News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2012 Election Thread

Started by runawayjimbo, January 03, 2012, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: sophist on October 22, 2012, 10:30:56 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/17/mitt-romney-auto-bailout_n_1974906.html

Total bullshit.  If you google it, every article cited how he wanted to let the auto industry fail with the exception of private sector help.  Fucking soulless liar.

Well, not every article:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/23/barack-obama/obama-says-romney-opposed-any-government-help-resc/

Also, fact checkers can be wrong too ya know (although not in this case).

And I was so confused last night by Hicks' outburst in Mormon hate until I saw Andrew Sullivan playing the M card and realized it was just your defense mechanism in the face of a potential Romney presidency.

Intrade at 56% (down 7% today). Also, a Romney flash today proves (to the left) that Intrade is too easily manipulated to predict anything (without recognizing that this somewhat illiquid, inefficient market corrected itself in a matter of mins).

Quote from: phil on October 23, 2012, 12:43:17 PM
U guyz r silly.

Vote for me as a write-in. A vote for phil means mandatory weed for everyone over 15 years of age and jail time as punishment for getting worked up over political b.s.

Yall can come hang with me at the white house, I hear the grub there is nice.

Is that "phil" or "phillip"?
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Hicks

Lol, pretty sure I told you intrade wasn't scientific weeks ago.

Also, I've always hated Mormons just like anyone with half a brain who lives West of the Mississippi.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on October 23, 2012, 09:07:11 PM
Lol, pretty sure I told you intrade wasn't scientific weeks ago.

Also, I've always hated Mormons just like anyone with half a brain who lives West of the Mississippi.

I never said it was scientific, I said it was BETTER than science. Also LOL at calling predictive modeling and polls with a 9% response rate "science".

Hicks

pshaw everybody knows there aint nothing better than science.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on October 23, 2012, 10:00:29 PM
pshaw everybody knows there aint nothing better than science.

Don't tell that to Republicans.

Seriously, everyone should be watching Larry King in this 3rd party debate.

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

rowjimmy

sunrisevt

Quote from: Undermind on October 24, 2012, 06:13:35 AM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/23/gop-senate-candidate-pregnancies-from-rape-gods-will/?hpt=hp_t2

:shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

Yeah, let's not any of us forget this little gem from our opposition VP candidate, offered a few short months ago... (Money line @ 1:05-1:15)

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

VDB

Quote from: Undermind on October 24, 2012, 06:13:35 AM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/23/gop-senate-candidate-pregnancies-from-rape-gods-will/?hpt=hp_t2

:shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

I have to say, as much as I disagree with them severely, I have to acknowledge that people who oppose abortion in cases of rape or incest are at least being consistent in their beliefs. For the sake of argument, let's accept as a premise that you are going to oppose abortion. It's entirely reasonable, under the belief system that leads people to that position, to take a no-exceptions stance on the issue. (I'll note here that I do think providing an exception to protect the life of the mother is actually consistent with that pro-life stance in the first place.)

In reading the guy's quote -- "I struggled with it myself for a long time, and I realized that life is a gift from God, and I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something God intended to happen" -- I think it's fair to take the guy's word that his point was that God "intended" that the life be conceived there, not that the person be raped in the first place.

This guy is saying, "My belief is that sperm + egg = life; therefore, if a sperm meets an egg no matter what the circumstances, I believe at that instant the purpose is to create life and I don't want to interfere with that." You have to admit, they are sticking up for what they believe in, and there's something admirable about that.

Now, that being said, in these post-Todd Aiken days, you'd think that any pol would craft their words on this topic extremely carefully so as not to stir up a shitstorm they can't recover from. Just the construction of his sentence alone leaves the door open for someone to accuse him of expressing an belief that "God intends rape," and that itself is something you don't want to have to spend time defending or responding to.

Why couldn't he have just said, "Look, I believe that life begins at conception, and all such lifeforms are just as innocent as any others. I don't think it's right to terminate those innocent lives because of circumstances they had no control over"? Because think about it -- the debate in these specific cases isn't abortions vs. no abortions. It's about rape/incest exceptions or not. It's saying to the pol -- OK, you oppose abortion, but do you still oppose it in these cases? And he can say, "Yes, I make no distinction from the fetus' point of view. Why do you think I should?" This would throw it back to the opposition and make them explain why it's OK to oppose aborting some fetuses but not others.

The typical response to people who oppose abortion in cases of rape and incest is to portray them as being cruel to women. If I were advising these candidates, I'd have them turn the issue around and make it not about the mother but about the innocent life they are trying to protect. Make it about their own compassion and moral consistency, and not about their draconian views on women. Seems to me like they could put themselves in a more favorable light, and they never fully grab this opportunity.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

There's this lady my mom knows who is extremely pro-life. What has she done about it? She has fostered over 150 infants over the last 25 years. Most of them are born addicted to crack or heroin. She barely sleeps because they barely sleep. I have nothing but respect for this woman.

The people who spend all their time and energy into pro-life causes ought to look at this model. You want fewer abortions in this country? Give unwanted kids a chance. It's a much better use of your time and energy than protesting.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mattstick

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill