab. You can't be having strangers going through that stuff.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mehead on August 16, 2017, 10:35:05 AM

Oh yeah. Half of our crew was in a huge army tent. Got totally flooded out that first night.

Our tent got flooded. Reached out of the tent and popped open the hatch on the minivan during the downpour and moved our not-yet soaked sleeping bags into the van. Slept there that night.
Tent dried out all right the next day, though.

Went and Lemonwheel were/are among the greatest weekends of my life.

PIE-GUY

I never made it up to Loring for any of the events up there. I didn't have a good time at Clifford Ball and didn't hit another Phish fest until Big Cypress.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

birdman

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 16, 2017, 01:35:49 PM
I never made it up to Loring for any of the events up there. I didn't have a good time at Clifford Ball and didn't hit another Phish fest until Big Cypress.
Phish is better with money
Paug FTMFW!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: birdman on August 16, 2017, 01:42:55 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 16, 2017, 01:35:49 PM
Phish is better with money

zactly - something about spending ten of my last fourteen dollars on bunk acid rubbed me wrong.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mehead

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 16, 2017, 01:21:39 PM
Quote from: mehead on August 16, 2017, 10:35:05 AM

Our tent got flooded. Reached out of the tent and popped open the hatch on the minivan during the downpour and moved our not-yet soaked sleeping bags into the van. Slept there that night.
Tent dried out all right the next day, though.

Went and Lemonwheel were/are among the greatest weekends of my life.

2nd'd

Nedstruzz

Clifford Ball/Went/Lemonwheel were special times for sure.  Funny how we never know it when its happening but in hindsight its so clear. 

I think 20 years from now we will all be thinking about how the Bakers Dozen was as epic as these shows.  Makes me sad for the future actually.