News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazzfest 2012, or the all things NOLA thread

Started by postjack, October 19, 2011, 11:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 29, 2012, 09:58:18 PM
With abut 2 hours of sleep, today was a slow day. Acura stage was packed to the gills from the start. I parked it there with my buddy's parents and waited for Bruce. Of course waiting for bruce meant seeing trombone shorty and dr. John.

I know people have mixed feeling about the boss around here, but I gotta say, it was a really great show. 50,000 people moving as one in that space. There is really nothing better. Nothing.

For food... Begneit's and iced cafe au lait. Crawfish streudel. Natchedoches meat pie. Creole stuffed bread. Then a huge roast beef poboy once we got out of there.

I have a 6am flight tomorrow. Gonna suck donkey balls.

eating good!

:drool:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

PIE-GUY

Every now and then all the travel pays off. Got a call at about midnight from the exec platinum desk informing me of a four hour delay... Reset the alarm and slept an extra four hours... And it was still really hard to wake up!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

This looks like an interesting book:

https://www.createspace.com/3690431

Quote"With this intimate history of clubs, musicians and festivals, Jay Mazza places you on the bar stool, the street corner and the dance floor-the best vantage points for understanding the changes on the music scene of the 1980s and 1990s. An invaluable key to understanding life in New Orleans at the end of the 20th century."-Brian Boyles, Director of Public Relations and Programs, Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities

"Anyone interested in what's been happening on the New Orleans music scene over the last thirty years should take a jump down this rabbit hole. Told from the perspective of someone who was actually front and center, Jay Mazza has compiled his mountain of published articles, notes, recollections and musings into an intriguing overview of a period of New Orleans music that has, for the most part, been neglected."-Reggie Scanlan, bassist for Professor Longhair, James Booker, the Radiators and the New Orleans Suspects

PIE-GUY

Gonna swing by the book tent next weekend. I bet they have signed copies of this for sale.

JPhishman

Man I'm  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: !!!

This is going to be glorious beyond words.

Just a few more days...
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

PIE-GUY

Quote from: JPhishman on April 30, 2012, 01:34:50 PM
Man I'm  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: !!!

Just a few more days...

Man, I hear ya on the  :crazy:, but I feel more like  :tte: right now. Just sayin'.

gah

It's official. I'm losing my fucking mind! Only 2 and a half more days of work to go!!!!!!!  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

JPhishman

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 30, 2012, 01:38:30 PM

Just a few more days...

Man, I hear ya on the  :crazy:, but I feel more like  :tte: right now. Just sayin'.

Well, you're in Canada, so that's part of the problem. :wink:

I wanna hear more about the Greyboy MJ show.... do tell.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

gah

Quote from: JPhishman on April 30, 2012, 02:01:54 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 30, 2012, 01:38:30 PM

Just a few more days...

Well, you're in Canada, so that's part of the problem. :wink:

I wanna hear more about the Greyboy MJ show.... do tell.

yes, i'm interested in this as well.

gah

Check this, today's officially International Jazz Day, celebrated with a sunrise concert at Armstrong Park.

QuoteOnly in New Orleans could you get hundreds of people to wake up early on a Monday morning for a jazz concert - especially after three days of intense music and partying for the first weekend of the 2012 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

Entertainers included Herbie Hancock, Treme Brass Band, Kermit Ruffins, Dr. Michael White, Terernce Blanchard, and Ellis Marsalis.

Also, as a sidenote, I didn't see heath's  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: post until after alreadt posting mine, but it seems we hit that wall of holy shit it's about to happen around the same time  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

PIE-GUY

Not in Canada yet. In MIA. I hate this place.

The mj show was sick, actually. Better than any Greyboy show I've seen in a couple of years. They were having fun with it and it showed. Of course, I was in the right frame of mind for it, too. That helped. I'll tell yall about it on Thursday.

PIE-GUY

The concert from Congo Square was the soundtrack to my ride to the airport this morning... Broadcast live over WWOZ. Very cool, indeed. Had I stayed in Nola for the week, I would have been there for sure.

The crowd was downright rowdy by the sounds of it. Safe to assume half of the hundreds in attendance had been up through the night at various shows around the city. The mayor said something to that effect and the roar was LOUD. if you're getting rowdy for trad jazz at 7am on a Monday morning, you're officially doing Jazzfest right.

Also of note, April 30th is International Jazz Day as declared by UNESCO... Not just for 2012, either. April 30th will be known as International Jazz Day every year. I love that.

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 30, 2012, 02:41:04 PM
The concert from Congo Square was the soundtrack to my ride to the airport this morning... Broadcast live over WWOZ. Very cool, indeed. Had I stayed in Nola for the week, I would have been there for sure.

The crowd was downright rowdy by the sounds of it. Safe to assume half of the hundreds in attendance had been up through the night at various shows around the city. The mayor said something to that effect and the roar was LOUD. if you're getting rowdy for trad jazz at 7am on a Monday morning, you're officially doing Jazzfest right.

Also of note, April 30th is International Jazz Day as declared by UNESCO... Not just for 2012, either. April 30th will be known as International Jazz Day every year. I love that.

Oh yeah, I gues I forgot the link to the article on that.

http://www.scpr.org/blogs/newmedia/2012/04/30/5853/happy-international-jazz-day-new-orleans-herbie-ha/

And yeah, that's what the mayor said:

QuoteWell, sort of. As Mayor Mitch Landrieu said in his brief remarks opening this sunrise concert kicking off the first-ever UNESCO International Jazz Day, people kept telling him that they couldn't believe all these folks woke up for this.

"I say, 'We never went to bed!'" he quipped, only half-kidding.

Here's the official site, and where you can watch the entire video of the event:

http://jazzday.com/videos/

gah

Also, peep this pic from Wannee...

I need to meet this chick!  :evil:

http://www.jambase.com/Photos/PhotoViewer.aspx?#galleryID=428&photoID=19548

ETA: rain looking more and more likely for Thursday, up to 40% now.

aphineday

I should probably finally check in here. Thursday, and Friday night we had a great time, but kept our heads somewhat, made shows, etc. Saturday night we decided to go out for a good dinner, and then hit a show before GBA plays MJ. After an AWESOME recommendation by GAH of Redfish Grill, we hit up Bourbon Street for the first time. We hit up Felixes for some insane oysters (after a substantial but well worth it wait), then got dinner at Redfish. Here we split the alligator sausage gumbo, 6 bbq oysters (the best fried oysters I've ever had - seriously like an orgasm in the mouth), then split some redfish ravioli, and a jambalaya that made me lose my mind. We basically had a buffet on the table at this point. This is where the night takes a turn.

While waiting for a table, we somehow meet this guy and his wife in the bar, and she starts asking us about politics, specifically "do you like Obama?" We answer yes, and all Hell breaks loose. Bad idea. Anyway, after sparring with this dude's wife (in a half-joking way), this guy is trying to break the tension, and they call our number. Thank God. -Back to the table now-
Guy walks up to our table, asks if we tried the oysters he recommended, and we told him how great they were. He orders us another dozen because "my wife is passed out now, and can't harass anyone anymore". We somehow get those down, and in the process drink a few hurricanes. Bad idea. I forgot how potent those things are.

*Fast forward to 3 hours later* We've hit Jesters, Tropical Isle, and pounded heavy drinks like mad men. Completely blew off the early shows, and were ready to hit GBA. On the way to the street car, we meet up with this guy again outside Tropical Isle, and he bought us YET ANOTHER Hand Grenade. That's about all I remember before my alarm goes off to get up for festival the next morning. We did EXACTLY what GAH warned me NOT to do... we played with fire, fucked around and missed GBA play MJ. Fucking amateur'd

New Orleans 1 Me 0
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...