News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazzfest 2012, or the all things NOLA thread

Started by postjack, October 19, 2011, 11:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 19, 2011, 02:07:58 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on December 17, 2011, 09:46:58 AM
Quote from: aphineday on December 17, 2011, 03:00:25 AM
Fuck it.

IN.

First Weekend.

My first time in New Orleans, so time to make it count.

Aw come on man, check the roll call again:

1st weekend
pie guy
postjack

2nd weekend
pie guy
post jack
jphishman
gah

You know you wanna be in that number! 2nd weekend is where it's at!

BTW, is that locked and loaded?

Unfortunately, no. But it's in the works. I need to work out a plan of attack.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

gah

So looking at French Quarter Fest, April 12-15, and its running about $200 cheaper for flights, and $150/night cheaper for hotels compared with 2nd weekend Jazzfest. And it's free.  :|

PG, ever been?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: goodabouthood on December 29, 2011, 02:25:05 PM
So looking at French Quarter Fest, April 12-15, and its running about $200 cheaper for flights, and $150/night cheaper for hotels compared with 2nd weekend Jazzfest. And it's free.  :|

PG, ever been?

No, it stack raves about it. It's gotten really big and crowded in recent years. Free is free.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Quote from: goodabouthood on December 19, 2011, 06:59:18 PM
Fuck it.

IN.

First Weekend.

1st weekend
pie guy
postjack

2nd weekend
pie guy
post jack
jphishman
gah

So yeah, barring some sort of miracle, this isn't happening for me this year. It's just not going to be possible. I'm gonna have to wait for my NOLA funk to happen with Norfolk's Annual Bayou Boogaloo in the summer, and shoot for Bear Creek in November. As for getting back to the Crescent City, might not happen in 2012 at all unfortunately.  :cry:

PIE-GUY

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 09, 2012, 04:42:15 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on December 19, 2011, 06:59:18 PM
Fuck it.

IN.

First Weekend.

1st weekend
pie guy
postjack

2nd weekend
pie guy
post jack
jphishman
gah

So yeah, barring some sort of miracle, this isn't happening for me this year. It's just not going to be possible. I'm gonna have to wait for my NOLA funk to happen with Norfolk's Annual Bayou Boogaloo in the summer, and shoot for Bear Creek in November. As for getting back to the Crescent City, might not happen in 2012 at all unfortunately.  :cry:

aphineday

Going to try and pull the trigger on this thing for the first weekend this week. Suggestions of good places to stay?
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

postjack

Quote from: aphineday on January 11, 2012, 06:14:39 PM
Going to try and pull the trigger on this thing for the first weekend this week. Suggestions of good places to stay?

The key is trying to find someplace reasonably priced. For locations you probably want to be in the french quarter, or the central business district. Avoid east new Orleans. Hotels are cheaper in Metairie/Kenner but they are outside the city and you'll need a car.

I find tripadvisor to be invaluable in these situations. But just to name a few great hotels I've stayed in: Marriott canal, wyndham Whitney, hotel monteleone, holiday inn FQ.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

gah

Quote from: postjack on January 11, 2012, 08:03:35 PM
Quote from: aphineday on January 11, 2012, 06:14:39 PM

The key is trying to find someplace reasonably priced. For locations you probably want to be in the french quarter, or the central business district. Avoid east new Orleans. Hotels are cheaper in Metairie/Kenner but they are outside the city and you'll need a car.

I find tripadvisor to be invaluable in these situations. But just to name a few great hotels I've stayed in: Marriott canal, wyndham Whitney, hotel monteleone, holiday inn FQ.

I'll 2nd the Holiday Inn FQ rec. Perfect location for catching the bus across the street to the fest everyday, they also have their own shuttle service tha tpicks up from downstairs, also, great location for being able to walk to shows throughout the FQ, down on Frenchman, or over int the CBD.

ETA: My other suggestion would be to spend some time over here:

http://www.nojazzfest.com/chat/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Those folks have a lot of good info for a jazzfest first timer.

gah

Also, good interview with Leo here:

http://livebisslist.blogspot.com/

But more importantly he mentions the Original Meters doing a gig 2nd weekend, Saturday night (May 5th)at the Howlin' Wolf!  :crazy:

Be there Fest goers!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 16, 2012, 12:31:13 PM

But more importantly he mentions the Original Meters doing a gig 2nd weekend, Saturday night (May 5th)at the Howlin' Wolf!  :crazy:

Be there Fest goers!

i have never seen an interview with Leo where he didn't claim "all those old Meters songs are mine." He has the biggest ego I've ever seen. It's hilarious, really.

and, as much as I will always go out of my way to see the original Meters play, I actually prefer the Funky Meters... George, Art, Russel, Brian... just sayin'.

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 16, 2012, 12:45:59 PM

Be there Fest goers!

i have never seen an interview with Leo where he didn't claim "all those old Meters songs are mine." He has the biggest ego I've ever seen. It's hilarious, really.

and, as much as I will always go out of my way to see the original Meters play, I actually prefer the Funky Meters... George, Art, Russel, Brian... just sayin'.

Oh, I know you're a FM > OM guy, but you got to admit, 2nd weekend of Fest, Saturday night, Howlin Wolf, Meters? Sounds like a funking good time to me!

gah

Springsteen is the last announced big name act for the 1st weekend.

QuoteIn an 11th-hour surprise, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will perform April 29 at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. It's a first for E Street but an encore for Springsteen, whose emotionally wrenching debut was the festival's standout in 2006.

Springsteen's 17th studio album, the 11-track Wrecking Ball, arrives March 6, and the Jazz Fest date is a stop along what's expected to be a world tour kicking off this spring.

The 2012 Jazz Fest, already a rock-heavy affair with a Beach Boys reunion, Tom Petty, the Foo Fighters, the Eagles and Eddie Vedder, was completely booked with all time slots inked when producer Quint Davis received word in early January that Springsteen wanted in.

"That stood the whole thing on its axis," Davis says. "But doing the impossible is something we never shy away from."

Springsteen's camp told Davis that waiting for confirmation of Wrecking's release date delayed the request. With talent funds depleted, Davis went to the Jazz Fest board for a hefty budget increase.

PIE-GUY

Honestly, if Al Green is on Gentilly while Bruce is on Acura, it'll be a tossup for me. I love he Boss, truly... But I skipped his last Jazzfest appearance to see the original Meters on Gentilly.  Judge your Jazzfest not by what you saw... 

postjack

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 16, 2012, 12:45:59 PM

Be there Fest goers!

i never posted a proper voodoo 2011 review, but i was disappointed by the Original Meters set. every other review raved about it, but to my ears the playing was sloppy and off point, almost like they are a band that doesn't practice together and just occasionally plays a gig for a big paycheck. :-D

i greatly prefer the funky meters shows i've seen.

also I'm psyched about bruce. after seeing the dailies, it looks like we are going to try for 1st saturday and sunday as well as 2nd saturday and sunday. i'm really happy and surprised they put MMJ on saturday, i thought for sure they'd get the thursday "jamband" slot.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

aphineday

So I guess we're doing New Orleans dirty and cheap. My buddy booked us a fucking Hostel. At least we have our own room/bathroom, but still.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...