News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2012 Election Thread

Started by runawayjimbo, January 03, 2012, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: Hicks on October 05, 2012, 11:16:41 AM

"No props, notes, charts, diagrams or other writings can be used by the candidates; however, they can take notes on the type of paper of their choosing."

Perhaps he interpreted "type of paper of their choosing" to include "3x5 cards with notes written on them that I will provide."
Is this still Wombat?

gah

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 05, 2012, 11:53:18 AM

"No props, notes, charts, diagrams or other writings can be used by the candidates; however, they can take notes on the type of paper of their choosing."

Perhaps he interpreted "type of paper of their choosing" to include "3x5 cards with notes written on them that I will provide."

Sounds good to me. Hey, if you're not cheating, you're not trying. He gets my vote for that move right there alone.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on October 05, 2012, 11:03:38 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 05, 2012, 08:35:04 AM
114k jobs, almost exactly as expected (115k). Unemployment rate falls to 7.8% from 8.1% (8.2% expected). Like in previous months, however, this is most likely driven almost exclusively by people leaving the labor force.

Pretty anti-climactic. Both sides will use it to say "See, the other guy is wrong." Probably a win for Obama's run out the clock strategy.

"Unemployment under 8% for the first time in three years."

Even you have to admit that's a pretty killer soundbite for Obama to hang his hat on.

Maybe, but like most soundbites it completely ignores the reality of the situation. But if people see the drop as a sign that the economy is getting better, it's game over.

The stock market's reaction has been less than exuberant (up under 0.5% so far) as people have dived into the numbers and realized that the drop still shows severe labor market weakness (it was driven by part time workers who want to be full time, namely people who's 99 weeks are up and now gotta find a gig, hence the broader U-6 measure was unchanged). But I agree with your original point: in the political context, facts are meaningless.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Hicks

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 05, 2012, 01:12:56 PM
114k jobs, almost exactly as expected (115k). Unemployment rate falls to 7.8% from 8.1% (8.2% expected). Like in previous months, however, this is most likely driven almost exclusively by people leaving the labor force.

Pretty anti-climactic. Both sides will use it to say "See, the other guy is wrong." Probably a win for Obama's run out the clock strategy.

Even you have to admit that's a pretty killer soundbite for Obama to hang his hat on.

Maybe, but like most soundbites it completely ignores the reality of the situation. But if people see the drop as a sign that the economy is getting better, it's game over.

The stock market's reaction has been less than exuberant (up under 0.5% so far) as people have dived into the numbers and realized that the drop still shows severe labor market weakness (it was driven by part time workers who want to be full time, namely people who's 99 weeks are up and now gotta find a gig, hence the broader U-6 measure was unchanged). But I agree with your original point: in the political context, facts are meaningless.

Yep this is the 2012 Election Thread, not the 2012 Reality Thread. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

Intrade up 5% today, back to 70% FWIW. The debate pop has completely retraced.

Guyute

Quote from: Hicks on October 05, 2012, 01:16:57 PM

The number today is heavily skewed.  The harsh reality is that unemployment has run out for many and the election has stalled hiring/growth until we know who is in charge, business and the markets hate uncertainty.  The drop is because so many have stopped looking for work and when they do they are no longer counted as unemployed.   The reason the stock market isn't jumping on this is because they know this.  If it were a real drop there would be a rally, not a 61 point gain as I write this.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

Hicks

Quote from: goodabouthood on October 05, 2012, 11:54:54 AM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 05, 2012, 11:53:18 AM

Sounds good to me. Hey, if you're not cheating, you're not trying. He gets my vote for that move right there alone.

USA!  USA!  USA!
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Hicks

Quote from: Guyute on October 05, 2012, 01:21:27 PM

The number today is heavily skewed.  The harsh reality is that unemployment has run out for many and the election has stalled hiring/growth until we know who is in charge, business and the markets hate uncertainty.  The drop is because so many have stopped looking for work and when they do they are no longer counted as unemployed.   The reason the stock market isn't jumping on this is because they know this.  If it were a real drop there would be a rally, not a 61 point gain as I write this.

Uh did you read anything I wrote?

Guyute

Quote from: Hicks on October 05, 2012, 01:22:55 PM

Was meant to add to it.  You talked about them needing to find a gig.  I was trying to call out how many had stopped trying. 
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

runawayjimbo

LOL

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/05/mitt-romney-handkerchief-cheat-sheet-debate_n_1942790.html

Mitt Romney Campaign Says Candidate Had A Handkerchief, Not A Cheat Sheet, At The Debate

The internet produced a theory on Friday that at Wednesday night's debate, Mitt Romney snuck a cheat sheet filled with notes on stage. The evidence comes from the first few seconds of the debate, during which Romney takes something out of his pocket and casually tosses it on to the lectern.

So, did Romney push the debate rules by bringing debate instructions on stage with him?

No, his campaign said. Spokeswoman Andrea Saul said the thing Romney pulled out of his pocket was actually a handkerchief.

A separate video has confirmed for many that the item indeed was a handkerchief. Romney is seen wiping his face with it during the closing statements of the debate.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Guyute on October 05, 2012, 01:26:59 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 05, 2012, 01:22:55 PM

Was meant to add to it.  You talked about them needing to find a gig.  I was trying to call out how many had stopped trying.

That was me, and I agree wholeheartedly. The market is unimpressed for good reason.

Also, who are you, Jack Welch? :wink:

VDB

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 05, 2012, 01:30:57 PM

LOL

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/05/mitt-romney-handkerchief-cheat-sheet-debate_n_1942790.html

Mitt Romney Campaign Says Candidate Had A Handkerchief, Not A Cheat Sheet, At The Debate

The internet produced a theory on Friday that at Wednesday night's debate, Mitt Romney snuck a cheat sheet filled with notes on stage. The evidence comes from the first few seconds of the debate, during which Romney takes something out of his pocket and casually tosses it on to the lectern.

So, did Romney push the debate rules by bringing debate instructions on stage with him?

No, his campaign said. Spokeswoman Andrea Saul said the thing Romney pulled out of his pocket was actually a handkerchief.

A separate video has confirmed for many that the item indeed was a handkerchief. Romney is seen wiping his face with it during the closing statements of the debate.

Fair enough. I had forgotten about the handkerchief but remember it now. That sweat glistening on his upper lip kept distracting me the whole damn time. How Nixonian of him.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 05, 2012, 01:40:06 PM

LOL

Fair enough. I had forgotten about the handkerchief but remember it now. That sweat glistening on his upper lip kept distracting me the whole damn time. How Nixonian of him.

But I want my scandal!!!

Also, normal people keep their hankys in their pocket. 

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on October 05, 2012, 01:47:01 PM

LOL

But I want my scandal!!!

You didn't actually believe some conspiracy theory that you saw on one of your crazy left wing "news" sites, did you? :wink:

Also, Hicks says "hanky". ::points and laughs::

Hicks

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 05, 2012, 02:07:36 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 05, 2012, 01:47:01 PM

LOL

But I want my scandal!!!

You didn't actually believe some conspiracy theory that you saw on one of your crazy left wing "news" sites, did you? :wink:

Also, Hicks says "hanky". ::points and laughs::

Well like anyone born after 1970 I don't use them, so perhaps I'm not fully hip to the nomenclature. 

Also, middle class chumps like me call it a "sleeve" usually. 

Also, also yeah I first saw it on a liberal conspiracy site that I believe is called "The Facebooks".