News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

N00b FLAC Question

Started by aphineday, December 30, 2011, 11:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aphineday

I've been playing with good audio files a lot (FLAC 16 & 24). I figured that now that I have some good cans, I have more of a reason to mess with this stuff.
One thing I've noticed with the GDead '72 stuff especially is that it sounds really "airy". It's like I can hear everything, but there is a pretty solid hiss of air on top of it. It's really distracting to me, to the point that I almost like the MP3s more. What am I doing wrong? I'm currently playing back with VLC.

I know it has to be a problem on my end, as I've heard plenty of releases (Dick's and Road Trips) from these same time periods with a much clearer all around sound.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some help to a complete audio newb.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Superfreakie

First off, there is hiss in the EU '72 recordings (not just from the analog recording process/gear used at the time but also from the electric equipment on stage). This could have been removed or reduced during the mastering process, however, to do so would have reduce the tonal qualities of the recording, and for purists, this would of been maddening. That said, the hiss should not be noticeable once the music starts.

Second point, VLC, with it's ability to play virtually any video encoding known to man, has been strictly designed for pr0n consumption. Although I doubt this would be causing the hiss, I do suggest you try out audio players such as winamp or foobar. I use winamp when I'm tripping cause nothing beats the thousands of stock trippy visualizations that I can throw up on my big screen TV.       
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sls.stormyrider

agree with SF 100% about the hiss. It's there to some degree or other on most of the GD 72 in circ. I hear it less on the official release stuff.

there was quite the argument a few years back regarding some remasters of 5-26 (my favorite show of the tour). They were "definite improvements" and "must have d/l". After spending many, laborious hours comparing the recordings, my favorite source is still Hollister. There's hiss that is noticeable in between tracks and a little during quiet parts of tunes, but the high end can't be beat. You can really hear Billy's sticks hitting the cymbals with clarity. That clarity on the high end isn't there, to my ears, when they removed the hiss.

VLC is great, Cog is worth trying too. It goes from track to track better than VLC. Also, if you are planning out several hours of listening and open up a few folders at a time, VLC will jump to the last folder you open. Cog won't. Cog also plays SHN which VLC doesn't. That said, it can be a little buggy, but I have only rarely had a problem with it.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

aphineday

Gents, thanks so much for the EXTREMELY helpful responses. +k to 'ya both.

I apologize again for being such a complete zero on this stuff, but I do definitely have the desire to listen to high quality music.
As for the hiss, now that I know that everyone else who listens to FLAC files deals with the same (and from SLS's  description of the high end, and Billy's sticks), re listening kind of opens up a new dimension for me. I can definitely hear a better high end, and TONS more detail on the FLAC v MP3.

My biggest bitch about VLC is probably the whole adding other shows bug. I HATE it that when I add something else to listen to, it starts it right off. I'll definitely look into Cog, as I'm running and MBP, and can't utilize Winamp.

Thanks again, and happy listening in 2012!!

mbw

Also, you gotta break those grados in.

aphineday

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 31, 2011, 01:00:15 PM
Definitely. I have just been listening, and enjoying how much better they sound every hour. I've read a little on the Grado "break in", but what is the average time table until they are optimal?

nab

Quote from: aphineday on December 31, 2011, 01:29:51 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 31, 2011, 01:00:15 PM
Definitely. I have just been listening, and enjoying how much better they sound every hour. I've read a little on the Grado "break in", but what is the average time table until they are optimal?

If you want to be really honest with yourself and the break- in process, you will understand that it is two-fold; the time it takes for the headphones to show their true potential and the time it takes for you to warm up to the sound of your new headphones. 

I let mine play almost continuously at moderately high (just a little loud to my ears) volume for a couple of days after I bought them, listening at normal volume when I was listening to music and keeping them under a pillow when not. 

By the second evening I had the phones, I figured that was enough.  I stuck them on my head and worried no more about break-in. 

Been enjoying them ever since. 

Did the break-in help?  Maybe.  But I also came to appreciate them more the more I listened to them.   

Superfreakie

Another thing to keep in mind is that some players/soundcards do not automatically toggle for the format/encoding being played. For example, when using winamp through my M-Audio Soundcard, I have to manually set the bit rate and KHZ on the soundcard. Yesterday, I forgot and was playing a 24/96 at 16/44 and it sounded horrible....then I remembered.

Also, you'll want to eventually invest in a DAC/headphone amp. 
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

aphineday

Quote from: Superfreakie on December 31, 2011, 05:47:27 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that some players/soundcards do not automatically toggle for the format/encoding being played. For example, when using winamp through my M-Audio Soundcard, I have to manually set the bit rate and KHZ on the soundcard. Yesterday, I forgot and was playing a 24/96 at 16/44 and it sounded horrible....then I remembered.

Also, you'll want to eventually invest in a DAC/headphone amp. 
Interesting. I'll definitely check that out.
As for the DAC/amp. I'll probably have some questions before I purchase, so I may come looking for advice yet again ;)
Thanks for the help!!