News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2012 Election Thread

Started by runawayjimbo, January 03, 2012, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on October 16, 2012, 10:29:44 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 16, 2012, 10:25:41 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 16, 2012, 10:23:19 PM
Obama is still leading the electoral map and needs a "game changer"?

OK then.

It's all about the momentum, which, coming into today was clearly in Romney's favor.

And the map you speak of changes depending on which poll you look at. No clear consensus. I can draw up a bunch of very plausible paths to a Romney victory.

Plausible?   No clear consensus?  That's hardly a commanding lead.

RCP has 201-191 Obama with 146 tossups. Before the first debate that was 251-181 Obama. PA, OH, MI, WI - all previously leaning Obama - now tossups. You tell me who's in the driver seat.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mattstick

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Guyute on October 16, 2012, 10:28:53 PM
Its funny, because I have seen Obama as being horrendous, I mean really bad.  Romney had performed worse than the last debate.  He had some clear openings for the knock out punch and missed.   

I'm not saying Obama hasn't been full of shit, he has; I was just saying his performance from last time was far improved. Only on style, I would give this round to Obama. But while the left will celebrate Obama as the Comeback Kid, I'm not sure he will play as well with the middle class as they might think it will.

Obama needs to get out of this OK and then get back to making speeches and getting air time on that front.  When I hear quotes like "the reason gas prices were so low is because the economy was on the verge of collapse" it is just so nonsensical that I don't know what to make of it.

One of my most LOLworthy highlights in a night filled with them.

The next jobs report is most likely the deciding factor.  If favorable and the stock market continues to climb Obama should be fine for the election.  If not it could be the opening Romney needs.

Maybe, but it's only a couple of days before the election. Most people will have their mind solidly made up by then. At least I hope they would (if not, what the fuck have you been doing for the past 18 months?)

Guyute

Quote from: mattstick on October 16, 2012, 10:38:21 PM
47%!

Chug!

It's just how it is.  There is 47% on each side that don't move much.  they are basically battling for the middle that are undecided.  I wish we would just do away with the electoral college so that everyone's vote counted.  You get the popular vote and you win, period.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

Hicks

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 16, 2012, 10:34:14 PM

OK then.

It's all about the momentum, which, coming into today was clearly in Romney's favor.

And the map you speak of changes depending on which poll you look at. No clear consensus. I can draw up a bunch of very plausible paths to a Romney victory.

RCP has 201-191 Obama with 146 tossups. Before the first debate that was 251-181 Obama. PA, OH, MI, WI - all previously leaning Obama - now tossups. You tell me who's in the driver seat.

A slim lead is still a lead, keep spinning brah.

Also, what's the deal with Ann Romney's hair, she looks like she just rolled out of bed.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Hicks

Quote from: Guyute on October 16, 2012, 10:42:43 PM
Quote from: mattstick on October 16, 2012, 10:38:21 PM
47%!

Chug!

It's just how it is.  There is 47% on each side that don't move much.  they are basically battling for the middle that are undecided.  I wish we would just do away with the electoral college so that everyone's vote counted.  You get the popular vote and you win, period.

Meh fuck that, I think we should just have the Supreme Court appoint the Prez every time.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

Can someone please get MSNBC a time clock? Chris Matthews again pushing that Romney crowded out Obama's speaking time. CNN has Obama +3:15.

And now for my sadistic ritual of flipping back between Fox and MSNBC. Then I punch myself in the balls and call it a night.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on October 16, 2012, 10:42:47 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 16, 2012, 10:34:14 PM

OK then.

A slim lead is still a lead, keep spinning brah.

Also, what's the deal with Ann Romney's hair, she looks like she just rolled out of bed.

It's hard to spin when you don't have a horse to back. Mine are simply observations.

Funny that it was Romney who brought up the 47% first. That couldn't have been on anyone's drinking list.

I fucking hate Chris Hayes.

Guyute

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 16, 2012, 10:44:32 PM
Can someone please get MSNBC a time clock? Chris Matthews again pushing that Romney crowded out Obama's speaking time. CNN has Obama +3:15.

And now for my sadistic ritual of flipping back between Fox and MSNBC. Then I punch myself in the balls and call it a night.

I do the same thing.  I have found that over the last year MSNBC has become more biased than Fox, which I didn't think was possible.  Really? Al Sharpton is your post debate commentator, he's the biggest Obama fan-boy in the country.  Let me turn to Fox and see if they have Rush or O'Reilly on for their side to balance it out.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Guyute on October 16, 2012, 10:49:39 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 16, 2012, 10:44:32 PM

I do the same thing.  I have found that over the last year MSNBC has become more biased than Fox, which I didn't think was possible.  Really? Al Sharpton is your post debate commentator, he's the biggest Obama fan-boy in the country.  Let me turn to Fox and see if they have Rush or O'Reilly on for their side to balance it out.

Don't tell that to V00D00BR3W :wink:

alcoholandcoffeebeans

I think my family infuriates me a helluva lot more during the debate than the debate itself.

This is the first election I've REALLY been involved in learning more on my own(news, debates, reading their policies, etc.)

I think I still hate politics. There's my vote.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

runawayjimbo

Gonna be a LOT of "fact checking" from both sides on the Libya/"act of terror" brouhaha. Left will say "Yes, he used the words"; right will say "He was talking about 9/11 or terrorism in general, not Libya."

My prediction: it's gonna be some more finger pointing and semantic bullshit about who said what instead of anything substantive. Everybody wins.

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on October 16, 2012, 10:54:55 PM

Me too, but I'm hooked on this shit and I don't know why. It's like, I know I don't have to jerk off every night, but what the hell else am I gonna do?

Guyute

For transparency while watching the debate I was on another screen trying to design how to create software to ensure Dodd-Frank compliance.   What a crap bill.  2074 pages, 500 new regulations and they have only written the rules for 15 of them so far.  What's worse is it has no more teeth than the 47 page Glass-Segal act.

Let's just say it does slant my view as I live in this crap all day, every day.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 16, 2012, 11:01:17 PM
Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on October 16, 2012, 10:54:55 PM

Me too, but I'm hooked on this shit and I don't know why. It's like, I know I don't have to jerk off every night, but what the hell else am I gonna do?

Heard.

I think we're in the same boat. Train wreck...... Can.not.look.away.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

sls.stormyrider

George Will
"i have seen every debate in American history, this was the best"
"Obama had a tactical victory"

Personally, I would give the Prez a slight advantage
Will it be enough to win? still close.

the one Romney comment that got me was no tax on interest and cap gains.
can you say - regressive??
I'm surprised Obama didn't jump on that.

best Obama - showing how Romney changed from the primaries to the general
best Romney - things suck now, why should we keep this guy?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."