News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazzfest 2012, or the all things NOLA thread

Started by postjack, October 19, 2011, 11:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleEbinezer

Nice!  I didn't know if you were making the "jauntee" off of 95.  I'll let GAH be the social director on this one.  I don't see anything on my calendar preventing me from catching up. 
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

postjack

From festydave: "I say lets end the speculation. How does next Wed. work for everybody? Great. We will announce talent on Wed., Dec. 14."

:rockout:
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

PIE-GUY

Quote from: postjack on December 07, 2011, 01:24:58 PM
From festydave: "I say lets end the speculation. How does next Wed. work for everybody? Great. We will announce talent on Wed., Dec. 14."

WOOHOO!!
`
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

postjack

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 07, 2011, 01:59:14 PM

WOOHOO!!
`

I wasn't expecting the lineup until January. surprised and excited!
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

gah

Quote from: postjack on December 07, 2011, 02:45:28 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 07, 2011, 01:59:14 PM

WOOHOO!!
`

I wasn't expecting the lineup until January. surprised and excited!

Yeah, it's been mid-december the last few years. Either way, definitely cool for them to announce a date as opposed to having my check three times a day all December.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

postjack

In other NOLA news, Voodoo will have their presale also on Dec 14th. Last year 3 day passes were $90 all in, a great deal. they'll also be offering the never-worth-it VIP passes, and 5 month payment plans for anyone that wants to go the installment route.

I told myself after last years line up release fiasco and resulting weak lineup that I wouldn't buy tickets in the presale. But then I had such an awesome time this past year. Still thinking about it. :-)

gah

Quote from: postjack on December 08, 2011, 01:49:02 PM
In other NOLA news, Voodoo will have their presale also on Dec 14th. Last year 3 day passes were $90 all in, a great deal. they'll also be offering the never-worth-it VIP passes, and 5 month payment plans for anyone that wants to go the installment route.

I told myself after last years line up release fiasco and resulting weak lineup that I wouldn't buy tickets in the presale. But then I had such an awesome time this past year. Still thinking about it. :-)

I've debated Voodoo for a few years now, but it's just way too far for me to consider doing the pre-sale for right now. Bear Creek on the other hand, I'll be DEF signing up for the 5 month plan as soon as it's available! 11/08-11/11/2012

postjack

Quote from: goodabouthood on December 08, 2011, 01:53:12 PM

I've debated Voodoo for a few years now, but it's just way too far for me to consider doing the pre-sale for right now. Bear Creek on the other hand, I'll be DEF signing up for the 5 month plan as soon as it's available! 11/08-11/11/2012

Therein lies the problem for me: BC was awesome, and I know I want to do it next year. But going to two festivals almost back to back (Voodoo > weekend break > BC) is rough on the school and even rough physically and mentally. I needs my time to chill out you know?

BC is better then Voodoo for a number of reasons. Better crowd (in both quantity and quality), better/easier venue, guaranteed to be loaded with acts I enjoy, and on top of all that its cheaper. Voodoo has that old school festival feel, that "fuck the customer" attitude from the 1990s Woodstock era. only a handful of bathrooms, no running water, etc. I mean, I love it, don't get me wrong. City park is magical. But its a pain in the ass.

But of course Voodoo is 2 hours away from me. I might buy a presale ticket, even if I just want to head over for a day then drive home afterwards, a 3 day presale will probably still be cheaper then a 1 day at the gate.

Also my GF and I are spending Christmas Eve in New Orleans. Going to Trombone Shorty's 2nd Annual Funky Christmas jam!

EDIT: Also the two rumors I've heard for Jazzfest are Bruce Springsteen and the Black Keys. and festydave confirmed that Madonna is not playing. Don't know how that suggestion even got started.

gah

Quote from: postjack on December 08, 2011, 08:32:43 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on December 08, 2011, 01:53:12 PM

Therein lies the problem for me: BC was awesome, and I know I want to do it next year. But going to two festivals almost back to back (Voodoo > weekend break > BC) is rough on the school and even rough physically and mentally. I needs my time to chill out you know?

BC is better then Voodoo for a number of reasons. Better crowd (in both quantity and quality), better/easier venue, guaranteed to be loaded with acts I enjoy, and on top of all that its cheaper. Voodoo has that old school festival feel, that "fuck the customer" attitude from the 1990s Woodstock era. only a handful of bathrooms, no running water, etc. I mean, I love it, don't get me wrong. City park is magical. But its a pain in the ass.

But of course Voodoo is 2 hours away from me. I might buy a presale ticket, even if I just want to head over for a day then drive home afterwards, a 3 day presale will probably still be cheaper then a 1 day at the gate.

Also my GF and I are spending Christmas Eve in New Orleans. Going to Trombone Shorty's 2nd Annual Funky Christmas jam!

EDIT: Also the two rumors I've heard for Jazzfest are Bruce Springsteen and the Black Keys. and festydave confirmed that Madonna is not playing. Don't know how that suggestion even got started.

UBER JEALOUS!

Yeah, I heard the Bruce rumor too.

As for the comparison, it's exactly why as much as I've been interested in Voodoo, I just can't make it happen. Especially with a varying quality line up every year. With BC I KNOW what I'm going to get, a funking good time. With Voodoo, I might get blink 182 and girl talk  :shakehead:

As for JF, I mentioned this to Dave last week, but it's going to be REALLY hard for me to make it this year. I'm not saying I'm NOT going to be there, but in terms of chances, I'm only sitting at about 20% right now.

PIE-GUY

The last time Bruce played JF it was his first ever show with the Seeger Sessions band... and I missed it to see the original Meters. Possibly the greatest example of the the Jazzfest credo in my personal Jazzfest history... "Judge your Jazzfest not by what you saw, but by what you missed to see what you saw."

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 09, 2011, 09:19:56 AM
The last time Bruce played JF it was his first ever show with the Seeger Sessions band... and I missed it to see the original Meters. Possibly the greatest example of the the Jazzfest credo in my personal Jazzfest history... "Judge your Jazzfest not by what you saw, but by what you missed to see what you saw."

Sometimes it hurts.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: goodabouthood on December 09, 2011, 09:23:04 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 09, 2011, 09:19:56 AM

Sometimes it hurts.

you know the year Phish played, 1996, the day before Phish the Allman Bros. closed out the main stage (then called the Ray Ban Stage) while in the jazz tent Branford Marsalis Quartet was playing A Love Supreme in its entirety.

postjack

Three things:

First, the Voodoo pricing structure for 2012 has been announced.

http://jointheritual.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/2012-ticket-price-schedule/

Couple of interesting things here. First, the LOA VIP passes start at $222, last year the presale was $300. Rare is the reviewer that says LOA is "worth it", but for $222 I'm actually considering it for the elevated and front row seating as well as the bathrooms.

Second, and I'm sure I'm reading too much into this, but I'm glad they are announcing the full long term pricing. Makes me glad someone is actually thinking something out for Voodoo instead of just winging it. Last year it felt like they were winging it all year, with the lineup and everything. Hopefully they'll take this year as an opportunity to re-establish themselves as a premier festival.

Third, note the price increase in mid-May to the normal Voodoo pricing of $150. Again, this is earlier then last year, and it makes me hope against hope they will actually release a good chunk of the lineup then, instead of the piecemeal horseshit they did last year. After the fan outrage they experienced with the "band a day" thing, I'm seriously hoping they don't go that route again.

Second: an announcement on the Jazzfest FB:

QuoteComplete 2012 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival Lineup to be released Wed! BUT tune in tomorrow for a Very Special Early Announcement!

So we get a special announcement tomorrow! I'm thinking it will be the big big headliner. Its probably Bruce, but I'm crossing my fingers for Paul McCartney.

Third: there is a rumor at the JF forum that this year might be the Neville's "farewell" show at JF. not sure if this is farewell from JF or farewell from shows altogether. it is just a rumor, could be nothing.

gah

Quote from: postjack on December 12, 2011, 10:08:08 PM
Three things:

First, the Voodoo pricing structure for 2012 has been announced.

http://jointheritual.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/2012-ticket-price-schedule/

Couple of interesting things here. First, the LOA VIP passes start at $222, last year the presale was $300. Rare is the reviewer that says LOA is "worth it", but for $222 I'm actually considering it for the elevated and front row seating as well as the bathrooms.

Second, and I'm sure I'm reading too much into this, but I'm glad they are announcing the full long term pricing. Makes me glad someone is actually thinking something out for Voodoo instead of just winging it. Last year it felt like they were winging it all year, with the lineup and everything. Hopefully they'll take this year as an opportunity to re-establish themselves as a premier festival.

Third, note the price increase in mid-May to the normal Voodoo pricing of $150. Again, this is earlier then last year, and it makes me hope against hope they will actually release a good chunk of the lineup then, instead of the piecemeal horseshit they did last year. After the fan outrage they experienced with the "band a day" thing, I'm seriously hoping they don't go that route again.

Second: an announcement on the Jazzfest FB:

QuoteComplete 2012 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival Lineup to be released Wed! BUT tune in tomorrow for a Very Special Early Announcement!

So we get a special announcement tomorrow! I'm thinking it will be the big big headliner. Its probably Bruce, but I'm crossing my fingers for Paul McCartney.

Third: there is a rumor at the JF forum that this year might be the Neville's "farewell" show at JF. not sure if this is farewell from JF or farewell from shows altogether. it is just a rumor, could be nothing.

WHAT!  :-o

Last year the Rads, this year the Nevilles? Who's going to be taking over the final spots on the big stages? Those are going to be some big shoes to fill! Maybe Dumpstaphunk? Time to pass the torch to the younger generation of Nevilles? Honestly though after seeing Art a few times this year (Mahalia Jackson Theater at Jazzfest, Bayou Boogaloo, Bear Creek), I think  it makes sense. It's getting tough for him to even get up from his keys without assistance.

eta: although, if this really is the last year the nevilles are closing out JF, I will have to find a way to be there.

As for Voodoo, you still can't convince me to go!  :wink:

PIE-GUY

I would not be surprise if Art retires completely. Sad, but not surprised. His back is in horrible shape.