News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazzfest 2012, or the all things NOLA thread

Started by postjack, October 19, 2011, 11:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Another successful Jazzfest in the bag. Whew. I am spent. I think jp, gah and wtu had an epic night last night. Hoping for some #1's.

Funky Meters busted out Turn on Your Lovelight. Beautiful! My parents survived their first Jazzfest! Success all around.

50 weeks till next time!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

barnesy305

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 06, 2012, 08:32:25 PM
Another successful Jazzfest in the bag. Whew. I am spent. I think jp, gah and wtu had an epic night last night. Hoping for some #1's.

Funky Meters busted out Turn on Your Lovelight. Beautiful! My parents survived their first Jazzfest! Success all around.

50 weeks till next time!

Nice, I was just commenting to Mcgrupp that none of those dudes have posted yet.

WhatstheUse?

full review to come later..... having to much damn fun to paug! NOLA, ftw!
Bring in the dude!

gah

Times. They were good. And they were had.

Pictures, stories, etc to come. Right now, it's sleepy time down south.

BTW, here's the party that was happening up the street when we walked back that one day:

http://fiyawerx.com/

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

WhatstheUse?

Well, I just woke up from sleeping about 15 hours..... which is about 30% MORE sleep than I got the entire Thurs-Mon in New Orleans.  Holy crap I love that city, and couldn't be happier with my first visit.  I've never been to a city before that encouraged you to rage all night long as much as NOLA did -- it felt like an entire city was on my normal sleep schedule for one, it was nice!  Was awake until sunrise every day (and well past sat & sun) and made it to the fest all four days.  I've never seen more music crammed into 96 hours in my entire life -- not anything close, really! And more importantly, I couldn't have done it with a better group of people. JPhishman, his lady, goodabouthood, and I squeezed every damn ounce of fun out of our time there as possible. Also great to see PIE-GUY every day at the fest and run into postjack @ Preservation Hall Jazz Band  :beers:  This place breeds good people!

I've never been to a city that loves music as much as NOLA. You can feel it.  The genuine love for music of all kinds, and an appreciation for the artists who create it is so apparent. And GOOD music.  Not once did I hear shitty rap, pop or techno music playing at bars or around town --- everywhere is playing funk, soul, jazz and old fashioned New Orleans grooves! LOVED IT! Every-other bar you walk into on Frenchman street (the area we stayed in) has free music with some rockin' band that you've likely never heard of! So much talent in that city.  Oh, and did I mention you can drink in the streets? Basically worth visiting for that alone....

I really saw SO much music over the weekend a lot of it is kind of a blur. We usually wouldn't spend more than 30 minutes or so at a particular stage during the fest which seemed to be the best way to do it -- being there's so much going on at once. MMJ was only act the entire weekend I didn't enjoy (don't get the love for them -- so boring...) and my musical highlights during the day of the fest were: Herbie Hancock (duh) Astral Project (amazing drummer) Preservation Hall Jazz Band (so much genuine love for that band in NOLA) and the Funky Meters -- who we're probably my favorite act of the trip because they we're basically the only band I saw that REALLY JAMMED in the way that gets me off.  My only complaint of the weekend was the lack of type 2 jams. They didn't really exist, and that is what REALLY does it for me musically. Don't get me wrong, all the music I saw was amazing, I enjoyed it and they are all very talented musicians, but NO ONE JAMS. I don't get it. Where is the musical exploration? There are "solos"... and there is deep, thick, groove oriented funk..... there is tons of SOUL.... but no full-band jamming in the way that really blows my mind. I guess I need to look elsewhere for that....

As far as post-fest late night activities goes, Galactic at Tipitina's took the cake for me.  That place rocked so hard until the sun was coming up! Oh, and GAH hooks us all up with VIP (I'll let him share the story...)  Then post-Galactic we ended up at a fully packed bar drinking bloody Marys until 7-8 am. Only in NOLA....

Well that's all I got for now, so much more happened but I'll let some of the others fill in the holes. There is NO QUESTION in my mind that I will be returning to NOLA many more times in my life!
Bring in the dude!

gah

I'm still trying to catch up with work, sleep, and wrap my mind around how you even begin to explain last weekend... BUT, I wanted to note, Sunday night we should have hit up Dumpstaphunk at Tips as well. The Neville Bros all showed up, and it became a Neville show with Dumpstaphunk as the backing band, and Trombone Shorty sitting in for good measure. Are you kidding me? Goddamn that city.   :frustrated:

PIE-GUY

gah

WTF!!!!! NOT just shorty, but ani difranco and skerik as well. With Skerik and Shorty trading solos back and forth....

:frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 10, 2012, 04:53:03 PM
This should make you feel better...

http://www.npr.org/event/music/140870607/trombone-shorty-tiny-desk-concert

It does. Also, I pulled the trigger on the remarque poster.

ETA: you see the drummers sittig on one of those exercise balls! ha ha!

Another ETA: One of my favorite moments of the weekend, a pause in the funk for some soul, me heath and his lady were about 5 or 6 feet to the right of this guy, right in front of GPJ for the first 45 mins or so of this show. (scott was in the back macking the cougars :hereitisyousentimentalbastard )

postjack

jazzfest is awesome. i know i only did partial of both weekends but doing two weekends is amazing and exhausting.

here is a video shot from my 4S of Jim James with PHJB:

it was so awesome seeing everybody! so glad aphineday texted me and I ended up at Mickey Hart first weekend, was an unexpectedly magical experience for me. to see Hart ramble about the sun's energy and star clusters during Space really was a dream come true. :clap:

other highlights included PHBJ in the People's Health tent, Jon Cleary and the AMG on Acura, MMJ on 2nd Saturday, Galactic on Acura 2nd Sunday, and the olives in the brass pass tent.

Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

gah

JPhishman

Loving those am sessions clips. George has taken over for Kraz as my #1 guy in music right now. I'm still reflecting heavily on the weekend in search of ways to describe what it did for me. I should get a recap up sometime next week. For now I'll just say this: I've spent the last couple of days online looking at investment properties in NOLA.

:music:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

postjack

Quote from: JPhishman on May 11, 2012, 01:15:52 PM
Loving those am sessions clips. George has taken over for Kraz as my #1 guy in music right now. I'm still reflecting heavily on the weekend in search of ways to describe what it did for me. I should get a recap up sometime next week. For now I'll just say this: I've spent the last couple of days online looking at investment properties in NOLA.

:music:

yeah I am constantly formulating plans to move to NOLA. it would be easy since I live so close.

and GPJ is an angel with a bass guitar.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

gah

That's definitely the dream, moving there. I realized this weekend though that I'd have to have absolute and total control over my demons though to live there full time. It's a helluvamazing payoff to fight for though.

GPJ...yes. He elevated this weekend from just another musician I admire greatly, to a person I look up to and respect as a person of deeper faith and strength.

Another highlight this weekend....

ARRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGAAAAAH!

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: goodabouthood on May 11, 2012, 02:49:27 PM
ARRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGAAAAAH!

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

:wtu:
Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

I would weigh north of 300 lbs if I lived in NOLA. No lie.