News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R14/W04: 11-25-1995 Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA

Started by UncleEbinezer, December 20, 2011, 10:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

if i recall correctly i attended this show with RJ...and other people? lol...
vaguely remember staying at his old friend from college's house...oh yeah, and lots of uber heady VA beach nuggage that i couldnt really partake in because of some medical issues i'd been nursing that year.
hmmm... other than that, the show i just remember observing the complete change of the lot scene with all the post-dead scene influx compared to that summer. first time people were labeling things like "Shakedown" and such at a Phish show. kinda weird.
i think i prefer the Crap Center show we saw that week, but honestly neither one really ever did  that much for me.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Pholy M. Pia

Set I
Poor Heart - Kicking it off with a bang! High energy and fiery playing. Good start.

ADITL - Interesting placement, not a huge fan of this cover, but it didn't hurt. Pretty uptempo version, I like how the ending gets drawn out into Fish's cymbal intro.

Bowie - Good squirmy noises during the intro. Fast, tight composed session with Page really coming through strong. Some quiet interaction between Page and Trey to open the jam. A little rumbling around in the dark, opening to some good work with the leslie by Trey starting ~6:30 setting the direction to up. Great counter melodies by Mike a minute or so later, with an excellent resolve. Great mix between the discordant chaos and fragments of the climb where they resync. Back and forth, a little higher each time. Some shredtastic peaks before the ending weedly-weedly section. All in all, a hefty Bowie.

Taste that Surrounds - Cool early vocal section, Fish sounds pretty good. This was an OK version, nothing stood out though. A little loss of energy on the ending.

Bouncing - Good a place as any.

Rift - Fierce.

Wolfman's - They hit the beat really hard in the lyric section and Mike starts to assert early on. Rocking rather than relaxed. Neat short jam section with percussive playing and multiple vague threats of strangeness. Tight.

Runaway Jim - Feels odd after Wolfman's. Great rolls on the toms from Fish during the breakdown. The jam is somewhat unremarkable, but good. And that's a Jim. And that's the set.

Set II
Timber - This is good. I mean, this is Good. Fish's playing is just unbelievable. This is a most interesting jam with awesome Trey, again on the leslie. Super edgy.  Gets atonal, dude. Sweet return to the lyrics.

Kung - This is a weird number that I admit I'd never heard before. Yes, I have some noob blood. I'm sure it was a trip to be there.

Mike's - Intense, intricate jam, let by Page to start. Gets very dark and spacy. Pages shift to the organ ~9 is super gooey. >

Rotation jam - Yup. See my last note on Kung, above. >

Mike's -  Picking up where they left off. Getting the job done. Angsty.

Long Journey Home - They sure liked to mix it up in the mid-nineties. Sounds pretty good.

I'm Blue... -  I like this one better. Fun to sing with. Mandolin is traumatized.

Strange Design - I don't like this song. I find the lyrics and melody trite and boring.

Weekapaug - Mike saves the day. Sooooper smooth, he just kills this. Sounds like the rest of the band can't quite match him though and Trey kind of limps into the solo. Some quick quiet lead lines, and we are back on track. The melody comes and goes, then a nice return to main theme jam. Page really banging at the grand. Mike still heavy in the back. Trey jumping from lead fragments to chord chomping somewhat randomly. ~ 5 min in they dissolve slightly and page comes in with fire jazz piano while Trey and Mike do some nice start stop rhythm. Page refuses to be quelled when Trey tries to start up the ending and this results in some heated mutant riffing with Page still just going off. Again, it seems T brings the ending lyrics in a bit abruptly. Fascinating listen, full of tension.

Hood - Perfect follow up to that freaky Paug. Page is very creative during the beginning segments and Trey is lush. Mike has no lag, and is driving the tempo. Great harmonics during the quiet parts before Mr. Minor. This jam is a perfect example, super sweet, so simple sounding on the ears, but textured. Layered and rich, fading to sparse colored threads. The build is long. The crescendo is mighty.
Good Hood.

Hello My Baby - I like this before the encore.

Poor Heart - it's slower, and definitely interesting, but somehow the kicking of shit seems less up their alley. That was weird, man.

Encore

????? - ?????? Odd sense of humor tonight.

Fya - Trey gives us the rawk hammah.

This was a strange show to me, but I find much of 95 (and 96 for that matter) have this frantic, questing disjointed feel. Still, it had some real heaters in there, notably for me, the Bowie, Timber and Weekapaug.

A real bender of a first show!
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

Buffalo Budd

Set 1:
Poor Heart - Fun opener, well played.  Right into >

Day in the Life - I actually prefer this tune in this slot.  I don't find it an exciting song and would rather here than later in the show as per usual.  Great rendition here, feedback leads to >

David Bowie - Short intro, composed section on point.  Trey has some really tasteful runs around 6:50.  Lots of patience in this jam, the build is incredible.  Every member seems to be on in this jam.

Billy Breathes - Not what I would want to follow that Bowie with but like the song.

Taste - I'm not a huge fan of the old Tastes, I prefer it more around 97ish.  Jam doesn't do anything for me.  Next

Bouncing - Yup.

Rift - Really fast and tight, just how I like it.  Fish is a machine.

Wolfman's Brother - They stretch out the vocal jam a little, then settle into a funky groove but they don't take it too far.

Runaway Jim - Used to hearing this in the opening slot so it's nice to get it to close a set.  Like the break down with Trey and Fish before going into the signature lick.  Trey was so great at quietly plucking away before thundering back in.  Steady build to this jam, not a crazy version but holds it's own.

2nd Set:
Timber - One of my favourites, fun way to start the 2nd.  Fish riding the cymbals pretty hard early in the jam as trey finds a theme, Page layering nicely over this while Mike drives it forward.  I just love how dirty Timber jams sometimes get and this one does not disappoint.  Some disonnant chords enter around the 5:00 mark and Fish continues to hammer away.  Some wild leads by Page around 6:30 as Trey gets more distorted and just as they start to go crazy, they slide right back into the verse.  Fun version into "

Kung - I've yet to see a Kung and would be pretty confused if I'd gotten one in my first show.  I'm not a crazy fan of this song other than the somewhat novelty of it but this one is kind of fun with the 'golf cart marathon' madness.

Mikes Song - This starts right away and is a rager.  Page takes the wheel right off the bat and Trey gradually joins in.  Really enjoy the back and forth between the 2 almost trying to outdo one another, Page for pres on this one, just nasty some of the shit he is throwing down in this version.  Into > 

Rotation Jam - This sounds kinda cool, would have been a lot cooler to witness live.  Kinda derails a bit in parts and goes on way too long for my liking (I will refer you to my usual feelings on YEM vocal jams).  I enjoy the ending the most.

Mike's Song - Cool way to end this sandwich and includes some nice chord changes and tasteful licks from Trey.

Long Journey Home - I'm a sucker for acoustic Phish and especially love me some bluegrass.

Blue & Lonesome -  Same as above 'cept ouch on the mando solo.

Strange Design - Really love this tune and I find it works well in this slot.

Weekapaug - Thought this may make an appearance, gets everyone dancing I'm sure.  Fish sounds great in the mix as this jam starts off.  Trey laying down some beautiful lines, Page joins in the fun, then takes over around 5:40 in.  The chairman really is shining through in this show.  Cool ending.

Harry Hood - Composed section is sublime, Mr Minor part comes in with some ferocity but a botched note by Trey at the end.  Oh well.  The jam slides along very slowly and quiets down around the 9:40 mark.  Less is more folks, I love this style jam.  Things start to build towards the refrain at the 11:30 mark.  Page piling layers of keys onto the notes Trey is playing and then into the good about hood.  Kick ass version in my books.

Hello My Baby - Nice.

Poor Heart - Cool, reminds me a little of the slower versions of Water in the Sky.  Mike's vocals really shine through.  Trey's country twang bends really fits great.  Really enjoy this version and would have loved it had I been there and not expected it.

Encore:
Fire - Haha, love the tease.  Small flub from Trey leading into the 3rd verse.  Nice leads buy Trey, always enjoy Fire closing out a show, send ya rocking into the night.

Would have been a great first show.
I'd give it an A-
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VA $l!m

for those of you that don't already know the Poor Heart theme was relevant to the version they played earlier in the week @ Crap Center.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Pholy M. Pia

Quote from: VA $l!m on January 04, 2012, 11:11:13 AM
for those of you that don't already know the Poor Heart theme was relevant to the version they played earlier in the week @ Crap Center.

Thanks! Backstory is good!
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA $l!m on December 26, 2011, 11:50:54 AM
vaguely remember staying at his old friend from college's house...oh yeah, and lots of uber heady VA beach nuggage that i couldnt really partake in because of some medical issues i'd been nursing that year.
hmmm... other than that, the show i just remember observing the complete change of the lot scene with all the post-dead scene influx compared to that summer. first time people were labeling things like "Shakedown" and such at a Phish show. kinda weird.
i think i prefer the Crap Center show we saw that week, but honestly neither one really ever did  that much for me.

That stuff happened.

birdman

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 05, 2012, 02:08:33 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on December 26, 2011, 11:50:54 AM

That stuff happened.

Its funny because when Phish started their summer 95 tour out West the GD were gearing up to start their summer tour back East. For the first half dozen shows that summer the lot was filled with Deadheads and all the nice things that came along with them. As soon as they were gone the scene changed dramatically. Gone were all the super dirty wooks and major vendors, which was nice, but they also took all the good drugs with them, leaving phish lot relatively dry. I dont think many of us were ready for the massive influx that came in the fall.
Paug FTMFW!

whatapiper

11-25-95

Poor Heart - Fun opener, solid high energy.

ADITL - interesting placement and combo.  Page's night

Bowie - wow sweetness, unique opening trio.   No intro on this one, straight to Bowie.   Composed seemed fine.   Jam starts really loose and somewhat direction less.  Has a 94 feel to it.  Trey's tone sounds great in the coliseum.   Around 8 min in jam takes on a timber quality via fishman before getting back to familiar territory.   Love the patient gradual build to the peak.  Fish really seems on point. Solid overall for an early first set version.

Billy - no notes 

Fog that Surrounds - early workings in the making

Bouncing - sure, bathroom break

Rift - played with precision and a thundering solo from Page

Wolfman's - pre cow funk- funk.  

Jim - playful version as I love jims from this era.  Full of soul and hard hitting 

Timber - could here this coming in that Bowie.   Manteca tease? Dark and great suspended notes by Trey.

Kung- the G rated version 

Mike's - Page driven and menacing lead into >

Rotation Jam - first eva? Had to be there.  

Mike's - great transition back to Mike's, sounded like simple could have made the cut

Long Journey Home - strange placement but enjoy these while they last.

Blue and Lonesome - Fun to hear Fishman solo on the mandolin 

Strange Design - more Page

Weekapaug - Back on track despite taking a moment to really get going around 5 min in.  Page wins tonight.  Reminds me a bit of the 12/31 version as I keep waiting for the Auld Lang Syne tease.  

Hood - Fall 95 Hoods are typically what dreams are made of and no disappointment here.   Composed sounded just right.    Mr Miner section smooth right into the jam section.  Quality finish.  

Hello My Baby - yep 

Poor Heart - slow down shuffle version, very  cool but an odd closer.

E: poor heart - I see what you're doing here. 

Fire - a little sloppy but when is it not?

Fun first show no doubt about that.  The Phishy playfulness of the era comes out.  I was living a few miles down the road but didn't make it to this one for whatever reason.   All my buddies talked about this "poor heart" show for quite some time.   Overall not my favorite show, flow is a bit off but definitely some great moments.  Hood, Mike's and Kung all highlights.

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Caravan2001

Poor Heart: Ripping version, kinda like the placement.
A Day in the Life:  Odd placement, but it works for me
David Bowie: Great version, my wife (who attended this show) said she was probably looking for an exit (escape)
Billy Breathes:  Aweseome version, I love the early ones.  Great intro.
Fog That Surrounds: I love the older arrangement, wish they would bring it back
Bouncing: yep
Rift: solid
Wolfman's:  Really love the tempo and "bounce" of this one.  Great placement too.
Runaway Jim:  Good/great version.  I love the snare emphasis on the breakdown...

Timber Ho-  THis is the way to start a second set.  Great pounding drums from Fish
Kung:  possibly my favorite version of Kung-- I lOVE  this!
Mike's Song:  Also starts with a great bouncy tempo.  Long and drawn out with some twists and turns....bogs down at some points for me, but for the most part this is tits...the goods
Long Blue and Lonesome Journey Home:  The VA peeps were prolly loving the country toons.....
Strange Design: Fall 95 staple, this one works....
Weekapaug:  Great Fall 95 version, this rocks. Me likey
Harry Hood: Amazing version, so clean and crisp.
Hello My baby:  Hello....
Poor Heart:  Makes this show a special one.  Cool.
Poor Heart Reprise: Even more specialer. Cool
Fire:  Good version, sends the kids off on a rocking note.

I love Fall 95 and this show is no exception.  Had not heard it in years.  I love it. A-.  Great first non-festival show!