News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazzfest 2012, or the all things NOLA thread

Started by postjack, October 19, 2011, 11:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: aphineday on June 08, 2012, 02:05:46 AM
Just got the call that mine is done being framed. First Jazzfest poster to start my collection!

Got mine the other day as well, might be another few weeks before I can get it framed though, but still...super stoked and am already thinking about which one to purchase next (uncle lionel, phillip frazier, or kermit).

Anyhow, I'm glad I went to Galactic 2nd Saturday night, but there's part of me that wishes I'd gone back tot he Parish for round 2 of the A.M. Sessions. Definitely would've happened if I hadn't gotten miracled that Tips ticket. In any case, check some of the Saturday AM Sessions video's here:

http://funkit.virose.net/?p=2515
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

PIE-GUY

So, I don't know if you're friends with GPJ on facebook, but he's been in court all last week and all this week regarding the lawsuit with the former manager for PBS. It's a freaking mess and GPJ is at risk of losing his song publishing rights if the lawsuit succeeds... they are the only thing he has of value and they could go to this a-hole mgr who suing them.

Fingers crossed for the guy... >>>>>>VIBES<<<<<<<
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 22, 2012, 09:20:40 AM
So, I don't know if you're friends with GPJ on facebook, but he's been in court all last week and all this week regarding the lawsuit with the former manager for PBS. It's a freaking mess and GPJ is at risk of losing his song publishing rights if the lawsuit succeeds... they are the only thing he has of value and they could go to this a-hole mgr who suing them.

I'm not on the book, but I've been following along on the thread over at the jazzfest boards as into the proceedings. I still don't think I understand what it's about tho. Its the manager of PBS that's suing them over money he didn't receive for some tours they did?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: goodabouthood on June 22, 2012, 10:20:47 AM

I'm not on the book, but I've been following along on the thread over at the jazzfest boards as into the proceedings. I still don't think I understand what it's about tho. Its the manager of PBS that's suing them over money he didn't receive for some tours they did?

I'm not 100% certain, but I think he's claiming he invested a bunch of money in PBS thinking they would become some big touring juggernaut and they decided to sever ties and break the contract before he was able to recoup all his investment... but they didn't ask him to invest all that money and they claim they didn't breech the contract in any way.

PIE-GUY

aphineday

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 22, 2012, 10:26:00 AM

I'm not 100% certain, but I think he's claiming he invested a bunch of money in PBS thinking they would become some big touring juggernaut and they decided to sever ties and break the contract before he was able to recoup all his investment... but they didn't ask him to invest all that money and they claim they didn't breech the contract in any way.
I didn't even know this was going on. Thanks for the report... definitely sending vibes to GPJ. Saw him 3 nights at Jazzfest... mind blowingly good. Karl Denson/GPJ/Johnny Vidacovich was probably my highlight. Just blew the roof off the Maple Leaf.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

gah

Quote from: aphineday on June 22, 2012, 11:30:04 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 22, 2012, 10:26:00 AM

I didn't even know this was going on. Thanks for the report... definitely sending vibes to GPJ. Saw him 3 nights at Jazzfest... mind blowingly good. Karl Denson/GPJ/Johnny Vidacovich was probably my highlight. Just blew the roof off the Maple Leaf.

Sounds about right!  :-D

aphineday

Pumped to plan better for next year so I can rage it proper with GAH and PG.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

gah

Quote from: aphineday on June 22, 2012, 01:34:59 PM

AND jphishman. He's hooked for every year too.

I'm telling you right now, I'll be there 2nd weekend. Someday I'll be big pimpin' and do both weekends, but until then, you can ALWAYS count on me being there, I start planning before artists are even announced.

December: book flight
January: book hotel
February: buy festival tickets, save spending money
March: buy night show tickets, save spending money
April: save spending money
May: RAGE!

PIE-GUY

Unless something drastically changes in my life (like having a kid something stupid like that), you can count on my presence all 7 days at the fairgrounds.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: goodabouthood on June 22, 2012, 01:47:28 PM

I'm telling you right now, I'll be there 2nd weekend. Someday I'll be big pimpin' and do both weekends, but until then, you can ALWAYS count on me being there, I start planning before artists are even announced.

Your forgot some stuff:

June - Talk about how awesome it is and how the boogaloo is a local paired down version.  Recruit.
July - Talk about how awesome it is and how some day you'll get married and force this as a bachelor party.  Recruit
August - Talk about how awesome it is and how Bear Creek is the mid year festival that is similar.  Recruit.
September - Talk about how awesome it is and how owning a place in NOLA would be the shiz.  Recruit.
October - Talk about how awesome it is and how you hate the Skins.  You'll probably adopt the Saints since you love NOLA so much.  Recruit.
November - Talk about how awesome it is and how you may sit this year out.

And then we move on to December....

:mrgreen:
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

PIE-GUY

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on June 22, 2012, 01:54:48 PM

Your forgot some stuff:

June - Talk about how awesome it is and how the boogaloo is a local paired down version.  Recruit.
July - Talk about how awesome it is and how some day you'll get married and force this as a bachelor party.  Recruit
August - Talk about how awesome it is and how Bear Creek is the mid year festival that is similar.  Recruit.
September - Talk about how awesome it is and how owning a place in NOLA would be the shiz.  Recruit.
October - Talk about how awesome it is and how you hate the Skins.  You'll probably adopt the Saints since you love NOLA so much.  Recruit.

lulz!

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 22, 2012, 01:56:45 PM

Your forgot some stuff:

lulz!

Holy Shit! 3 rors!
:hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

And this is why we're friends. And you're completely right about the July part. None of the bastards that have been saying for years that you'll come will be able to say no if I MAKE you come for something like that. It's the only way I'll ever get you guys down there. And then you'll be hooked.

postjack

Your forgot some stuff:

your astute observation made me lol. :clap:

and voodoo dropped their lineup this weekend:

as usual everyone on the internet hates it, and as usual the festival will still be completely packed out and no one will be able to pee because there are like 12 portalets. lets do this! :clap:

And Neil is a GREAT get, and I have no problem with seeing Jack White again. I like EDM so the festival moving in even a more EDM direction is fine with me, and the slew of local talent means there will always be somebody playing I want to see.

Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

gah

There's some good name local acts on there, but none of the big names that I'd be interested in seeing. But then, if I'm just going for the local acts anyhow, why go on a weekend where there's going to be a mad influx of tourists (well, more than normal at least). Nah, if I'm going to make a 2nd trip a year to NOLA in the fall, I'd rather it be just an off weekend, and I'll likely til get to see just as many great local acts as I might otherwise.

(although the one that really stands out would be to see johnny v, james singleton doing a james booker tribute., missed that this fest as well, as it was one of the 3 am maple leaf shows)