News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazzfest 2012, or the all things NOLA thread

Started by postjack, October 19, 2011, 11:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

I did not, I was there for a wedding and was plenty busy.

Fuck, every time I go back to New Orleans I wish I'd never left. Place rules.
Is this still Wombat?

gah

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 15, 2012, 05:27:22 PM
I did not, I was there for a wedding and was plenty busy.

Fuck, every time I go back to New Orleans I wish I'd never left. Place rules.

Truth.

Also, happy 101st to Lionel Ferbos!

http://www.wwoz.org/new-orleans-community/happy-101st-birthday-lionel-ferbos
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

JPhishman

and still swingin.

That's a beautiful thing.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

gah

gah

Anders doing a couple of my favorite tunes together the other night

cleech74

Hit up Artscape! in Baltimore, yesterday, for Rebirth. I could of swore that actor Wendell Pierce, was sitting in with them, towards the end of their set. He is from NOLA, plays trombone in Treme, and was in the Wire. I gotta check the pics on my gf's phone, to see if we got one of him. I know we got a lil video, if it's audable, I'll post here.

Was next to a guy carrying a pic of Uncle Lionel. He had several others, that he showed us after the set. And had just come back from the funeral. The second line has been postponed to today, at 11am. I found this article looking for pics of the set from yesterday, thought you'd all enjoy!

http://mobile.nola.com/advnola/pm_29229/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Ttgv7Cfz

Oh, being at Artscape! yesterday, is the closest thing to being in NOLA. I had a fried oyster po-boy, right before the band started their festival-closing set. All in all, it was a great day in B-more.

"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

gah

Quote from: cleech74 on July 23, 2012, 07:56:41 AM
Hit up Artscape! in Baltimore, yesterday, for Rebirth. I could of swore that actor Wendell Pierce, was sitting in with them, towards the end of their set. He is from NOLA, plays trombone in Treme, and was in the Wire. I gotta check the pics on my gf's phone, to see if we got one of him. I know we got a lil video, if it's audable, I'll post here.

Was next to a guy carrying a pic of Uncle Lionel. He had several others, that he showed us after the set. And had just come back from the funeral. The second line has been postponed to today, at 11am. I found this article looking for pics of the set from yesterday, thought you'd all enjoy!

http://mobile.nola.com/advnola/pm_29229/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Ttgv7Cfz

Oh, being at Artscape! yesterday, is the closest thing to being in NOLA. I had a fried oyster po-boy, right before the band started their festival-closing set. All in all, it was a great day in B-more.

Thanks for sharing!

Also, just looked up Artscape, looks really fun. Will have to keep that in mind for next year. Looks a lot like Raleigh's Artsplosure.

aphineday

Announced extremely early, but in June of next year I have a reason to dig living in Iowa for once.
Preservation Hall Jazz Band:

Fri 06/07/13       Iowa City, IA    University Of Iowa    

Sat 06/08/13       Iowa City, IA    University Of Iowa    

Sun 06/09/13       Iowa City, IA    University Of Iowa    

Mon 06/10/13       Iowa City, IA    University Of Iowa    

Tue 06/11/13       Iowa City, IA    University Of Iowa    

Wed 06/12/13       Iowa City, IA    University Of Iowa    

Thu 06/13/13       Iowa City, IA    University Of Iowa    

If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

gah

What the? A 7 night run in Iowa? Any idea what that's about?

aphineday

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 23, 2012, 10:44:01 AM
Digging on it right now:

ETA: It's FREE?  :crazy: :crazy: :beers: :music:

A Hancher event.

As anyone in New Orleans would argue, a party just isn't a party without the perfect band. That's why Hancher is bringing the Preservation Hall Jazz Band—Hancher's opening performers in 1972—back to Iowa for a series of seven free outdoor concerts and a red hot 40th anniversary celebration. Named for the esteemed music venue in the heart of New Orleans' French Quarter, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band is a true national treasure. Hailed as "America's Best Traditional Jazz Band" by All About Jazz, the group has been a driving force in American music ever since its inception in 1961, counting jazz royalty like Jelly Roll Morton and Louis Armstrong among its distinguished alumni. Now in its 51st year, this national treasure continues to honor the dirty rags, mournful blues, and laid back swing that form jazz's legacy.

If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

gah

Quote from: aphineday on July 23, 2012, 10:53:27 AM
Quote from: goodabouthood on July 23, 2012, 10:44:01 AM
Digging on it right now:

ETA: It's FREE?  :crazy: :crazy: :beers: :music:

A Hancher event.

As anyone in New Orleans would argue, a party just isn't a party without the perfect band. That's why Hancher is bringing the Preservation Hall Jazz Band—Hancher's opening performers in 1972—back to Iowa for a series of seven free outdoor concerts and a red hot 40th anniversary celebration. Named for the esteemed music venue in the heart of New Orleans' French Quarter, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band is a true national treasure. Hailed as "America's Best Traditional Jazz Band" by All About Jazz, the group has been a driving force in American music ever since its inception in 1961, counting jazz royalty like Jelly Roll Morton and Louis Armstrong among its distinguished alumni. Now in its 51st year, this national treasure continues to honor the dirty rags, mournful blues, and laid back swing that form jazz's legacy.

Lucky bastard. Enjoy that!

gah

A website you guys might enjoy:

http://www.gonola.com/

eta: so as to avoid the trifecta, something else I just was lead to

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/19/157046793/the-mix-new-orleans-inside-out

gah

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Gawd, I am SO in the mood for some brass bands today. Some of that 50/50 love! Nothing like being in the middle of the chaos and happiness